Montblanc Heritage 1912

Wael El-Dasher

Been a while since I've posted. In truth, a few years ago I lost all interest in fountain pens and sold off my collection, save for a 149 that I bought with my first pay check after graduating from undergrad.

From all the pens I sold, I only have 1 regret; selling the Marcel Proust which had the most wonderful F nib. I sketched a lot with that pen and it balanced so well in my hand, wasn't too heavy, easily clipped to my shirt/polo with no issue, the threaded back allowed for secure posting of the cap (great when you're traveling and sitting at cafe's sketching the landscape). They've become hard to find now and even more expensive when you do find one, but I recall I handling a MB Heritage 1912 Resin when they first came out and I remember that the size was compact enough and it had some flex to the nib, which makes it ideal for my daily use. I draw sketches all the time for work so after a lot of searching I finally found a new one at Pen Boutique in Maryland. I ordered it today with a B nib and hope it works out. 

I like the retractable nib because it will keep the pen short, so I can clip it easily in my shirt pocket or even shirts with no pocket, it can't post like the Proust but all pens can't be perfect. Perhaps this pen will scratch that itch I have for the Proust I miss, but as I recall, this hobby rarely ends with the acquisition of one pen :) 

Just wanted to share and say I'm excited to be back on FPN.

Cheers

Wael 

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wael El-Dasher

• meiers

• agentdaffy007

• NoType

6 minutes ago, meiers said:

Welcome back.

The Heritage 1912 is my favourite.

I recall handling the titanium FP version too when it first came out. The authorized MB Agent was right next to my home at the time. It was large and absolutely exquisitely made, but I damn near fell over when I heard the price. I believe it's going for $12k-$14k these days...just a tad rich for my taste :). The resin version will do very nicely thank you. How's the flex on your 1912?

Wow! Thanks Matt. That was absolutely great to see and, darn it, you’re making me catch the FP bug again 🤣. Can’t wait for FedEx to show up at the office soon. Really appreciate this wonderful response.

cheers

Wael

Wael El-Dasher, meiers seems inordinately adept at transmitting that fountain pen infection, so much so that after viewing the above twinned-writing-sample post with the two 1912’s, I find myself once again rueing having missed the opportunity to procure an Heritage 1912 in black precious resin the other day, and I already am the fortunate possessor of one.  This is a disturbing symptom.

Unfortunately my 1912 won’t arrive before Thursday. I did get some great news this morning, Bryant was able to find me a MB Proust. Well it’s not great news for my bank account but I’m so excited to be reunited with a Proust again. I may have to send it off to MB for a nib swap if needed, which will add couple more months of anxiety. 

Here are some of my travel sketches I did with my previous Proust F nib.

Cheers

Wael

9E31446A-361E-4E45-BA3C-56FA9A3D7AE7.jpeg

B372B7A3-0B8A-4FD1-8F23-4A0425FB41D1.jpeg

25DBCC02-7B84-426F-BDAF-421061706F9B.jpeg

2E3C1871-1DB5-492F-9A9E-4765AE2A3881.jpeg

27 minutes ago, meiers said:

The Proust is a lovely pen. Can you post the cap on it?

Meier, yes. It has a threaded section just under the ink turn knob so you can thread the cap to the back of the pen. I believe the only other MB that can do that was the Boheme. It throws the balance towards the back a bit but it’s very handy in situations when you can’t put the pen cap somewhere safe, such as sitting on a park bench and drawing or writing. Also because you thread the cap, there’s no chance of dropping the cap accidentally. 

2EE15BB9-C5F5-4C55-9C50-8157322BCABF.jpeg

The Proust is lovely.

The 1912 is my absolute favourite FP. I currently am infactuated with my 149 calligraphy, but I will return to my 1912 always. Such a small tight design, and fabulous nib with a delightful spring to it.

I ground my fine to a crisp italic.

17 hours ago, Wael El-Dasher said:

Unfortunately my 1912 won’t arrive before Thursday. I did get some great news this morning, Bryant was able to find me a MB Proust. Well it’s not great news for my bank account but I’m so excited to be reunited with a Proust again. I may have to send it off to MB for a nib swap if needed, which will add couple more months of anxiety. 

Here are some of my travel sketches I did with my previous Proust F nib.

Cheers

Wael

9E31446A-361E-4E45-BA3C-56FA9A3D7AE7.jpeg

B372B7A3-0B8A-4FD1-8F23-4A0425FB41D1.jpeg

25DBCC02-7B84-426F-BDAF-421061706F9B.jpeg

2E3C1871-1DB5-492F-9A9E-4765AE2A3881.jpeg

Wael El-Dasher, congratulations on finding another Proust!  Also, thank you for this wonderful peek inside your travel sketchbook, featuring really rather lovely loose yet detailed renderings from 15 years in the past with your late lamented Proust.  Skill, passion, and diligence are evident in this glimpse.  What a treat is this sample of your talent, for the weary eye midweek!

20 hours ago, meiers said:

21AD933C-D9BB-443E-B9B6-64B91E04CA9F.jpeg

meiers, thank you for taking the time in writing this personal handwritten note, replete with a comparison-contrast of the OM nibs of both your Heritage 1912 and Meisterstück 149, even through the use of different inks (which you were kind enough to identify for us).  This is really an exemplar of a writing sample!

