Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Ohio Pen Show


Parker51
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Ohio Pen Show is coming up next week. Is anyone else planning on attending?

 

It will be the last Pen Show for 2021 and should be a good one and it is at a new venue in Columbus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sharonspens

    6

  • Parker51

    2

  • inkstainedruth

    3

  • g33klibrarian

    2

I'll be there for sure!  I'll have two tables - loaded with more than 60 Nakayas, assorted other Japanese Urushi pens, Pelikan 800's including 2103 Tortoise and Ocean Swirls, Montblancs, and a slew of older Visconti celluloids.  Hope everyone will stop by!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, wish I could be there!

 

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

                                                 My Favorite Pen Restorer                                 My Favorite Brick and Mortar Store

                                                                                                                                Vanness Pens - Now selling Online!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope to be there Friday!

 

two questions...

  1. Would it be worth the extra $20 to get in four extra hours Friday morning? Possible targets include vintage Sheaffers, a Franklin-Christoph if they're indeed there, ink, paper, and repair parts
  2. Are pen shows good places to trade user-grade pens with fresh user-grade pens to play with? 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just sent my check in for a weekend pass a couple of days ago (meant to do it sooner, but had assumed that I could maybe sign up online, the way I did for the Chicago Show).  In the past I've mostly paid at the door (the first year I went, when I could only be there on Friday, I talked them into letting me in a bit early because I could give them the exact amount).  Ironically, I made my hotel reservations a few days before that....  

Also ironically, the check got mailed Monday, and then Tuesday I got a flyer sent to me in the mail.  

I think OPS is probably my favorite show -- big enough to have a variety of vendors and repair people, but small enough to not be overwhelming (my first show was DCSS, back at their old site in Tyson's Corners, and I almost didn't know where to look because it was SOOO ginormous).  Plus, it's the closest thing I have to a "local show" -- because I had a prior commitment the same weekend as the first year I went, I basically daytripped it (roughly 3-1/2 hours each way between just NW of Pittsburgh and the greater Columbus area, including stops).

Now the next big decision is to what pens to bring that are in the most need of rehab/repairs....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hoping to be there on Saturday, even though most of my usual traveling companions aren't able to go. I hope nothing happens to keep me from going anyway. 

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a great time at the show yesterday. Took an old friend who somehow had never been to a show. Went with a budget in mind, and nothing consciously on the list except some ink (Iroshizuku Momiji and Central Ohio Pen Club's Park of Roses). Subconsciously hoped for (and bought) a Krusac black-and-white ebony pen. All told, I only went over my personal budget by about $45, as the extra $100 was for my husband's Christmas present. And to top it off I got to see Rick's Nakayas (didn't buy one, alas), and my own buds from the Hoosier Pen Club who were all helping out at Lemur Ink. 

 

So glad to see a pen show again. 

 

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sharonspens said:

Had a great time at the show yesterday. Took an old friend who somehow had never been to a show. Went with a budget in mind, and nothing consciously on the list except some ink (Iroshizuku Momiji and Central Ohio Pen Club's Park of Roses). Subconsciously hoped for (and bought) a Krusac black-and-white ebony pen. All told, I only went over my personal budget by about $45, as the extra $100 was for my husband's Christmas present. And to top it off I got to see Rick's Nakayas (didn't buy one, alas), and my own buds from the Hoosier Pen Club who were all helping out at Lemur Ink. 

 

So glad to see a pen show again. 

 

Sharon in Indiana

Thanks for coming and for buying the Central Ohio Pen Club Ink🖌😊.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parker51 said:

Thanks for coming and for buying the Central Ohio Pen Club Ink🖌😊.

Now that I have it and the Pumpkin, I have to decide what pens to use them in. I suspect my Pilot 912s are about to be pressed into service (or Edisons, since this is an Ohio enterprise!).

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, sharonspens said:

Had a great time at the show yesterday. Took an old friend who somehow had never been to a show. Went with a budget in mind, and nothing consciously on the list except some ink (Iroshizuku Momiji and Central Ohio Pen Club's Park of Roses). Subconsciously hoped for (and bought) a Krusac black-and-white ebony pen. All told, I only went over my personal budget by about $45, as the extra $100 was for my husband's Christmas present. And to top it off I got to see Rick's Nakayas (didn't buy one, alas), and my own buds from the Hoosier Pen Club who were all helping out at Lemur Ink. 

 

So glad to see a pen show again. 

 

Sharon in Indiana

I'll admit that I was tempted to buy a backup bottle of Park of Roses.

