Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

InkShift - Mont Blanc Lavender Purple to Royal Blue

namrehsnoom

InkShift – Mont Blanc Lavender Purple to Royal Blue

Just for the fun of it, I occasionally resume my project exploring what happens when you move progressively from one ink colour to another. For now, I'm restricting myself to inks from the same manufacturer - mainly to avoid nasty chemical surprises. My hope is that some of these "inkshifts" result in interesting colours that I can use to write/draw with. And besides... it's just fun to watch one ink colour morph into another one. 

Mont Blanc Lavender Purple is a technically ok ink, but has that shade of red-purple that doesn’t really appeal to me. And so I ended up with a bottle that’s been collecting dust in my ink cabinet. Time for a change… I decided to see if I could morph Lavender Purple more toward the blue end of the spectrum, by mixing it with Royal Blue. Maybe there are some interesting combinations in the mix, maybe even a fairly decent violet-blue. Who knows... only one way to find out, and that is to carry out the inkshift experiment.

large.33989989_inkshift-MBLavenderPurpletoRoyalBlue300ppipt1.jpg.58fbcb00d99f11bffa7ba19c75dece24.jpg

large.802434445_inkshift-MBLavenderPurpletoRoyalBlue300ppipt2.jpg.6114f62bdf791af3d777e1b3346e28ef.jpg

In the span between the two starting inks more interesting colours appear, that certainly beat the original Lavender Purple (my personal opinion). The 1:1 mix is a blue-purple that looks quite nice. And the mix of 1 part Lavender Purple with 3 parts Royal Blue is my personal favourite: a soft blue-heavy violet that looks really appealing. For me, both of these mixes are a significant improvement to the original Lavender Purple. Another bottle of ink saved from oblivion!

I continue to enjoy these ink morphing experiments. Fun adventures in ink-land, and more often than not you are rewarded with a mix that beats the original inks. Fun guaranteed!

large.847545271_inkshift-MBLavenderPurpletoRoyalBlue-collage.jpg.d42bfc58fda0321ad4b0325e69362f95.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• namrehsnoom

• mizgeorge

• The Mustard

Another brilliant Inkshift! Thank you @namrehsnoom :)

I didn't start liking the colour until you hit 1LP:2RB, but really like the penultimate version - and would cheerfully use that. At that rate, it may take me a while to use up my equally unloved Lavender Purple though!

Thanks @namrehsnoom that was really interesting and I’m glad you have found a solution to your unloved ink, for me the 1:1 was your best blend. I’m feeling the need to stand up for Lavendar purple though as I think it’s a great ink, ultimately my preference amongst MB inks would be for a maroon colour such as Antoine de Exupery or The Petit Prince Rose Burgundy (obviously both disadvantaged by being LE) but I do find LP a very viable alternative and definitely preferable to Amethyst Purple. Maybe it’s because LP was the first bottle of ink that I ever bought that I feel an irrational sentimental attachment to it though?!

I don't have MB Royal Blue, but I really like MB Lavender Purple.  And now thinking that I should maybe think about getting the Royal Blue, because I really like some of the mixtures, especially when they start leaning more towards the blue end of the spectrum.

Thanks for doing this (my wallet of course is objecting strenuously... :headsmack:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

@inkstainedruth Royal Blue is a much deeper, darker blue (apologies, I always struggle with ink adjectives!) than I ever imagined it would be, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed once you’ve forgotten the cost! 

Well, maybe I'll get lucky, like I did with MB Permanent Blue-Black and Encree du Desert, and find a bottle at an estate sale sometime.... :rolleyes:  Both bottles seemed to be almost (if not completely full) and they were a roughly a THIRD of the regular retail price. :bunny01:)

I can't really ever see myself buying a MB pen -- but I do like some of their inks....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for this!

My favorite is 1LP:2RB. I'd use that color regularly. It's interesting that the two mixes on either side of this one seem more saturated.

"Most people enjoy the sight of their own handwriting as they enjoy the smell of their own farts." - W. H. Auden