Ensso Early Black Friday

Theroc

Ensso is offering a 35% discount on their entire stock.

The Italia Titanium comes out to about $84 with free shipping. Hurry, though. Less than 20 left.

Standard disclaimer, no affiliation.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Theroc

• Jamerelbe

• MuddyWaters

• mrsharkbait

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi buddy! It’s been a while. Did you get the Italian? I have a Nova Studio Ti. It is too similar so I will pass. The Greek key pattern is quite nice though.

I have several Ensso pens (Piuma, Pocket Piuma, Italia, and XS Pocket pen - though I've lost two of these as well 😞).  Would highly recommend any and all of them - especially at the sale price! 

On 10/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, mrsharkbait said:

Did you get the Italian?

Yes, I got my 3rd one 😁.

Just couldn't pass it up. IMHO, the Italia is the best realized machined metal fountain pen out there. It ticks all the boxes for me, and I am generally not in into metal pens.

• 2 weeks later...

Only 5 Italia Titanium Turquoise Cerakote pens left @ $79, guys. And 7 regular ones.

I find it incomprehensible that they haven't sold out already. Then again I suffer from severe FP-FOMO.

21 minutes ago, Theroc said:

Only 5 Italia Titanium Turquoise Cerakote pens left @ $79, guys. And 7 regular ones.

I find it incomprehensible that they haven't sold out already. Then again I suffer from severe FP-FOMO.

Just saw the ad, and the Cerakote pens are now gone 😭! Already have a Kickstarter version of the titanium, so... I think I'll pass...

3 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

It seemed to show some were left in both colours from my side.

Indeed. There's more stock now. Either a lot of people canceled their orders, or Ensso are playing the FOMO harp real hard.

7 hours ago, Theroc said:

Indeed. There's more stock now. Either a lot of people canceled their orders, or Ensso are playing the FOMO harp real hard.

That would be kind for shameful really. 

Anyway I was trying to find reviews of the ceratoke finish and couldn't find any. 

As for the standard titanium finish, is the metal material slippery? I ask because I have a namisu aluminum pen and it's stupidly slippery. 

1 hour ago, MuddyWaters said:

That would be kind for shameful really. 

Anyway I was trying to find reviews of the ceratoke finish and couldn't find any. 

As for the standard titanium finish, is the metal material slippery? I ask because I have a namisu aluminum pen and it's stupidly slippery. 

As mentioned above, I have one of the original Italias from the Kickstarter campaign (I believe they've improved the threads, though the basic design is the same).  I don't find the pen overly slippery - it sits fairly comfortably in my hands - but your mileage may vary! [I think titanium may be a little more 'grippy' than aluminium?]

I resisted the urge last night and again this morning, and I think I am past it now. It's funny how an email with a 35% discount + limited supply for a well-sized "Italia" pen can just hijack my brain like that. In the end though, I justified not pulling the trigger with the following reasons:

-potentially slippery like the Namisu - how could I know?

-bock nibs aren't my cup of tea; neither are jowo but I think I prefer jowo

-sure it is a discount but the pen has no absolute value, so discount from what?

-should I save the money for a pen with an ebonite feed, a non-jowo/bock nib, a lighter pen of the same dimensions (Faber Castell Hexo for less than half the price), a pen I could try in store before buying, another lamy 2000?

I watched reviews by Mick L and SBREBrown and it allowed me to recenter my perspective on the fact that in the end, the nib wouldn't satisfy me and the pen would not get constant use.

5 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

As for the standard titanium finish, is the metal material slippery?

It's quite grippy actually. One of the features of the Italia is that they machined some incredibly fine ridging on the surface of the pen. You cannot really see it with the naked eye. You will need a loupe or a microscope. But I managed to get a shot with low-angle lighting and digital magnification.

001.thumb.jpg.678649f346db418d9156a9727fe696d7.jpg

I took a screen capture using a webcam microscope, too. The quality is awful, sorry.

002.thumb.jpg.b6a1f575eb11e754d8e9f9ed39157f55.jpg

You can't really feel it either, but you can feel it. If you pass a credit card edge over it, for example, it makes a very high-pitched musical rasp sound. The end result is a surface finish that looks and feels smooth, but is remarkably grippy.

Anyway, it's all moot, at this point. The pens are actually sold out. I tried again, yesterday while there appeared to be some stock left, and got an error at checkout.

Come to think of it, I still haven't gotten shipping notice for the two pens I bought when I first got the email. The last time I placed an order with Ensso, I got shipping notice within minutes.

4 hours ago, Jamerelbe said:

(I believe they've improved the threads, though the basic design is the same)

Yes, they fixed several engineering issues with the kickstarter pen; better threading, inner cap to prevent drying out, larger section grip area. One of the things I appreciate about Ensso, is how responsive they are to customer feedback.

9 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

I ask because I have a namisu aluminum pen and it's stupidly slippery. 

Sorry to read the orion didn't work out for you.  Have you found any work arounds or has it been relegated to a drawer?

3 hours ago, Theroc said:

Yes, they fixed several engineering issues with the kickstarter pen; better threading, inner cap to prevent drying out, larger section grip area. One of the things I appreciate about Ensso, is how responsive they are to customer feedback.

I hadn't heard about the inner cap, but that's also a good idea: I managed to remove the clip, smear the opening with silicone grease, and thus put an end to dryout, but it was fiddly, and I'm not thrilled at the thought of having to replenish the silicone grease when the time comes...

3 hours ago, JosephKing said:

Sorry to read the orion didn't work out for you.  Have you found any work arounds or has it been relegated to a drawer?

It's indeed just in a drawer now. The body is slippery unfortunately and I'm not a fan of the section ridges. I don't find that they actually add grip and they just rub on my fingers. The bock nib is reliable but not outstanding enough to compensate for the body issues. If I was to buy another Namisu it would probably one of the more standardly shaped ones. This Italia seems like a nice pen but again not sure the nib would blow me out of the water.

Thanks Theroc for your pictures.

7 hours ago, MuddyWaters said:

This Italia seems like a nice pen but again not sure the nib would blow me out of the water.

The Titanium bock nib I ordered with the Kickstarter version is great fun. The steel ones are just bog standard Bock nibs. They are blowing no one out of the water. But one of my Italias now has a 14kt Porsche nib (by GvFC) which I sleep-bought for a song, one night. And the Cerakote I just bought is getting a custom nib eventually. The nib units on the Italia are very easy to swap out.

Hi,

I am really looking for a Ensso Italia Titanium 2nd gen fountain pen.

They sold out before I could purchase one.

If anyone has one to sell, please PM me.

I am verified on Ebay and Paypal.

Thank you

Unfortunately there was indeed an error with Ensso's stock numbers. I just received notice that they cancelled my order of the Cerakote Italia. I'm extremely disappointed.