Sadly, I suffer from a kind of phobia with cameras, even those of the smartphone persuasion, and thus my attempts to meet your very reasonable request for a few pen images will be delayed as I work through my admittedly weird insecurities.  Thank you for your patience.

20 hours ago, meiers said:

5825C237-DD7B-446F-8E61-74B891302750.jpeg

CB68C60C-52C9-4087-93C1-85709F8AFE8A.jpeg

meiers, I may have a touch of scopophobia (that extends to being behind the camera), but that does not obviate my ability to appreciate a good image, and these photos are great images showing the pens and nibs utilised to create your excellent writing sample.

11 hours ago, NoType said:

Wael El-Dasher, congratulations on finding another Proust!  Also, thank you for this wonderful peek inside your travel sketchbook, featuring really rather lovely loose yet detailed renderings from 15 years in the past with your late lamented Proust.  Skill, passion, and diligence are evident in this glimpse.  What a treat is this sample of your talent, for the weary eye midweek!

Thank you NoType. I appreciate the kind words. It’s always been a battle finding time, even during a vacation, for myself to sit in peace and sketch. Seems like everyone wants to keep moving, rarely allowing time to simply sit still and allow yourself to soak in and absorb that moment. I believe the last true vacation I’ve had was 2012. Work and family obligations have precluded me from having any personal time since then, hence the decision to get back to fountain pens will bring back some of that joy at work. Well, in theory at least. If that theory fails, then I’ll be the proud owner of a few wonderful pens. Seems like a win/win. 

Cheers

Wael

@Wael El-Dasher Welcome back, and thank you for sharing your wonderful sketches and notes from your trip to this beautiful region. By the way, I took a private tour at the Chillon Castle this summer when it re-opened after long closure due to the pandemic. The tour guides were very enthusiastic about being able to giving tours again! Enjoy your reunion with your beloved pens!

@Wael El-Dasher, welcome back to FPN. I remember you from years ago. Always admire your pen collection. Glad you found the Proust.

I remember you putting a 1960's nib on your Hemingway. I sold my MB 149 1959 because the new MB 149 Calligraphy is just that good and flexes more than the old vintage nibs.

I just came back to FPN about a year ago. Got myself many pens in the last 12 months. 6 to be exact. Came back in full force!

1) MB 149 Calligraphy

2) MB 149P OBBB

3) MB JP Morgan 4810

4) Pelikan M205 clear

5) MB Legrand Barley Sterling Silver BP

6) Kaweco BP Special LE Blue

You are right about taking the time to appreciate life. I do that often in between appointments with a cigar in hand. Life's short, live without regrets.

7 hours ago, agentdaffy007 said:

@Wael El-Dasher, welcome back to FPN. I remember you from years ago. Always admire your pen collection. Glad you found the Proust.

I remember you putting a 1960's nib on your Hemingway. I sold my MB 149 1959 because the new MB 149 Calligraphy is just that good and flexes more than the old vintage nibs.

I just came back to FPN about a year ago. Got myself many pens in the last 12 months. 6 to be exact. Came back in full force!

1) MB 149 Calligraphy

2) MB 149P OBBB

3) MB JP Morgan 4810

4) Pelikan M205 clear

5) MB Legrand Barley Sterling Silver BP

6) Kaweco BP Special LE Blue

You are right about taking the time to appreciate life. I do that often in between appointments with a cigar in hand. Life's short, live without regrets.

Agentdaffy007,

Glad to see you're back too! I did indeed have a late 50's 149 nib on my Hemingway. It was a great writer. I sold it to a friend and he's been enjoying it since. Your new pen collection is great! I always loved the JP Morgan, the weight made it very special and the pin striped barrel along with the carbon/silver weave of the cap. Enjoy it!

I don't plan on another big collection (famous last words). I plan on having just these two pens, in addition to my existing 149. I'll use them and enjoy them...unless something really special comes along.

Having said that, I actually did pick up a multi-colored Visconti Van Gogh that has all shades of blue with warm amber, reds and orange. While walking my dogs, one late afternoon, I looked up at the sky and the sunsetting sky's colors reminded me of that Visconti pen that I've seen years earlier but never paid much attention to. So I made some calls and found one that looked like that sunsetting sky.  

I had two 139's, a long window and short window, and honestly don't miss them. Both were in exceptional condition too with great nibs. As much as I loved the Lorenzo, a pen I lusted after for a long time, I also don't miss it. It had a really special nib with long tins which made it fun to use, but it always felt very delicate and spent many months in Hamburg, flying back and forth until it finally worked perfectly, thanks to Max physically walking into MB service and telling them exactly what needs to be done. I was tempted to pick up  some of the previous pens in my collection, but so far I've resisted. 

I'm just glad I got to own most of the pens that I always wanted and happy knowing they're being loved and used by others who are enjoying them. 

Now if only FedEx would have delivered my 1912 to the office today as scheduled instead of attempting delivery at 7:00pm, I would have been happier. Sorry for the long rambling response, I didn't realize how much I've missed FPN and chatting with everyone here. 

cheers

Wael