Longterm (10 years) review of the Graf von Faber Castell Classic

cctct

IMG_7371.thumb.jpg.9956303ef0df31a1ddad6ae4322f4d87.jpg

I had an FPN account way back in high school when I first purchased this pen but I've completely forgotten the login details so I made a new account.

This pen is already difficult to photograph and my photography skills have gotten worse over the years instead of better but I hope the images are sufficient to get some ideas across.

It's now been 10 years of continuously using this pen and in case it's helpful or interesting to anyone out there, I thought I'd do a quick review of how it's gone. I thought some might have been interested in how the platinum plating, the threaded components, clip tension or the inner cap has held up over the years as these are often the first points of wear or failure on pens such as this and in such an expensive item might not be experiences by users who prefer to use their pen mainly at home.

I purchased this in 2011 from Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Understandably that was a difficult purchase to explain to my parents and I'm not sure if I've broken even vs using good rollerball or ballpoint disposables yet. Somewhere around 2014 I stopped using all my other pens and stopped looking for new pens and just stuck to this one since it was working well. I didn't really think much about pens from that point on; just stayed the course filling this one with Waterman Black and, later on when it came available, G.V. Faber Castell turquoise. 

Around 2015 I had to get the cap replaced because it wasn't protecting the nib from drying out and since then there hasn't been any problems. In 2018 I had the M nib ground to an oblique left-handed italic. 

As you can see from the following photos, constant carry & use over several years definitely takes its toll on the plating but not nearly as much as I anticipated. Wear was most noticeable around the butt end of the barrel where the cap would be posted (although I never use it with the cap posted, interestingly) and there are very tiny "pits" throughout the plating on the barrel. At some point the cap also got dented and dropping the barrel onto concrete caused some significant wear on the knurling on the tip of the barrel. 

The most serious wear on the platinum plating was on the cap threads. Just to clarify, that is what it looks like completely clean, the coloring and appearance is without any debris or oil from my hand. As you can see it's quite worn and pitted but still works perfectly and doesn't feel gritty or less secure when I cap or uncap the pen since I replaced the cap in 2015. The pocket clip works perfectly and doesn't creak or feel gritty or weak after 6 years of constant clipping and unclipping, although I've never clipped it to really thick fabric regularly. 

There's not much else to say that I can think of right now, ask any questions you might have. This is a really sturdy piece and while it's not everyone's taste I can say with confidence now that if you're looking for something that'll last a decade of continuous use without being coddled, this pen will, and it'll shake off being dropped and banged up.

Oh yeah, it writes great, too.

IMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.2d14f0f20a92bc165c46e2e8d5b87ecb.jpeg

IMG_7367.thumb.jpg.7d49bdde54550006328e71e73898c21c.jpg

IMG_7369.thumb.jpg.1cff07b8c0de1e8d80f27de5bb81b242.jpg

Edited by cctct

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Arcadian

• lfmarsan

• ele

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good review of a pen after ten years of use.The main thing is that the pen continue to write well even after some life "accidents".

So reassuring to those of us lucky enough to own one and really encouraging to those yet to welcome one into their lives.

Thank you for sharing 🙂

A lovely review and story. All those dings and scratches really make the pen "yours" and unique. I hope it will continue to serve you well into the future.