I ended up not buying ANY ink over the weekend (I can just envision what will happen Wednesday night at the SCN meeting: people will be checking my pulse and wanting to take my temperature to see if I'm feeling okay... B)).  OTOH, I did buy 5 pens, another 12 pen Giriolgio case (and one of the leather desk pads), and one of the fun little polymer clay pen rests that River City Pens had for sale.  And I got the nib fixed on the Slimfold and some nib work done on a 51 Vac I bought at an estate sale last spring, plus re-aligning the hood so it wasn't at a 45° angle to the nib!  

And of course I got to say hi to folks I knew and meet some people I didn't know, because half the fun of shows is the schmoozing!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2021 at 5:31 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I'll admit that I was tempted to buy a backup bottle of Park of Roses.

I ended up not buying ANY ink over the weekend (I can just envision what will happen Wednesday night at the SCN meeting: people will be checking my pulse and wanting to take my temperature to see if I'm feeling okay... B)).  OTOH, I did buy 5 pens, another 12 pen Giriolgio case (and one of the leather desk pads), and one of the fun little polymer clay pen rests that River City Pens had for sale.  And I got the nib fixed on the Slimfold and some nib work done on a 51 Vac I bought at an estate sale last spring, plus re-aligning the hood so it wasn't at a 45° angle to the nib!  

And of course I got to say hi to folks I knew and meet some people I didn't know, because half the fun of shows is the schmoozing!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, you bought NO ink? Is that even possible? COPC was down to their last 7 bottles of Park of Roses; I am glad I got one.

 

I thought one of my Narwhals was going to need adjustment; it balked at the first two inks I tried in it, so I have been waiting for OPS and a nibmeister. However, I finally found an ink it liked, so the adjustment seemed unneccessary. 

 

I made a last minute decision to try to have Pendleton Pens work on one of my Indian-made pens; unfortunately, he couldn't do it because the nib had no tipping to speak of. I didn't have anything else with me that he could have touched, and by the time I bought the Krusac it was the end of the day. Maybe next year. 

 

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was so psyched when I saw Taccia had a booth at the show, but then was heartbroken (so-to-speak) when they had a whole stack of ink and none of them were Ukiyo-e Hokusai-Sabimidori.

 

Still getting to write with one of their gorgeous urushi fountain pens was worth the stop. Just stunning work and its broad Sailor nib was a luscious companion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, sharonspens said:

Ruth, you bought NO ink? Is that even possible? COPC was down to their last 7 bottles of Park of Roses; I am glad I got one.

 

I thought one of my Narwhals was going to need adjustment; it balked at the first two inks I tried in it, so I have been waiting for OPS and a nibmeister. However, I finally found an ink it liked, so the adjustment seemed unneccessary. 

 

I made a last minute decision to try to have Pendleton Pens work on one of my Indian-made pens; unfortunately, he couldn't do it because the nib had no tipping to speak of. I didn't have anything else with me that he could have touched, and by the time I bought the Krusac it was the end of the day. Maybe next year. 

 

Sharon in Indiana

I did think about getting a backup bottle of Park of Roses -- it's such a lovely color.

Most of my budget for the show was actually geared towards repairs, but there wasn't really anyone there for that.  

I did sort of make up for not buying any ink at the show today, though:  orders to Goulet Pens (including a 100 ml bottle of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir) and Anderson Pens (backup bottles of Iroshizuku Tsuyu-kusa and and Edelstein Ruby Red, and a sample of Platinum Carbon Black).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, g33klibrarian said:

I was so psyched when I saw Taccia had a booth at the show, but then was heartbroken (so-to-speak) when they had a whole stack of ink and none of them were Ukiyo-e Hokusai-Sabimidori.

 

Still getting to write with one of their gorgeous urushi fountain pens was worth the stop. Just stunning work and its broad Sailor nib was a luscious companion.

Oh, my goodness - yes, those pens were beautiful. I had to walk quickly away with my hand on my wallet. 

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We did really well this year, and we'll be back next year, hopefully at the same location.  We had the table right across from the coffee, and next to the registration table.

 

I snagged this at the auction on Saturday.  My resource for these indicates that these were a one-time run of about 2,000 pieces, so where it was thought that there were only 100 ever made is way off.

 

Conway_Stewart_22.thumb.JPG.5d86004c0009d7ecfb4dcb33c0daea9f.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 5:02 PM, gweimer1 said:

We did really well this year, and we'll be back next year, hopefully at the same location.  We had the table right across from the coffee, and next to the registration table.

 

I snagged this at the auction on Saturday.  My resource for these indicates that these were a one-time run of about 2,000 pieces, so where it was thought that there were only 100 ever made is way off.

 

Conway_Stewart_22.thumb.JPG.5d86004c0009d7ecfb4dcb33c0daea9f.JPG

That is gorgeous!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...