How to fix a creeping nib?

IanP2303

I love my Lamy Safari, but the ink keeps creeping up and it annoys me and I wonder why, is it something I did? I am looking for advice and solutions, thank you! 

EF nibs!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IanP2303

• A Smug Dill

• Vartiz

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it bouncing around in a backpack?

Store it upright.

Use drier ink.

Accept.

Don't put ink in it.

😁

Add lightness and simplicate.

In which circumstances are you seeing nib creep? When you're uncapping the pen after a pause of several hours or even several days between writing sessions? Or do you start with a clean nib face at the beginning of a writing session, but observe nib creep on either side of the slit between the tines more and more as you write with the pen?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

16 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Is it bouncing around in a backpack?

Store it upright.

Use drier ink.

Accept.

Don't put ink in it.

😁

It’s bouncing around but I try my best to keep it still, though I always store my pens upright. Do you count Pelikan 4001 royal blue a wet ink? 

EF nibs!!!

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

In which circumstances are you seeing nib creep? When you're uncapping the pen after a pause of several hours or even several days between writing sessions? Or do you start with a clean nib face at the beginning of a writing session, but observe nib creep on either side of the slit between the tines more and more as you write with the pen?

I will observe my pen for the rest of the day and then I’ll tell you.

EF nibs!!!

13 hours ago, maclink said:

It may just be your choice of ink?  Is it happening with the same ink?

I only have a bottle of ink for now.

EF nibs!!!

Just asking, does the Kaweco sport classic fountain pen black use real gold for the nib and cap? Is it a good pen?

EF nibs!!!

6 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

Just asking, does the Kaweco sport classic fountain pen black use real gold for the nib and cap? Is it a good pen?

I have one, the nib is steel with gold colored plating. It is a good pen

7 minutes ago, Vartiz said:

I have one, the nib is steel with gold colored plating. It is a good pen

Oh, nice! Is it smooth and is extra fine or fine available, is it a Japan made pen and a Japanese company? It is because I have always wanted a Japanese fountain pen.

EF nibs!!!

9 minutes ago, IanP2303 said:

Oh, nice! Is it smooth and is extra fine or fine available, is it a Japan made pen and a Japanese company? It is because I have always wanted a Japanese fountain pen.

The one I have is a Broad it is very smooth, I have a medium on the away and Mom has a fine coming too so I can report then after they arrive, I know they have extra fine available too.

Is a German company and the pen is made in Germany.

If you want a Japanese pen search for Platinum, Sailor or Pilot

Edited by Vartiz
forgot to add Pilot

8 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

Just asking, does the Kaweco sport classic fountain pen …‹snip›…

1 hour ago, IanP2303 said:

…‹snip›…, is it a Japan made pen and a Japanese company? It is because I have always wanted a Japanese fountain pen.

It's in no way Japanese.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, Vartiz said:

The one I have is a Broad it is very smooth, I have a medium on the away and Mom has a fine coming too so I can report then after they arrive, I know they have extra fine available too.

Is a German company and the pen is made in Germany.

If you want a Japanese pen search for Platinum, Sailor or Pilot

Oh, thanks a lot!

EF nibs!!!

19 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

Do you count Pelikan 4001 royal blue a wet ink? 

A dry ink...not quite as dry as 4001 Blue-black....but a dry ink.

Lamy's blue and turquoise & BB is nearly dry as 4001.

Normally the German inks I use are not known for nib creep. Pelikan, Lamy, MB, R&k....I've had no problems with DA either.

Could be how one takes off the cap...or if the cap has ink in it to if one has ink on the nib before you write.

Nib creep happens on a clean nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

A dry ink...not quite as dry as 4001 Blue-black....but a dry ink.

Lamy's blue and turquoise & BB is nearly dry as 4001.

Normally the German inks I use are not known for nib creep. Pelikan, Lamy, MB, R&k....I've had no problems with DA either.

Could be how one takes off the cap...or if the cap has ink in it to if one has ink on the nib before you write.

Nib creep happens on a clean nib.

Oh, that might be it, whenever I uncap my pen there seems to be nib creeping on it, no matter whether it is a clean nib or not. Any tips? 

EF nibs!!!

On 10/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, IanP2303 said:

I love my Lamy Safari, but the ink keeps creeping up and it annoys me and I wonder why, is it something I did?

7 minutes ago, IanP2303 said:

whenever I uncap my pen there seems to be nib creeping on it,

I suspect one of two likely causes:

1. the cap seals very well for a snap cap against ink evaporation from the nib and feed when the pen is unused, but the design or construction is such that when you remove the cap, there is enough increase in volume in the hermetically sealed space, to create a sufficiently large pressure differential from the empty portion in the space inside the ink converter or cartridge, briefly before the ‘snap’ and the seal is broken; the momentary imbalance causes more ink to be suddenly pushed into the feed
  2. the cap does not seal very well, so there is continuous ink evaporation even when the pen is capped and unused; and some wetter inks, instead of just drying out in the nib and feed, will just flow from the reservoir into the feed to equalise the differential in viscosity or solute concentration

If it's the former, then after cleaning and drying the nib surface, repeated and rapid capping and uncapping of the pen will quickly give rise to nib creep again.

If it's the latter, then filling the pen with an ink (e.g. Diamine Ancient Copper) that is known for being apt to form ink crud (as opposed to exhibiting nib creep), then capping it and leaving it undisturbed for a few days or even a week, will allow ink crud to form and that will be evident when you next uncap it.

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I suspect one of two likely causes:

1. the cap seals very well for a snap cap against ink evaporation from the nib and feed when the pen is unused, but the design or construction is such that when you remove the cap, there is enough increase in volume in the hermetically sealed space, to create a sufficiently large pressure differential from the empty portion in the space inside the ink converter or cartridge, briefly before the ‘snap’ and the seal is broken; the momentary imbalance causes more ink to be suddenly pushed into the feed
  2. the cap does not seal very well, so there is continuous ink evaporation even when the pen is capped and unused; and some wetter inks, instead of just drying out in the nib and feed, will just flow from the reservoir into the feed to equalise the differential in viscosity or solute concentration

If it's the former, then after cleaning and drying the nib surface, repeated and rapid capping and uncapping of the pen will quickly give rise to nib creep again.

If it's the latter, then filling the pen with an ink (e.g. Diamine Ancient Copper) that is known for being apt to form ink crud (as opposed to exhibiting nib creep), then capping it and leaving it undisturbed for a few days or even a week, will allow ink crud to form and that will be evident when you next uncap it.

Nice, thanks 

EF nibs!!!