Vegan leather - it's an oxymoron

inkypete

I am so over notebooks, compendiums etc being advertised as 'vegan leather'. No such thing - that would mean not leather. Just call it what it is. Describe the cover look and feel, what it is made of etc. But if it is not leather, its not leather. 

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Bo Bo Olson

• sansenri

• Aether

I couldn't agree more!

Vegan leather, PU leather, etc. is not leather, and should not ever be listed for people who just want to buy leather products. Stuff made of animal skin only, thanks! Alternatives to even consider are not necessary; if I want something synthetic, I'd use that as the search keyword.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

This is like a place about an hour from where I used to live that was a rescue place for farm animals (at least they *did* understand that the sheep needed to be sheared once a year).  Someone tipped the local SCA groups about it and several people went out to get bags of wool for the fiber people.  The place put out a magazine about what they did, and gave my husband and me an issue of it.  

There was an interview with one of the founders, who said "I no longer wear wool sweaters because it's an animal by-product!"  I didn't know whether I wanted to pat the person on the head and say "There there, it will all right..." in a patronizing tone, or dope-slap the person and begin a twenty minute rant about the environmental impact of the cotton industry in the United States, including the vast amount of petrochemicals used as fertilizers because cotton plants are so hard on the soil -- and cotton is still better than flax, because in order to replenish the nutrients in the soil, flax is grown during year 4 of a 7 to 10 year crop rotation cycle....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Dang! I always thought there was something wrong about so-called "meatless hamburgers".... 🙄

21 minutes ago, carlos.q said:

I always thought there was something wrong about so-called "meatless hamburgers".... 🙄

齋燒鴨 (zhai siu ngaap, literally ‘vegetarian roast duck’) has always bemused me since I was a child, and that's not exactly modern marketing that twists, undermines, or degrades the meaning of particular words.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Like soy milk. I have never seen a lactating soya bean. It ain't milk - it's soy juice. And now almond milk - show me a lactating almond! It's almond juice.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

The wonderful cartoonist John. Atkinson:

at-the-oxymoron-museum.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

12 hours ago, inkypete said:

I am so over notebooks, compendiums etc being advertised as 'vegan leather'. No such thing - that would mean not leather. Just call it what it is. Describe the cover look and feel, what it is made of etc. But if it is not leather, its not leather. 

Right.  Neither are cauliflower 'chicken' cutlets.  Call things what they are.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Call things what they are.

Uh Oh.  Caution!!  That's not allowed.

Add lightness and simplicate.

How 'bout usin' "artificial plastic" where necessary?

My fave these days is (what I in fact use every morning on overnight soaked-in oatmeal flakes): "Oatmeal Drink" (due to the fact that "Oatmeal Milk" is not allowed here). BTW, "Coconut Milk" is  allowed.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Honestly, the whole concept of Vegan irritates me, just like cauliflower bread and all that other nonsense.

And seeing all this impossible/beyond meat stuff with beet juice to simulate the bloody rare….YUCK!

To each his or her own I guess….hope I don’t get canceled for these thoughts LOL!

marketing jargon... but you need to understand the logic, because there is, and some people fall in the trap...

one of the most frequent strategies in marketing is "turn a disadvantage into an advantage"

vegan leather hides the fact it's plastic behind the ecologic claim, it's obvious, but sort of clever...

so don't be surprised, you'll see lots of these

13 minutes ago, sansenri said:

marketing jargon... but you need to understand the logic, because there is, and some people fall in the trap...

one of the most frequent strategies in marketing is "turn a disadvantage into an advantage"

vegan leather hides the fact it's plastic behind the ecologic claim, it's obvious, but sort of clever...

so don't be surprised, you'll see lots of these

The amusing thing to me about this is that 99% of all plastic is made from fossil fuels….

Several decades ago, in a particular sub-culture, it was referred to it as "pleather"

Add lightness and simplicate.

"the amusing thing to me about this is that 99% of all plastic is made from fossil fuels…. "

true, however not only this means further consumption of fossil resources, but also additional pollution during manufacture and polluting waste when disposed of

it does make you wonder whether breeding animals for the leather isn't better...

still consider the clever name, faux leather sounds 2 times bad... (not only it's plastic but it's something fake) vegan leather makes you feel less guilty...

3 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Right.  Neither are cauliflower 'chicken' cutlets.  Call things what they are.

I've never entirely understood the vegan concept of making the 'food' look like meat.......  'I'm forcing myself not to eat meat but I want my food to look appetising like meat....'   ??

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

27 minutes ago, sansenri said:

The irony is incredible.  Promote plastic clothing (shoes, jackets) as "Vegan leather" when in fact it is plastic, from those who are warning us of environmental damage from plastics.  The articles will not last as long either, meaning that they will have to be replaced sooner, with more plastic.  My son is now wearing the leather jacket that I was wearing when he was born.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

At least when something is marketed as vegan leather, the buyer knows it's not really leather.  No one is being misled, albeit the term is self-contradictory.  There are lots of examples like that.  Take mag wheels on cars.  The "mag" is short for magnesium, when most mag wheels today are made of aluminium alloys.

My favourite is "vegetarian chilli con carne".  Vegetarian chilli with meat? Huh?  More like "chilli non carne".  Still, no one is being misled when they order vegetarian chilli con carne.