Source for ultraslim cartridges for Diplomat Butterfly?

DvdRiet

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a lot of Diplomat pens and parts in an online auction and this little white pen was among them. I have seen this pen called a Butterfly and I know there were special 'Butterfly' ink cartridges (in the 70s/80s?) sold by Diplomat for their ultraslim pens. (I even saw some cheap on eBay a while ago, should have bought them but didn't know what they were! 🤦‍♀️)

Does anyone know a source for the Butterly cartridges or have suggestions for other ultraslim cartridges that might fit? A converter would be even better, but I'm not holding my breath for that. 

You can see in the photos how much slimmer this white pen is than the Diplomat Excellence A2 on the left and even a thin Diplomat Traveller from the 90s on the right. The entire section is even smaller than an international standard cartridge, so I am looking for something very, very slim!

large.IMG_2248.JPG.597ac3db1bf95bcd25129f76ed776c6d.JPGlarge.IMG_2249.JPG.54c684f0ff1a99bfdaf41dbbcd86a488.JPGlarge.IMG_2250.JPG.a412dc9b163aec7d2c590e98da465040.JPG

Appreciate any help!!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DvdRiet

• Sailor Kenshin

• Fermata

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

I own one!  I know of no source for extra carts, unfortunately.  If you were in the CONUS I could send you an extra.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

22 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

If you were in the CONUS I could send you an extra.

Yeah, thanks, I do live a little further out of town unfortunately 😉 I saw someone on another forum talking about the possibility of the Sailor Chalana cartridges and converters fitting. You wouldn't happen to know if they do or do not work, would you? The OP there never came back to say whether it worked. I guess the Chalana has also been discontinued and Sailor has changed to a mini converter that will probably be too wide for these pens. But I have seen there are some webshops that still seem to have Chalana cartridges and converters in stock. If I knew they worked, I would try to buy a few that way so I would have small stash until something else came along.

I have managed to find converter or cartridge solutions for every old Diplomat I have acquired so far, so I'm not ready to call it quits and keep this little pen for show only just yet! 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

59 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Yeah, thanks, I do live a little further out of town unfortunately 😉 I saw someone on another forum talking about the possibility of the Sailor Chalana cartridges and converters fitting. You wouldn't happen to know if they do or do not work, would you? The OP there never came back to say whether it worked. I guess the Chalana has also been discontinued and Sailor has changed to a mini converter that will probably be too wide for these pens. But I have seen there are some webshops that still seem to have Chalana cartridges and converters in stock. If I knew they worked, I would try to buy a few that way so I would have small stash until something else came along.

I have managed to find converter or cartridge solutions for every old Diplomat I have acquired so far, so I'm not ready to call it quits and keep this little pen for show only just yet! 

I thought of the Chalana, too, but I don't have one, so I can't compare.  This is sad, because the Butterflies are such unique little pens.  And it is the slimmest pen I know of.

Maybe someone who has a Chalana or both will weigh in?

I think Sailor still sells the Chalana cartridges and converter (from what I can see at my Sailor-authorised retailer).

I guess I could go ahead and get a Chalana converter and some cartridges on the off chance they do fit. I'm sure I could always sell them again on eBay if they don't, haha!

10 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

This is sad, because the Butterflies are such unique little pens.

I agree, it is such a pretty little pen! And so small (especially by today's standards) that it feels like a toy pen. A couple of months ago, someone on German eBay was selling something like 10 boxes of them and there was only one cartridge missing from one of the boxes. I didn't know it was anything special - and you can't really tell the size of anything from just the photos - and decided I didn't need to go buying cartridges of Diplomat ink, strictly pens and converters, but I did make a mental note of them because the name Butterfly on the box intrigued me. I think the seller, a creative charity shop or something, was only asking 4 euros for them - I could kick myself now for not just getting them even though I had no idea at the time what the Butterfly thing meant!!

