Which pens other than Esterbrook J-series do Renew-Point nibs fit in, please?

PithyProlix

May I ask, please, which pen models besides Esterbrook J-series pens, from Esterbrook or other companies, fit Renew-Point nibs?

I have a few Osmiroid 65s, a bunch of Osmiroid nibs for those, and understand those are Renew-Point compatible, of course. I am also aware of the Osmiroid 75 and the Burnham B48. Richard Binder's page on Renew-Point also mentions "Tuckersharpe, and some Venus pens" but does not mention specific models. (I've seen a Tuckersharpe with a fixed, hooded nib, something like a Parker 51, so it is clear that not all Tuckersharpes can accept Renew-Point.) I have read conflicting information about compatibility with Esterbrook Dollar pens.

To be clear, I'm not asking about modified Renew-Points - just those will screw into a pen 'right out of the box'.

I apologize if this has already been asked - I am new to Esterbrook (I have just one - a J) and I was unsuccessful with a search to answer this question.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Hagbard Celine

• dms525

• gweimer1

The Renew Points fit in all Esterbrook pens except the Phaeton 300s and the English made Relief pens. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The modern Esterbrook "Estie" models have alternate sections that take vintage Renew Point nibs. FYI, they will take Osmiroid nibs too, but you have to cut off the nipple at the end. 

David

7 hours ago, dms525 said:

The modern Esterbrook "Estie" models have alternate sections that take vintage Renew Point nibs. FYI, they will take Osmiroid nibs too, but you have to cut off the nipple at the end. 

David

Thanks - I didn't look into them because they are a little pricey but I am glad that they made them compatible. 

The modern reincarnation of the Esterbrook isn’t on the farm. But should we choose to include them, the later in life Venus and Osmiroid pens will accept a Renew Point. 

As will the copies like EEsterbrook and Easterbrook.  

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

1 hour ago, FarmBoy said:

The modern reincarnation of the Esterbrook isn’t on the farm. But should we choose to include them, the later in life Venus and Osmiroid pens will accept a Renew Point. 

OK, I'm confused. The later Osmiroids - those following the 65/75 series pens - have a totally different contraption (there were two different kinds): it has the entire section for the exchangeable nib assembly, which screws directly on the barrel.

1 hour ago, FarmBoy said:

As will the copies like EEsterbrook and Easterbrook.  

Brian Anderson mentions some other copies - "Misterlook, Eester, Skater, and others I probably have forgotten" - here: 

• 1 month later...

I have one of the Misterlook sets...it's a clone of a purple pastel set.   There are also Ferber pens, which I believe were a sub-brand of Esterbrook.

Esterbrook nibs also fit into older, piston fill,  Koh-i-noor Rapidographs, the ones that look like this…

2F9D337F-BE36-4B68-B2DA-EB2A02715BE8.png.01fbe2831812e0361928bf7417ed026e.png

Thanks for the information on the Esterbrook clones and Esterbrook nibs fitting into older Koh-i-Noor Rapidographs.  I may have to break my fast on buying pens as I have a lot of Esterbrook replacement nibs with no where to go.

I believe the Rapid-O-graphs' caps are too short and bend the Estie nibs.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Perhaps it depends on the nib? Esterbrook 2284 and 2314-M nibs seem to work just fine in my vintage Rapidograph. But proceed with caution, of course.

1 hour ago, Grayspoole said:

Perhaps it depends on the nib? Esterbrook 2284 and 2314-M nibs seem to work just fine in my vintage Rapidograph. But proceed with caution, of course.

If it's not too much of an imposition, would you mind measuring how far those nibs stick out from the section in your Rapidograph, please? 

I just have one Esterbrook nib (9550, which extends 21 mm, measured from the feed on the back of the nib to the tip) but 40 Osmiroids in 16 different varieties and they vary in length from about 17mm to 21mm from the feed to the tip. 2284 (bottom left on the nib chart below) looks to be one of the longer Esterbrook nibs.

ink.thumb.png.ffaf7e8503a8c73f3dce96f6a34ed03d.png

No problem!

Here a photo, showing about 18 mm of 9314-M sticking out. The entire nib, measured from tip to end is 34 mm.  

As you can see, the nib screws fairly deeply into the Rapidograph. The threads inside the section start about 4 cm in. It doesn’t look wonderful, I admit, since the nib does not display to its fullest, but it seems to work.

D4D310A9-CB3C-4F94-BD05-103FA7BC2DEC.thumb.jpeg.6aab70b3b6dfca03f258e90fe33b8935.jpeg   

Oh, Osmiroid screw in nibs work too!

1 hour ago, Grayspoole said:

No problem!

Here a photo, showing about 18 mm of 9314-M sticking out. The entire nib, measured from tip to end is 34 mm.  

As you can see, the nib screws fairly deeply into the Rapidograph. The threads inside the section start about 4 cm in. It doesn’t look wonderful, I admit, since the nib does not display to its fullest, but it seems to work.

D4D310A9-CB3C-4F94-BD05-103FA7BC2DEC.thumb.jpeg.6aab70b3b6dfca03f258e90fe33b8935.jpeg   

Oh, Osmiroid screw in nibs work too!

Thank you very much.

From the photo it seems like the cap would have plenty of room for that nib. 

I think you meant that the threads start 4 mm (not cm) from the end of the section, is that correct? 

4 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I think you meant that the threads start 4 mm (not cm) from the end of the section, is that correct? 

Yes, that’s correct! 

• 1 year later...

I recently was trying to identify a pen with an Esterbrook Renew-Point nib and ended up with this list of compatible pens, though not all models of brands listed are necessarily compatible, and some of these I got from various references so have no personal knowledge of them:

Venus
Osmiroid 65
Osmiroid 75 (but not Quick Change)
Pelikan 200 series
Pelikan 400 series (but not the first year model)

Rapidograph

Sengbusch

Tuckersharpe

Chadwick

Burnham B48

If anyone knows of others, I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks,

—HC

Edited by Hagbard Celine
Added Burnham after response

1. Take the Pelikan 200 and 400 off the list, the Esterbrook nibs don't fit them. 
  2. If you put a Esterbrook nib on a Radiograph it will fit but screwing the cap on will bend the nib.
  3. Of course the Esterbrook nibs will fit the various vintage Esterbrook desk pens too.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

1 hour ago, OCArt said:
  1. Take the Pelikan 200 and 400 off the list, the Esterbrook nibs don't fit them. 
  2. If you put a Esterbrook nib on a Radiograph it will fit but screwing the cap on will bend the nib.
  3. Of course the Esterbrook nibs will fit the various vintage Esterbrook desk pens too.

Thanks for the info!

I actually got the Pelikan reference from another FPN thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/369094-request-for-pen-id-assistance/?do=findComment&comment=4581149

And I will take your word on the Rapidographs, I won’t try that! I have several No. 1s that I use with compatible nib units but when I checked just now they are all Osmiroid units. Those nibs are just fine, so they may be set lower in the assembly than the Esterbrooks, or they’re just shorter.