EFNIR: Hero 232 Blue-Black

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Hero 232 Blue-Black

This is review #137 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was fairly easy and required only plain water, but the ink did cling slightly to the inside of the converter and section, requiring a swab to fully remove.  Were I not doing reviews, I might not even have noticed (wouldn't have looked so closely), and would have let the next ink take care of it.

This is an iron gall ink.  Once again, I have no colors very close to this one.  It's like a darker version of Rohrer & Klingner sketchINK Frieda.  It leans a little to the green side (especially compared with my other blue-blacks), but not far enough to be considered teal (or even tealish).  The screen capture and scan give a good idea of the darkness on the page, but the zoom gives the best idea of the ink color.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.Hero232BlueBlack.jpg.ce6f03c9a76ff1bc54fc4a07d5ae7d24.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.Hero232BlueBlackS.jpg.2d21b6979d58ba13e9185e044e08ecbb.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.Hero232BlueBlackZ.jpg.edc177afeb80f2206e0bfb352ef64069.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.Hero232BlueBlackAP.jpg.b2fd05b4c79588323280d369d75fd9cb.jpg

Close-up of water-resistance test result:
large.Hero232BlueBlackW.jpg.c946174aa7c17ed7f2ef8f1f68a98cf8.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Diamine Midnight.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• PithyProlix

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review!  You know I love blue-blacks.  This is another ink I have, but don't use often, because iron gall.  😱 

Good thoughts?  Hmmmmm......naaaah, I got nothin'!  🤪

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Great job Liz as usual :thumbup:

I would've though the wizards would have a team of Pegasus to drive them about!.

I have to admit that I really like the colour. But, I'll stick with my Essri. 

Thank you as ever @LizEF - great review of a nice looking ink. The colour is very appealing, and it looks pretty well behaved. 

I don't think it's different enough to go out of my way to find, but if I spotted it when I was shopping for something else, I would probably pop a bottle in just because...

2 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for the review!

You're very welcome! :)

You know I love blue-blacks.  This is another ink I have, but don't use often, because iron gall.  😱 

Well, I don't think it's got enough gall for you to worry about. :)  I looked around, and couldn't find it for sale (in stock).  But that's OK, I've got more than enough inks already!

Good thoughts?  Hmmmmm......naaaah, I got nothin'!  🤪

:lol: Well, you could always ponder your love of blue-blacks - those seem like good thoughts to me. ;)

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Great job Liz as usual :thumbup:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

I would've though the wizards would have a team of Pegasus to drive them about!.

Drat!  Why didn't you have that idea before I wrote that scene? ;)

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

I have to admit that I really like the colour. But, I'll stick with my Essri. 

Well, given how hard this ink is to find (on this side of the Pacific, anyway), I can't blame you.

46 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you as ever @LizEF - great review of a nice looking ink.

You're welcome!  Thanks! :D

46 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

The colour is very appealing, and it looks pretty well behaved. 

I don't think it's different enough to go out of my way to find, but if I spotted it when I was shopping for something else, I would probably pop a bottle in just because...

:) Yeah, that about sums it up.  If one didn't already have a bunch of iron gall blue-blacks, and if one could get this ink without too much difficulty, then I'd say pick this one.  But otherwise, pick any of them, they're all awfully similar.

A few months ago on FPN, I believe, someone was able to find some listings for it on Aliexpress and at its typically low price. From memory, neither "Hero" nor "232" were used in the listings so the expected search won't work.

I have and like this ink but I don't use it anymore because I have so many other inks I like better. But if I became a monk in a monastery in a remote, mountain forest or some such and I could only have one ink this is probably it. But I'd probably dilute it quite a bit to bring the darkness down a notch or two (also that way I could make the ink last longer because who knows if Aliexpress delivers to my monastery in the hinterlands?).

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

15 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

But if I became a monk in a monastery in a remote, mountain forest

... documenting the behavior of sentient mushrooms in their natural habitat? :D :lol:

I did find a listing on Aliexpress, but it was out of stock.  Perhaps there are others, as you say, just not under the English name.

27 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

A few months ago on FPN, I believe, someone was able to find some listings for it on Aliexpress and at it's typically low price. From memory, neither "Hero" nor "232" were used in the listings so the expected search won't work.

Did you mean this?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/356315-hero-232-a-lazy-review/?do=findComment&comment=4405446

10 minutes ago, LizEF said:

I did find a listing on Aliexpress, but it was out of stock.  Perhaps there are others, as you say, just not under the English name.

I put in a quick search on AliExpress just now, and the first match returned was a listing for this very ink and it's in stock. (I would never consider buying it at that shipping-inclusive asking price, however.)

One thing I neglected to mention in my review of the ink was sheen. I didn't see any sheen on the test sheet (written on Rhodia DotPad 80g/m² paper) at the time; but to my surprise I saw some sheen when I was scribbling with a (Kaco Edge) pen the other day in which a cartridge refilled with this ink has aged and condensed to some extent over time, just before I proceeded to clean the pen out.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 minutes ago, LizEF said:

... documenting the behavior of sentient mushrooms in their natural habitat? :D :lol:

I don't know about sentient mushrooms - nor where your question came from! - but some people say I'm a 'fun guy'. 😁

30 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

A few months ago on FPN, I believe, someone was able to find some listings for it on Aliexpress and at it's typically low price. From memory, neither "Hero" nor "232" were used in the listings so the expected search won't work.

9 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Maybe! 

That was helpful in composing a search. Some listings here have Hero 232 in stock: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=glass+bottled+smooth+fountain+pen+writing+ink

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

I don't know about sentient mushrooms - nor where your question came from! - but some people say I'm a 'fun guy'. 😁

:D There was mention of sentient mushrooms in the ongoing story that makes up the "writing sample" of my reviews.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:D There was mention of sentient mushrooms in the ongoing story that makes up the "writing sample" of my reviews.

Sorry - I missed it. I may be a fun guy but I'm sentient only occasionally. 

4 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

Sorry - I missed it. I may be a fun guy but I'm sentient only occasionally. 

:) :lol:

I bought two bottles of this back when it was cheap (<4 USD). It doesn't work great in all pens, and it smells like a chemical waste dump, but it is my perfect tone of blue-black. 

1 hour ago, TSherbs said:

It doesn't work great in all pens, and it smells like a chemical waste dump, but it is my perfect tone of blue-black. 

:lol:  The price we pay for the perfect shade.

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

The price we pay for the perfect shade.

The expense of erecting a verandah? The price of buying and inconvenience of carrying a parasol?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

7 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

The expense of erecting a verandah? The price of buying and inconvenience of carrying a parasol?

:lol: Precisely!  The expense of the sapling and patience required to wait for it to grow.  The years and years spent ghost-hunting...

6 minutes ago, LizEF said:

The years and years spent ghost-hunting...

Oh, ye of little faith! The one and only perfect one is already in the holy Trinity. 😜