4 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Oh, yes!!!! Thank you! I somehow missed this when I was reading the replies just now! I guess I will be ordering myself some Chalana cartridges and converters post haste! (Better get more than one just in case I find more 70s super slim pens 😉)

Chalana supplies ordered from Pen Chalet! Thank you so much for the tip @I-am-not-really-here! Just too bad the FP Day discount didn't apply to Sailor products haha

The thinnest cartridges that I have used are Waterman Minis which fit the Sheaffer slim Targa and may fit pens that need superslim cartridges

1 hour ago, DvdRiet said:

Chalana supplies ordered from Pen Chalet!

Except, OUCH! I wish it had warned me in advance how much more it would be in shipping and fees! 😳 Good thing I ordered extra - don't want to have to do that again!

1 hour ago, Fermata said:

The thinnest cartridges that I have used are Waterman Minis which fit the Sheaffer slim Targa and may fit pens that need superslim cartridges

I tried searching for these but all that came up was the short international cartridges. What do these look like?

28 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Except, OUCH! I wish it had warned me in advance how much more it would be in shipping and fees! 😳 Good thing I ordered extra - don't want to have to do that again!

I tried searching for these but all that came up was the short international cartridges. What do these look like?

https://www.penshop.co.uk/waterman/fountain-pen-refills/waterman-mini-black-cartridges

Here is an ad for The Penshop, I would try Akkermans and see if they can supply

Standard international fitting but with a smaller diameter that the standard international cartridge.

4 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

I guess I could go ahead and get a Chalana converter and some cartridges on the off chance they do fit. I'm sure I could always sell them again on eBay if they don't, haha!

I agree, it is such a pretty little pen! And so small (especially by today's standards) that it feels like a toy pen. A couple of months ago, someone on German eBay was selling something like 10 boxes of them and there was only one cartridge missing from one of the boxes. I didn't know it was anything special - and you can't really tell the size of anything from just the photos - and decided I didn't need to go buying cartridges of Diplomat ink, strictly pens and converters, but I did make a mental note of them because the name Butterfly on the box intrigued me. I think the seller, a creative charity shop or something, was only asking 4 euros for them - I could kick myself now for not just getting them even though I had no idea at the time what the Butterfly thing meant!!

Lucky find!  Did this Butterfly not come with any cartridges?  They can be refilled.

3 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Lucky find!  Did this Butterfly not come with any cartridges?  They can be refilled.

Nope, unfortunately not... So I don't even have any idea what they look like.

But I do now own a spare nib section for every single model produced in the 80s (also in the lot) 😂

29 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Nope, unfortunately not... So I don't even have any idea what they look like.

Let me see if I can post a picture of the cart later.  It is, as you might imagine, very skinny.  😉

Here.  Wish I could send you a couple.  I have about ten.  

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

And this, my friends, is ONE VERY SMALL CONVERTER!

large.IMG_2283.JPG.f6ab5f9042d109e6df206e7b862626fb.JPG

I also ordered cartridges but it seems they have sent me the regular short Sailor cartridges instead of the Chalana :sad: 

• 1 year later...

Hi there!  I came across a bag of about 15 Butterfly cartidge boxes (5 in each) at a friends house. I'd be happy to send you a few if you'd like. I don't have a pen that fits them yet so I haven't been able to test them. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2023 at 4:42 AM, Abberatia said:

Hi there!  I came across a bag of about 15 Butterfly cartidge boxes (5 in each) at a friends house. I'd be happy to send you a few if you'd like. I don't have a pen that fits them yet so I haven't been able to test them. 

Hi! So sorry for my terribly late reply! I haven't been online here that much recently. And thank you for this. I can report that the Sailor cartridges for the Chalana fit perfectly (in fact, I suspect the entire pen is simply a rebranded Chalana). However... as I'm collecting Diplomats, I am interested in having a box of the original cartridges just to add to the 'historical value' of things. Depending on where you are located, I might like to take one of the boxes off your friend's hands. I'll DM you.