Which pens other than Esterbrook J-series do Renew-Point nibs fit in, please?

PithyProlix

I have no problem fitting Renew-Point nibs in three old cigar-shaped Koh-i-noor Rapidographs. But perhaps they had inner caps that are now missing (?). The nib screws way down into the section, which looks a bit strange, but I don't think there are any issues with it.

Renew-Point nibs fit in all Osmiroid 65 & 75 models. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are later Osmiroid models that are totally different. The later models have the nib integrated with section like most pens. Also, early 65s - the ones that are cigar shaped - seem to have problems with plastic shrinkage, by the way. I have a few and the cap doesn't screw down very far on about half of them.

Venus: only certain models, none of which I have encountered yet. (Venus owned Esterbrook at some point.)

I believe Sengbuschs required an inkwell but I'm not sure about that.

As I also mentioned, Burnham B48. I don't have one (yet) but there are a few mentions saying that they are compatible.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Hagbard Celine

• dms525

• gweimer1

I have a few of the Venus pens that use screw-in nibs.  These all pre-dated when Venus bought out Esterbrook, in the '60s.

There is also a Ferber pen, which I was told was a sub-brand of Esterbrook.

This photo clarifies the Osmiroid-Esterbrook size issue, I hope.

710138419_osmiroid-esterbrooknibcomp.jpg.d78fba5103d57738de305b00f5716b0e.jpg

From left to right: Esterbrook Fine-Flexible, Osmiroid Fine-Flexible, Osmiroid Italic.

Except for the nipple on the Osmiroids, the carrier bodies of the Osmiroids and Esterbrooks are the same. But, the Osmiroid Italic nibs are shorter than the Osmiroid round-tipped nibs. That may make a difference in whether or not the nib tip bumps against the inside of the cap.

BTW, I can confirm that these nibs do not install in Pelikan M200's.

Happy Writing.

David

I am using Osmiroid Copperplate and Rolatip nibs in my Koh-I-nor Rapidographs. These Copperplate nibs are one of the longest, if not the longest (?), of the Osmiroid nibs I believe and the Rolatips are longer than their italics. There seems to be plenty of room inside the cap. I don't doubt others have had problems but I can only impart my experience. 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:08 PM, dms525 said:

The modern Esterbrook "Estie" models have alternate sections that take vintage Renew Point nibs.

Maybe my experience was uniquely bad, but I was deeply disappointed in the modern Estie MV adaptor. Invariably, I could only get a couple of pages before the ink supply died and had to be primed. I tried numerous nibs and ink; nothing worked. I never ran into the issue using the stock JoWo nib. I imagine something about the dimensions of the converter/interface with the old nib units lead to a surface tension problem. I really wanted it to work. 

2 hours ago, es9 said:

Maybe my experience was uniquely bad, but I was deeply disappointed in the modern Estie MV adaptor. Invariably, I could only get a couple of pages before the ink supply died and had to be primed. I tried numerous nibs and ink; nothing worked. I never ran into the issue using the stock JoWo nib. I imagine something about the dimensions of the converter/interface with the old nib units lead to a surface tension problem. I really wanted it to work. 

I had a similar problem. Shawn Newton told me the solution is to use the adaptor with a Lamy Z27 converter. 

David

6 hours ago, dms525 said:

I had a similar problem. Shawn Newton told me the solution is to use the adaptor with a Lamy Z27 converter. 

David

Interesting. Have you tried that? I wonder what it is about that converter that makes a difference. 

3 hours ago, es9 said:

Interesting. Have you tried that? I wonder what it is about that converter that makes a difference. 

Yes. I am using them with Osmiroid nibs. They work quite well. Note that, for osmiroid nibs to work in the Estie sections, one must clip off the nipple at the end of the carrier.

David

On 1/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

I recently was trying to identify a pen with an Esterbrook Renew-Point nib and ended up with this list of compatible pens, though not all models of brands listed are necessarily compatible, and some of these I got from various references so have no personal knowledge of them:

Venus
Osmiroid 65
Osmiroid 75 (but not Quick Change)
Pelikan 200 series
Pelikan 400 series (but not the first year model)

Rapidograph

Sengbusch

Tuckersharpe

Chadwick

Burnham B48

If anyone knows of others, I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks,

—HC

I could no longer edit this post, I take it there’s a time limit. So here’s the latest update:

Venus
Osmiroid 65
Pelikan
Rapidograph
Sengbusch
Tuckersharpe
Chadwick
Burnham B48

Not all the models made by these brands are necessarily compatible. If anyone has other examples, please let us know.

I added the Pelikan back in after discovering I have an old Esterbrook squeeze filler that uses a Pelikan nib unit. (See photo.) And I believe I have a Pelikan with an Estie unit somewhere; I’ll post a photo if I can find it.

Also, re Esterbrook pens and removing the nipple from the Osmiroid units: this isn’t necessary in all cases. Some do need it removed, but some do not. From what I’ve seen, the ~60s cartridge fillers do not fit but some of the older models, like the J, will fit—at least some of the time. See photo.

Thanks for all the great info,

—HC

38A7C477-B685-498B-B9C8-F0FE06B5E834.jpeg

3F5EEB25-3C24-47FB-B598-57283EE1CA29.jpeg

875E8DAC-3BE3-4ED1-B415-2B1A1CB72689.jpeg

F6EE3F6E-077F-439A-9405-5DCCACEE0C3E.jpeg

Edited by Hagbard Celine
Mixed up my Rapidographs and Esterbrooks 🤦‍♂️

large.IMG_20230124_125650.jpg.ba9450584c4f683a58c472a1a85fcc29.jpg

I'm no Pelikan or Esterbrook expert.

