Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Help finding blind cap jewel for Vacumatic Oversized red


buddman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hoping either someone can help to supply me with one or direct me in the right direction.  I’ve been after an oversized red for a while and bought one in a mixed lot at an auction, only to receive it and find that the blind cap jewel is wrong - replaced with something incorrect. It’s become an expensive pen to just buy another to cannibalise.  Does anyone have one I could buy or know of one available someplace? I need the gold metal ring as well as the red striped jewel.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

284343CF-4BED-4378-9E00-EB38AF869663.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • FarmBoy

    2

  • bunnspecial

    2

  • VacNut

    10

  • buddman

    7

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I THINK the OS blind cap is the same size jewel as a standard cap jewel. That's at least how it looks to me comparing side-by-side with two OSs I had handy.

 

If that's the case, you at least have a a slightly easier job, although that's still a desireable part given how valuable in general burgundy Vacs are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

I THINK the OS blind cap is the same size jewel as a standard cap jewel. That's at least how it looks to me comparing side-by-side with two OSs I had handy.

 

If that's the case, you at least have a a slightly easier job, although that's still a desireable part given how valuable in general burgundy Vacs are. 

The threads on a OS Burgundy End Cap Jewel is different than a standard. The profile of the jewel is also different, as is the diameter of the tassies. You can find replacement tassies by using a search engine, but they will be just brass without a gold plating. 
Five Star Pens has Vacumatic replacement parts, but the end jewels and tassies are difficult to find for an OS. Although not perfect, you may have better luck finding an interim black cap jewel, until you find the burgundy jewel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

The threads on a OS Burgundy End Cap Jewel is different than a standard. The profile of the jewel is also different, as is the diameter of the tassies. You can find replacement tassies by using a search engine, but they will be just brass without a gold plating. 
Five Star Pens has Vacumatic replacement parts, but the end jewels and tassies are difficult to find for an OS. Although not perfect, you may have better luck finding an interim black cap jewel, until you find the burgundy jewel.

 

Well, sorry for the bad info and that’s good to know for reference. 
 

If it were mine(abs a burgundy OS is on my wish list) I’d be inclined to put a black jewel on it also. Afaik, black was common on later double jewel Maximas and Majors of all colors and to my eye it’s quite nice looking even though it’s not striped to match the pen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Well, sorry for the bad info and that’s good to know for reference. 
 

If it were mine(abs a burgundy OS is on my wish list) I’d be inclined to put a black jewel on it also. Afaik, black was common on later double jewel Maximas and Majors of all colors and to my eye it’s quite nice looking even though it’s not striped to match the pen. 

Sad to say, the black OS end jewel will only be slightly easier to find. Both are difficult. I would recommend you research this forum on how to secure the jewels in place after you find a replacement. 
gl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you both.  I will just keep my eyes out as I’d rather wait and repair it “properly”.  It’s a waiting game afterall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s worth a search on eBay. I have occasionally got lucky on there. The next U.K. pen show is in Birmingham next month. Could try there too. Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, VacNut said:

The threads on a OS Burgundy End Cap Jewel is different than a standard. The profile of the jewel is also different, as is the diameter of the tassies. You can find replacement tassies by using a search engine, but they will be just brass without a gold plating. 
Five Star Pens has Vacumatic replacement parts, but the end jewels and tassies are difficult to find for an OS. Although not perfect, you may have better luck finding an interim black cap jewel, until you find the burgundy jewel.

 

I tried five star but no luck 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They had nothing because Vac Nut scoops up every part that hits the market…

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 
 

 My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FarmBoy said:

They had nothing because Vac Nut scoops up every part that hits the market…

Not every....end jewels are very hard to find. There is a surplus of all the other parts. The Doc  may have jewels. Still working on rebuilding 2-3 pens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

Not every....end jewels are very hard to find. There is a surplus of all the other parts. The Doc  may have jewels. Still working on rebuilding 2-3 pens. 

