Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Help finding blind cap jewel for Vacumatic Oversized red

buddman

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hoping either someone can help to supply me with one or direct me in the right direction.  I’ve been after an oversized red for a while and bought one in a mixed lot at an auction, only to receive it and find that the blind cap jewel is wrong - replaced with something incorrect. It’s become an expensive pen to just buy another to cannibalise.  Does anyone have one I could buy or know of one available someplace? I need the gold metal ring as well as the red striped jewel.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

284343CF-4BED-4378-9E00-EB38AF869663.jpeg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• bunnspecial

• VacNut

• buddman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I THINK the OS blind cap is the same size jewel as a standard cap jewel. That's at least how it looks to me comparing side-by-side with two OSs I had handy.

If that's the case, you at least have a a slightly easier job, although that's still a desireable part given how valuable in general burgundy Vacs are. 

59 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

I THINK the OS blind cap is the same size jewel as a standard cap jewel. That's at least how it looks to me comparing side-by-side with two OSs I had handy.

If that's the case, you at least have a a slightly easier job, although that's still a desireable part given how valuable in general burgundy Vacs are. 

The threads on a OS Burgundy End Cap Jewel is different than a standard. The profile of the jewel is also different, as is the diameter of the tassies. You can find replacement tassies by using a search engine, but they will be just brass without a gold plating. 
Five Star Pens has Vacumatic replacement parts, but the end jewels and tassies are difficult to find for an OS. Although not perfect, you may have better luck finding an interim black cap jewel, until you find the burgundy jewel.

BTW, the brass knurled cap on the end of the blind cap is the cap on the filler. Is the filler also in need of repair?

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

The threads on a OS Burgundy End Cap Jewel is different than a standard. The profile of the jewel is also different, as is the diameter of the tassies. You can find replacement tassies by using a search engine, but they will be just brass without a gold plating. 
Five Star Pens has Vacumatic replacement parts, but the end jewels and tassies are difficult to find for an OS. Although not perfect, you may have better luck finding an interim black cap jewel, until you find the burgundy jewel.

Well, sorry for the bad info and that’s good to know for reference. 

If it were mine(abs a burgundy OS is on my wish list) I’d be inclined to put a black jewel on it also. Afaik, black was common on later double jewel Maximas and Majors of all colors and to my eye it’s quite nice looking even though it’s not striped to match the pen. 

3 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

Well, sorry for the bad info and that’s good to know for reference. 

If it were mine(abs a burgundy OS is on my wish list) I’d be inclined to put a black jewel on it also. Afaik, black was common on later double jewel Maximas and Majors of all colors and to my eye it’s quite nice looking even though it’s not striped to match the pen. 

Sad to say, the black OS end jewel will only be slightly easier to find. Both are difficult. I would recommend you research this forum on how to secure the jewels in place after you find a replacement. 
gl

Thank you both.  I will just keep my eyes out as I’d rather wait and repair it “properly”.  It’s a waiting game afterall

It’s worth a search on eBay. I have occasionally got lucky on there. The next U.K. pen show is in Birmingham next month. Could try there too. Good luck!

8 hours ago, VacNut said:

I tried five star but no luck 

They had nothing because Vac Nut scoops up every part that hits the market…

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

1 hour ago, FarmBoy said:

They had nothing because Vac Nut scoops up every part that hits the market…

Not every....end jewels are very hard to find. There is a surplus of all the other parts. The Doc  may have jewels. Still working on rebuilding 2-3 pens. 

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

Not every....end jewels are very hard to find. There is a surplus of all the other parts. The Doc  may have jewels. Still working on rebuilding 2-3 pens. 

The Doc? 

23 hours ago, buddman said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hoping either someone can help to supply me with one or direct me in the right direction.  I’ve been after an oversized red for a while and bought one in a mixed lot at an auction, only to receive it and find that the blind cap jewel is wrong - replaced with something incorrect. It’s become an expensive pen to just buy another to cannibalise.  Does anyone have one I could buy or know of one available someplace? I need the gold metal ring as well as the red striped jewel.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. 

284343CF-4BED-4378-9E00-EB38AF869663.jpeg

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say out loud that that doesn’t look awful. I kinda like it, it has the look of an old  honest repair done by someone who liked to tinker with stuff.

I like the steam-punk look of the filler cap, but i agree that it could have been worse. Question is how did they manage to keep the brass cap in place, since it is not threaded. Adhesive?
I have played with adjusting a standard clip jewel to fit onto the end cap. It is passable, but you have to use an adhesive as the threads are different. I would also say a burgundy standard clip jewel, is not easy to find.

6 hours ago, buddman said:

The Doc? 

You can search the Forum with keywords for the collector and website.

You can find replica tassies on auctions websites and by search engine. The replicas will be brass, as is the original. If you want to be more precise with the re-build, You can have the tassie gold plated. The newer generation are better than earlier versions. Feel free to PM.

6 hours ago, buddman said:

The Doc? 

I meant to say the Nut. But he knew that. 

I once saw his parts bin…

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next great pen show is on schedule for August 27-28-29, 2021. If we all do what we need to do...you can Book your travel and tables and make SF 2021 the Return. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

24 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

Hoping to return one Vacumatic at a time back to the collecting world. Currently working on a dozen. Haven’t cracked open the storage bins recently. It is a slow process..

Like the Beatles..”I get by with a little help from my friends”....

30 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

Sad to say the end cap jewel bins are depleted for OS Vacs. They always seem to come off.

I feel your pain. I have been trying to source replacement sections for these two beauties. The diameters vary and the shrunken celluloid doesn’t help.C30BEFB6-3BB9-408C-904C-69E496BECC82.thumb.jpeg.3ac4699e57983b5bde576da3306e414c.jpeg

I may have to source the sections from less sought after colors.