Easterbrook pen can screw in a Pelikan nib but not the other way around. you cant push the Esterbrook nib enough in the pelican body to engage the threads. when using Pelikan nib on Esterbrook pens it sticks out as well. also simply putting it doesn't mean it will write correctly. and certainly not compatible with each other,

Pelikan 120 M&K can have some green Esterbrook nib unit (if you can call it that). with luck it will engage the threads like less than 1/4 a turn. although they have the same diameter threads are on a different place. if you shake it a bit chances are that the nib unit will fall off :(. 

Threads are also different in both, unsure if screwing on to the other can damage the sections. earlier pelikan nib units from 100, 100nn also screws in but sticks out way toomuch.

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I added the Pelikan back in after discovering I have an old Esterbrook squeeze filler that uses a Pelikan nib unit.

Ah, but as the poster above noted this is a Pelikan M&K nib.  Just to keep life interesting there are Pelikan nibs and then there are M&K Pelikan nibs!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Just to make it clear

• Pelikan 120 M&K nib doesn't fit the esterbrooks. (Second to last pen)
  • Pelikan m200 nib with the silver collar can screw in but I don't think it would write correctly.  (Second pen) In my case the nib is from a 481/150 
  • You kind of can put an esterbrook 9xxx nib (In my case 9128) in a pelikan 120 m&k body. I don't think it would write correctly. (last pen)

Sorry about not being very clear :(. in my view on all cases they are not compatible with each other.

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Osmiroid 65

All version of the Osmiroid 65 and 75 are Esterbrook Renew-Point compatible. There is no "Quick Change" version of the Osmiroid 75.

("Quick Change" was used by Platignum, not Osmiroid, for their calligraphy pens. There were two later Osmiroid models - they called the nib units used with those models "easy change". The nib units in these two later Osmiroid models include the section/grip, unlike Renew-Point type nibs. I don't believe these two later Osmiroid models are compatible with each other. I have both and can test if anyone is interested ...)

Moreover, as you can see in the first page of this thread, there were a few different Esterbrook copy pens - Misterlook, Easterbrook, etc. - that are Renew-Point compatible.

There were also Linden nibs, which fit Esterbrooks.

And...for the really adventurous, you can disassemble an Esterbrook nib, and put different nibs into the collar assembly.  I have a Laban nib in an Esterbrook collar.

17 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

And...for the really adventurous, you can disassemble an Esterbrook nib, and put different nibs into the collar assembly.  I have a Laban nib in an Esterbrook collar.

Let’s go for it. 

I'm going to stuff a Pink Waterman in a j. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

6 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

Let’s go for it. 

I'm going to stuff a Pink Waterman in a j. 

Well, that's just cruel.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:46 AM, PithyProlix said:

All version of the Osmiroid 65 and 75 are Esterbrook Renew-Point compatible. There is no "Quick Change" version of the Osmiroid 75.

("Quick Change" was used by Platignum, not Osmiroid, for their calligraphy pens. There were two later Osmiroid models - they called the nib units used with those models "easy change". The nib units in these two later Osmiroid models include the section/grip, unlike Renew-Point type nibs. I don't believe these two later Osmiroid models are compatible with each other. I have both and can test if anyone is interested ...)

Moreover, as you can see in the first page of this thread, there were a few different Esterbrook copy pens - Misterlook, Easterbrook, etc. - that are Renew-Point compatible.

Thanks for the clarifications, I will update. And the larger, non-compatible Osmiroid units are actually called “Easy-change.”

—HC

On 1/24/2023 at 5:14 AM, gweimer1 said:

Any reference for instructions? I’ve have several Esterbrook units in which I’d like to swap nibs.

—HC

Update 20230126:

Venus
Osmiroid 65
Osmiroid 75 (Osmiroid “Easy-change” nib units are not compatible)
Pelikan (limited compatibility, seeking clarification) 
Rapidograph
Sengbusch
Tuckersharpe
Chadwick
Burnham B48

Linden (nib units said to fit Esterbrook pens, vice versa also?)

Misterlook, Easterbrook, EEsterbrook, and other “copycat” brands

Not all the models made by these brands are necessarily compatible. If anyone has other examples, please let us know.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2023 at 8:11 AM, PithyProlix said:

I am using Osmiroid Copperplate and Rolatip nibs in my Koh-I-nor Rapidographs. These Copperplate nibs are one of the longest, if not the longest (?), of the Osmiroid nibs I believe and the Rolatips are longer than their italics. There seems to be plenty of room inside the cap. I don't doubt others have had problems but I can only impart my experience. 

UPDATE & CAUTION: Do NOT use nibs that extend 20 mm or more from its feed's threads in Koh-I-nor Rapidographs.

Regarding Renew-Point compatible Osmiroid nibs: I did not previously realize this but there are actually two different lengths of Renew-Point compatible Osmiroid nibs, even for the same type of nib - e.g. see the two Fine Straight Italic nibs below. One extends approximate 21 mm from the feed's threads, the other 18 mm. The longer one will not fit in the cap of a Koh-I-nor Rapidograph.

large.IMG_20230324_184216-02.jpeg.87e829ee4fc65e68a472608314280956.jpeg