Pen Pit Stop : Pelikan M205 Demonstrator (2018 Special Edition)

namrehsnoom

Pen Pit Stop : Pelikan M205 Demonstrator (2018 Special Edition)

Welcome to the Pen Pit Stop. Here you will find reviews of pens that already have some mileage on them. More specifically, these reviews are of pens that are in my personal collection, and that have been in use for at least a year. I thought it would be fun to do it this way – no new & shiny pens here, but battered vehicles that have been put to work for at least a year. Let’s find out how they have withstood the ravages of time.

large.IMG_9668.jpeg.d5a024f499ca5f0e67831102ac06c7b1.jpeg

The fountain pen entering the pit stop today is the “Pelikan M205 Demonstrator”, a 2018 Special Edition that is itself a re-release of the 2005 version. Pelikan is one of the best-known European pen-makers, with a long history dating all the way back to 1832 when the company was founded in Hannover, Germany. The brand offers both semi-entry-level pens (like the M200 series) all the way up to their flagship M1000 model. All Pelikan pens adhere to the same classical style, and as such are immediately recognizable. 

I bought this pen in April 2018, for multiple reasons: it’s a Pelikan, and – at that time – I didn’t own a demonstrator pen. As a pen lover, I thought it cool to have at least one pen showing the internal piston mechanism, and the sloshing ink inside the body.

large.IMG_9670.jpeg.6638ecbc4136d371829ebf5dea4aad57.jpeg

large.IMG_9671.jpeg.503c1565a8350a8a7a76f300e8682746.jpeg

Pen Look & Feel
The M205 Demonstrator is your normal M200 pen, but with a completely transparent body. This let’s you clearly see the internal workings of the piston mechanism, the nib unit, … Any fountain pen enthusiast owes it to hirself to own at least one demonstrator pen. It’s great for showing others what a fine writing instrument the fountain pen is, and the sloshing ink inside the barrel is just fun to look at.

Pelikan delivered a fine pen with this Demonstrator. The pen body is made from a highly transparent resin, that has withstood the years without a problem. Trimmings and clip are done in silver, which – in my opinion – best complements the looks of this pen. With Pelikan, the trim colour is reflected in the last digit of the model number: so M200 pens have gold accents, M205 pens silver accents.

My pen came with a steel fine nib. But I quickly changed this with a 14ct gold M cursive italic that I got from fpnibs.com. This nib transforms the pen into one of my favourite writers – very smooth and with some interesting line variation.

large.IMG_9674.jpeg.0fc225968cd90897c359f7326520f515.jpeg

Like all Pelikans, the cap unscrews with about three quarters rotation, so it’s quickly ready for action. The M200 is a smaller pen, but posts easily and securely, giving it a substantial size that is very comfortable to write with, even if you have larger hands. I’ve got smaller hands myself, and typically use the pen unposted. For me, this M205 Demonstrator is just the right size and weight (i.e. featherweight). 

large.IMG_9678.jpeg.13188fcffbece0ba433c2b71e49e7146.jpeg

large.IMG_9679.jpeg.a6089a248e4d00ec5fb9372f214c67ec.jpeg

large.IMG_9680.jpeg.b3f1592634621e880b47316ba209d61b.jpeg

large.IMG_9681.jpeg.c2fa7f4b44af92e50e27a22fb50d6d7b.jpeg

The pictures above illustrate the size of this M205 Demonstrator in comparison with a standard Lamy Safari. The pen is definitely smaller than a Lamy, but still reasonable in size – not so small that’s uncomfortable (and if you find it too small uncapped, you can simply post it). 

Pen Characteristics

• Build Quality :  build quality is excellent. The pen looks really polished and refined. The pen also withstood the passing of time without any problem. After a full three years of use, it looks good as new, without visible scratches.
  • Weight & Dimensions : about 125 mm when capped – and as such a rather small pen. It’s also definitely a featherweight. If you prefer pens with some heft to them, the M200 model will not be your thing.  Posted – the pen becomes about 150 mm long, and fits even larger hands.
  • Filling System : this is a piston-filler, that holds quite some ink. The piston is made from black plastic, but works really well. Pelikan are known for their excellent piston mechanism. Being a demonstrator pen, the piston mechanism can be examined in all its details.
  • Nib & Performance : the M200 series pens have steel nibs. Mine came with an F-nib that wrote fluently straight out-of-the-box. The nib unit can be exchanged quite easily, and is compatible between the M120/M200/M400/M101N models. Being able to change nibs is a significant plus in my book! On this pen, I changed the nib to an M400 14ct gold M cursive italic, that adds some extra spice to my writing.
  • Price : 138 EUR, including taxes. Not too expensive, and you get a fine pen to show off to your friends. A demonstrator pen is always a good conversation starter.

large.IMG_9669.jpeg.2cef42a92e9c46b1cf24714dc5d57558.jpeg

Conclusion
My Pelikan M205 Demonstrator is a fun pen. My first demonstrator model, and I love it. It really succeeds in showing off the internal piston mechanism, and the ink rolling around in the barrel is a real eye-catcher. With the M cursive italic nib, this one has quickly become one of my favourite writers. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dip n Scratch

• essayfaire

• namrehsnoom

• lionelc

Thanks!  I love the idea of reviewing pens that have been used for a while, which gives a better understanding than first impressions sometimes do!  Some of my pens, after rolling off tables, now have little dents or cracked caps, so it's good to hear that the Pelikans may be more forgiving. 

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Demonstrators are not my cup of tea as the Chinese have done them to death. See this pen on a desk & you might think Wing-Sung at first glance.

You have to know pens and be close enough to recognise this fowl for what it truly is.

It is a matter of personal taste. I would love a M205 Olivine... But not with the OE modern nib. I'm an awkward guy.

8 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

See this pen on a desk & you might think Wing-Sung at first glance.

But if you write with it, you'll know better!  Though I like being able to see the inner workings of the pen, I don't like seeing the staining, etc. that can occur inside the demonstrators.  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

15 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

It is a matter of personal taste. I would love a M205 Olivine... But not with the OE modern nib.

I'm not sure what OE stands for there, or what stops you from buying an M205 Olivine special edition pen, and fitting a non “OE modern nib” acquired independently. PenGallery is offering the M205 Olivine pen-and-ink gift-boxed set on clearance right now, at a lower price than a standalone M205 Olivine pen (which it also has in stock, it seems); and it ships internationally, so “that model is completely sold out” is obviously not the reason.

Oh, and PenGallery is also offering the M205 Demonstrator on clearance.

Somehow reading this review led me to discover the information above, even though I'm not looking to buy another Pelikan M2xx at this point in time.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with PenGallery, other than being a (somewhat) happy repeat customer.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I don't like the 'feel' of the modern nib. Maybe the steel is different & has less spring plus the shape of the tipping has changed.

Hand on heart I have to admit I wouldn't buy a M205 Olivine, even though I like the look of it.

It is because the pen is too narrow to be comfortable in my hand for long periods.

I broke down and got an Olivine recently and, boy, I'm glad I did. It's gorgeous, much nicer than the pictures. But the M2xx/4xx are a perfect fit for my hands, too.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.