2021 149 Medium or Broad

Jawsaw

17 hours ago, NoType said:

agentdaffy007, yours is the second recommendation for Mark Bacas I’ve read in a week, and what a resounding acclamation it is.  I have considered the idea of sending a pen or four to a nibbist, and It seems that the universe might be directing me towards someone in particular.

What I like most about him is the patience and integrity.

He will make you fill a very long questionnaire so that way, the work will be carried out exactly like the way it should.

I have dealt with a few nibmeister and he's the best in all of them.

If I had to say something is that he could not open my pen to lube the piston. But hey, I got Montblanc Germany to do that for me. So all ends well.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawsaw

• NoType

• agentdaffy007

• bunnspecial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, agentdaffy007 said:

What I like most about him is the patience and integrity.

He will make you fill a very long questionnaire so that way, the work will be carried out exactly like the way it should.

I have dealt with a few nibmeister and he I the best in all of them.

If I had to say something is that he could not open my pen to lube the piston. But hey, I got Montblanc Germany to do that for me. So all ends well.

agentdaffy007, thank you for this detailed information, and as I am a stickler for detail (to use a phrase less rude than what passes now for common parlance), I think I will appreciate Mr Bacas’ methods.

Finally got the pen! Or *writing instrument*

overall I’m happy with it but there a few things that really bother me.

Firstly, the service guide is now the generic MB booklet, which is a shame as the signature 149 booklet was a classy touch. It also wasn’t stamped so I’ll need to visit a boutique

Secondly, the pen wasn’t packaged properly; it was loose in the display case and it had little bits of plastic all over it. I suspect it may have been returned or had a trip to the service centre prior to my ownership. Luckily upon close inspection there do not appear to be any signs of use. 

Lastly, the porous little ridge at the base of the nib where the grip section starts has an annoyingly uneven finish with little bits sticking out. It’s a little rough when I run my fingers over it. A £720 writing instrument should be better than this. It should be smooth. 

Now for the writing. I’m happy to report the nib writes wonderfully; the stubbiness and line variation I was concerned with are both great. It is a touch dry, which is noticeable when putting full Stops/commas. Thus far I’ve only written the attached writing sample. I’m using MB royal blue with pretty cheap 80gsm notebook paper. Any tips for this?

Overall I would say I’m satisfied with the purchase, provided the legendary 149 longevity doesn’t fail me. Although it is a true shame that MB’s quality and attention to detail is evidently not what it once was. 

Barring the dodgy grip section, it really is a work of art!

Jaws

ECC4F843-62B9-4659-A576-B8B41618BB19.jpeg

29C51FD3-B4EA-4743-899A-3AE3ECA35299.jpeg

BD40274F-AD53-4F2B-9D2F-4E5747B245D4.jpeg

7C7A993A-E716-4803-BAEC-C5C8E4EBE715.jpeg

110AEDD3-35D3-4FE0-8313-F48889B58A46.jpeg

C715DF31-4F97-470D-BD17-2A1221658A8A.jpeg

0C4C705F-87BD-445D-B1C4-779491F2CDD1.jpeg

Just now, Jawsaw said:

Firstly, the service guide is now the generic MB booklet, which is a shame as the signature 149 booklet was a classy touch. It also wasn’t stamped so I’ll need to visit a boutique

Secondly, the pen wasn’t packaged properly; it was loose in the display case and it had little bits of plastic all over it. I suspect it may have been returned or had a trip to the service centre prior to my ownership. Luckily upon close inspection there do not appear to be any signs of use. 

Lastly, the porous little ridge at the base of the nib where the grip section starts has an annoyingly uneven finish with little bits sticking out. It’s a little rough when I run my fingers over it. A £720 writing instrument should be better than this. It should be smooth. 

Now for the writing. I’m happy to report the nib writes wonderfully; the stubbiness and line variation I was concerned with are both great. It is a touch dry, which is noticeable when putting full Stops/commas. Thus far I’ve only written the attached writing sample. I’m using MB royal blue with pretty cheap 80gsm notebook paper. Any tips for this?

Overall I would say I’m satisfied with the purchase, provided the legendary 149 longevity doesn’t fail me. Although it is a true shame that MB’s quality and attention to detail is evidently not what it once was. 

Jaws

I forgot to add, it really is a massive nib! There’s a side by side pic with my 18k Cross Townsend nib. David and Goliath!

1 hour ago, Jawsaw said:

If I’m not mistaken, MB started to make the guarantee booklet thinner in 2019, to save printing costs perhaps. And, by purchasing from MB official website directly, your pen should come with an ID card displaying model no, serial no and date of purchase. Just show the card to MB in case of warranty, so the booklet needs not to be stamped.

1 hour ago, Jawsaw said:

All 149 has this roughened flare to prevent your fingers from slipping onto the nib. So just resign yourself to the feature.

Still, congrats on your acquisition and may the pen serve you well for aeons.

46 minutes ago, ljz said:

If I’m not mistaken, MB started to make the guarantee booklet thinner in 2019, to save printing costs perhaps. And, by purchasing from MB official website directly, your pen should come with an ID card displaying model no, serial no and date of purchase. Just show the card to MB in case of warranty, so the booklet needs not to be stamped.

All 149 has this roughened flare to prevent your fingers from slipping onto the nib. So just resign yourself to the feature.

Still, congrats on your acquisition and may the pen serve you well for aeons.

The pen did not come with a card despite ordering from the MB website. I called the boutique and they also said it should’ve come with a card. They said they’d fill the warranty out when I go in.