The Doc? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, buddman said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hoping either someone can help to supply me with one or direct me in the right direction.  I’ve been after an oversized red for a while and bought one in a mixed lot at an auction, only to receive it and find that the blind cap jewel is wrong - replaced with something incorrect. It’s become an expensive pen to just buy another to cannibalise.  Does anyone have one I could buy or know of one available someplace? I need the gold metal ring as well as the red striped jewel.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

284343CF-4BED-4378-9E00-EB38AF869663.jpeg

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say out loud that that doesn’t look awful. I kinda like it, it has the look of an old  honest repair done by someone who liked to tinker with stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the steam-punk look of the filler cap, but i agree that it could have been worse. Question is how did they manage to keep the brass cap in place, since it is not threaded. Adhesive?
I have played with adjusting a standard clip jewel to fit onto the end cap. It is passable, but you have to use an adhesive as the threads are different. I would also say a burgundy standard clip jewel, is not easy to find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, buddman said:

The Doc? 

You can search the Forum with keywords for the collector and website.

You can find replica tassies on auctions websites and by search engine. The replicas will be brass, as is the original. If you want to be more precise with the re-build, You can have the tassie gold plated. The newer generation are better than earlier versions. Feel free to PM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, buddman said:

The Doc? 

I meant to say the Nut. But he knew that. 
 

I once saw his parts bin…

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 
 

 My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

I meant to say the Nut. But he knew that. 
 

I once saw his parts bin…

Hoping to return one Vacumatic at a time back to the collecting world. Currently working on a dozen. Haven’t cracked open the storage bins recently. It is a slow process..

Like the Beatles..”I get by with a little help from my friends”....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

I meant to say the Nut. But he knew that. 
 

I once saw his parts bin…

Sad to say the end cap jewel bins are depleted for OS Vacs. They always seem to come off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel your pain. I have been trying to source replacement sections for these two beauties. The diameters vary and the shrunken celluloid doesn’t help.C30BEFB6-3BB9-408C-904C-69E496BECC82.thumb.jpeg.3ac4699e57983b5bde576da3306e414c.jpeg

 

I may have to source the sections from less sought after colors.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37978
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      31107
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25602
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • A Smug Dill
      @Texas42 Thank you. I myself have recently had the experience of cleaning out a Wing Sung 699, in which the iron-gall ink has been sitting for six months. No damage to the metal piston rod (whereas, in a Wing Sung 3013 vacuum-filler, it would have been corroded, turned green, and contaminated the ink in mere weeks), but there was a ring of colour at the far end of the barrel that wouldn't budge, and I found it impossible to unscrew the filling mechanism to clean the interior wall of the ink rese
    • Texas42
      Dang. You are a great friend!   One comment as a relative newcomer would be within the cleaning section: issues/differences in cleaning vacuum filler, piston filler in addition to cartridge/converter. I just cleaned out my Pilot 823 and while it wasn't particularly difficult I was a little paranoid about the drops of water that I could not get out. Perhaps this is something you are already including.   Anyway, great project and very thoughtful of you. I know it's a project fo
    • Splat
      Ah Ruaidhri ya wee heid banger, you do indeed have an Irishman’s way wid dose words now. I’ll be from outer Aberdeenshire up in the blizzard riven braes of the Grampians.  Amateur medicine and surgery is it? Well what noble aspirations you do possess, we need to encourage such noble experimentations.  I pondered on leaving my own battered shell to science, but, until I read your pearls of wisdom and lament, I had comedown on the side of leaving my body to Findus frozen foods.  However, your rema
    • austollie
      Hi Smug Dill,   Nice project.  If it were me, I'd cover stuff like: - nib types available, i.e. styles, materials (SS vs gold), flex vs nails; - filling systems (I love the "thingie" comment) and how once can use them in practice (e.g. fill cartridges with a syringe); - pen body materials and their consequences (pen not balanced of too heavy and big for the hand); - and, whilst you've made it clear that you do not like vintage pens, a discussion of these beyond "I d
    • A Smug Dill
      Thanks for your input! Yes, not putting wood in the list of body materials warranting a mention was an oversight. I love pens with wooden bodies, but my main concern, or chagrin, is that I have not come across a wooden-bodied pen with a wooden cap that seals well. Actually, there is one, but it isn't really wood per se: the Pilot Custom Kaede's maple body is resin impregnated. All other wooden pens I have can dry out while capped and undisturbed; that includes several Platinum #3776 models.
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Albinoni
      Albinoni
      (55 years old)
    2. Atlanta
      Atlanta
      (39 years old)
    3. Azurelion
      Azurelion
      (45 years old)
    4. birdylo
      birdylo
    5. bobbieacuti
      bobbieacuti
      (52 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...