Anyone own a writing slope?

kelly41

2 hours ago, Parker51 said:

Congratulations 🖌😊

Thank you as I say its not the most fancy design but something about it just seemed to draw me to it so I decided to make it mine

It should be here Thursday so not long to wait now

IMG_20211115_161930.jpg

IMG_20211115_162004.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kelly41

• ParramattaPaul

• my63

• inkstainedruth

On 11/15/2021 at 6:22 PM, my63 said:

Very nice, you can search for the secret compartments once you have it. :) The pin on the right holds the drawer closed but is also often used to open the hidden compartment under the pen tray.

It arrived today and I have located 2 draws that I don't think have ever seen the light of day hidden by a secret compartment :)

1 hour ago, kelly41 said:

It arrived today and I have located 2 draws that I don't think have ever seen the light of day hidden by a secret compartment :)

What fun!

Now I REALLY want to go find a writing slope with secret compartments!!☺️

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

I, too, own a writing slope.
It is not as 'fancy' as the others that have been shown in this thread already, but it was given to me by a friend, so as far as I am concerned I am still a Lucky Boy.

It does not get as much use as it deserves, because most of my interpersonal communication these days is conducted through modern electronic Devilry, but it will be seeing a deal of action as I write out this year's Christmas cards.
Of course, as soon as I typed the sentence above I have realised that I could be using it when journaling - so 'hurrah!' for inspiration :thumbup:

Anyway, on to a couple of badly-taken photographs:

Here is what its outside looks like:

large.649444491_WritingSlope(closed).jpg.7672223a3c7ee06dfcb764eecc785258.jpg

And here it is when opened for use:

large.1672015350_WritingSlope(open).jpg.36a6a2c1997f860b96679118e329b913.jpg

I have also just realised that I could be using it for practising my handwriting/attempting to improve the said scrawl - I suspect that writing on the slope will help to make 'arm writing' seem more natural, and thus make it easier for me to dislodge the bad habit of finger/wrist writing in which I have lazily persisted for the last several decades :doh:

(At least I hope that it will ;) )

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Nice! 

I digress slightly in reference to an object in both photos; I have a dish identical to the one you have between the bud vase and the candle.  My late wife made it decades ago whilst taking a crafts course.

1 hour ago, ParramattaPaul said:

I digress slightly in reference to an object in both photos; I have a dish identical to the one you have between the bud vase and the candle.  My late wife made it decades ago whilst taking a crafts course.

Good for her! :thumbup:
I, sadly, am too hamfisted, impatient, and just-downright-cussèd to have any talent or ability in any artistic/craft activity 😞

The blue dish in my pics is a small Wedgwood one. I grew up fairly near the factory, and in a house that had several bits of their run-of-the-mill blue earthenware and a couple of the green-&-white ones too. The white decorations on it are an applied motif in the style of a 'classical' (Græco-Roman)-themed frieze.
Because it was made 'just down the road' (and because we owned some of it), I never thought of it as being anything 'special'. So I was quite surprised to learn in my teenaged years that some of the Wedgwood product lines are regarded as highly-collectible in various places around the world.
Sadly, like the high-quality manufacturers of artisanal glass at Stourbridge, the Wedgwood factory has seen demand for its products fall drastically. The factory has been sold a couple of times and is now far, far smaller than it was when I was a kid.
A few years ago I was in Stoke on Trent and had a couple of hours to kill, so went for a look around the Potteries Museum. The quality of the work on the stuff that they have in there is (unsurprisingly) incredible.
I am saddened by the realisation that the various fine skills involved in producing such decorated ware are now being lost (here at least). Sic transit gloria mundi.

The small white dish that is also partially visible is an ashtray that was produced to commemorate Francis Chichester's solo circumnavigation of the globe in 1966-7 on his yacht Gypsy Moth IV.
It is now held together with glue. It got broken when I was a very young child (I think probably by me, but I cannot now remember and the culprit might have been my younger brother).

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

• 3 weeks later...

The first one, and it tuned out the best shaped one, went for to me a very high price. Later I found out it was not as terribly expensive as I thought.

I've seen ones needing repair...small repair by a restorer costs about the cost of getting one............they too were more expensive than they should have been considering the shape.

Of the others only one was sort of having all the parts. And it needed more repair and a new pad.

Talking E3-400.

Someday, one in good shape, with all the parts will show up.....and this time I know better; unlike the first one I desired.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

My slope came back from having a nice polish and it's lock center pin mending. I decided to leave it with its character so didn't have any other restoration work done received_419133729948109.jpeg.5cf3410923b05ae40f09e93a3a364142.jpegreceived_652816415904657.jpeg.b8e6ef76bc6873c3c5578699bcfaa57c.jpegreceived_459227332367174.jpeg.60483e4fcad8f32ea98fa344038ac5b3.jpeg

All in all besides the polishing, it is in great shape.:thumbup:

The inside is better than many I've seen.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.