With regards to the rough flare, I understand it’s meant to have that. But the one on mine is visibly uneven as shown in this photo. 

Thanks,

jaws

Just now, Jawsaw said:

The pen did not come with a card despite ordering from the MB website. I called the boutique and they also said it should’ve come with a card. They said they’d fill the warranty out when I go in.

With regards to the rough flare, I understand it’s meant to have that. But the one on mine is visibly uneven as shown in this photo. 

Thanks,

jaws

51FC4A87-0420-4F94-AFB1-48F29A88448D.jpeg

If in the case of the pen, there is nothing indicating that What model is the pen cap? and sized like a cigar Will there be something to look at and answer what model it is? For example, 149 has a noticeable point, which part? I have a pen to ask for the serial number. Very old, bought from Switzerland, 1995, can't remember what model. Who can answer?146 or 149

3025.jpg

3026.jpg

3027.jpg

3028.jpg

3030.jpg

3031.jpg

3041.jpg

3045.jpg

3046.jpg

7 hours ago, Jawsaw said:

Their slip!!! Actually, invoice suffices to make a warranty claim.

7 hours ago, Jawsaw said:

51FC4A87-0420-4F94-AFB1-48F29A88448D.jpeg

It looks like a crack in the flare if my eyes serve me correctly.

1 hour ago, Montblanc19 said:

If in the case of the pen, there is nothing indicating that What model is the pen cap? and sized like a cigar Will there be something to look at and answer what model it is? For example, 149 has a noticeable point, which part? I have a pen to ask for the serial number. Very old, bought from Switzerland, 1995, can't remember what model. Who can answer?146 or 149

Best to start a separate thread, but that pen is a 146.

At various times the model has been marked in the cap band, however the easiest way at least for me to tell from a photo is to look at the shape of the cap finial and how much the star overhangs the top. 149s don't have the star visible from the side of the cap.

Also, if you ever handle both models in person, I can virtually guarantee you will never mistake a 146 for a 149, or a 149 for a 146.

2 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Best to start a separate thread, but that pen is a 146.

At various times the model has been marked in the cap band, however the easiest way at least for me to tell from a photo is to look at the shape of the cap finial and how much the star overhangs the top. 149s don't have the star visible from the side of the cap.

Also, if you ever handle both models in person, I can virtually guarantee you will never mistake a 146 for a 149, or a 149 for a 146.

Thank you very much for recommending In the sense that if used, there will be a very different weight and the aptitude of the hand when writing 149 will be very different. Personally, I am a seller. There has never been a single luxury pen in his body until now.

12 hours ago, Jawsaw said:

Jaws

Jawsaw, many congratulations on receiving the 149, a momentous occasion whether it is one’s first or fifteenth, but fondly remembered when it is the former.  Thank you for providing images of the packaging, as I for one have never ordered a pen directly from Montblanc’s website and find it interesting to note the differences from a Boutique or authorised dealer purchase.  

It is unfortunate that the pen itself was not packaged as well as the parcel’s luxurious accoutrements, surprising that the proper ID card was omitted, and dismaying that the “flare” is noticeably irregularly formed and perhaps even cracked, as ljz noted.  Thus it is a relief to learn that despite these hiccups in what one can only speculate might be lapses of quality control, the pen is in unused condition, performs satisfactorily, and most importantly, possesses a broad nib that meets your performance objectives and exceeds your aesthetic expectations.  Your excellent writing sample is gratifying to see, and reveals that your script is, far from a scrawl, quite gentle on the eyes.

Thank you for this comprehensive update, which warms the cockles of any fountain pen enthusiast’s heart, and may your legendary pen provide lasting satisfaction for many, many years.

That does look like a crack alright.

Edited to add...

All Montblanc's I've bought in the last year in the EU have a special card with a code that is separate from the serial number in a white envelope that is hand written using the pen.

21 hours ago, Uncial said:

That does look like a crack alright.

Edited to add...

All Montblanc's I've bought in the last year in the EU have a special card with a code that is separate from the serial number in a white envelope that is hand written using the pen.

Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely bring this up with I go to the boutique. The grip section issue is really bothering me too. 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:30 AM, NoType said:

Jawsaw, many congratulations on receiving the 149, a momentous occasion whether it is one’s first or fifteenth, but fondly remembered when it is the former.  Thank you for providing images of the packaging, as I for one have never ordered a pen directly from Montblanc’s website and find it interesting to note the differences from a Boutique or authorised dealer purchase.  

It is unfortunate that the pen itself was not packaged as well as the parcel’s luxurious accoutrements, surprising that the proper ID card was omitted, and dismaying that the “flare” is noticeably irregularly formed and perhaps even cracked, as ljz noted.  Thus it is a relief to learn that despite these hiccups in what one can only speculate might be lapses of quality control, the pen is in unused condition, performs satisfactorily, and most importantly, possesses a broad nib that meets your performance objectives and exceeds your aesthetic expectations.  Your excellent writing sample is gratifying to see, and reveals that your script is, far from a scrawl, quite gentle on the eyes.

Thank you for this comprehensive update, which warms the cockles of any fountain pen enthusiast’s heart, and may your legendary pen provide lasting satisfaction for many, many years.

Thank you very much! It really is a great writer. I just hope MB will fix the issue with the grip. Though I suspect it’ll be a long wait if it is sent off to Hamburg :(

fingers crossed the repair can be done with being sent away.