Which new in box Parker would you buy for ~$160 USD?

E.H. Tersono

51 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

While being burned a couple of times, I have had good experiences for the most part on eBay.  

Depending on where you live, there may also be estate sales or antique malls to check out (my best deal on a 51 was at an estate sale a few years ago -- a Forest Green 51 Aerometric for $2 US, plus another 20 bucks for a little bit of nib work to make the EF nib not scratchy).  

You may have to be willing to take car trips to go far afield.  And you may or may not find anything.  I often don't.  But if you don't look, you certainly won't.  

I see them as adventures, as days out.  If I find anything, that's just a bonus.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you, this is excellent advice. I'm on an island, and not travelling these days, but in future travels I will certainly be checking out antique malls once again!

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.H. Tersono

• TheRedBeard

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• OCArt

Please try an entry level Pelikan M200 or M205 someday, even if it's only in a store demo.

I think you can do far better than Parkers.

vf

πTom

6 minutes ago, Versofolio said:

Please try an entry level Pelikan M200 or M205 someday, even if it's only in a store demo.

I think you can do far better than Parkers.

vf

A bold move posting this reply in a topic inside the Parker forum!

In all seriousness though I'm not at all opposed to trying any brands. That said, when prices get to around 200 USD or higher then it's beyond what I'm able to pay for what is often just a tube of plastic with a bit of gold on the end. I'm not keen on a built-in piston mechanism either, I really like being able to take out a converter and clean it, replace it, etc.

What do you like about Pelikan nibs? The design, the build, or other features? I'm glad to hear more.

To the original question Sonnet or new 51 Deluxe in Plum. I have a 51 Deluxe Plum and absolutely love it and would prefer it over almost any Sonnet. The only exception would be the Sterling Silver fougere Sonnet which would of course be much higher in cost. The 75 set is beautiful and would be a good addition to any collection. I hope you find the pen that makes you happy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well considered response E.H. and I appreciate it.

Why go to the 'Pelikan forum' and preach to the converted??

Two things; Comparison can be a good guide and keep an open mind.

We must consider who we allow to influence us and why?

What are my credentials? None on matters of 'taste'.

The most often used pens here followed the immigration trail from Great Britain. (maybe also in Canada)

Conway Stewart and Parker dominate the vintage market to the point where they are mere curios! (I have too many)!

The nib that brings me unequaled pleasure, particularly today since I have been writing for about five hours, is a Pelikan M200 steel nib. (have an identical gold nib but doesn't feel quite as good).

Firm, precise, spring and a hint of pencil-like feedback. Effortless writing and a joy to look at. There is only one other pen/nib that does this well for me and that is my Montblanc Meisterstuck 145.

I have other pens but none compare at this point in my writing experience. (they were collateral damage during my search).

Nice chatting and happy writing.

vf

πTom

41 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

To the original question Sonnet or new 51 Deluxe in Plum. I have a 51 Deluxe Plum and absolutely love it and would prefer it over almost any Sonnet. The only exception would be the Sterling Silver fougere Sonnet which would of course be much higher in cost. The 75 set is beautiful and would be a good addition to any collection. I hope you find the pen that makes you happy!

Thank you, very helpful and much appreciated!

I have read some good and not so good opinions about the new Parker 51. To compare the original and the new 51 is an interesting exercise for pen collectors. Sometimes to find the right used pen  takes effort and money.  I have  a positive feeling towards my new Parker 51 even if  it is  one with stainless steel.

2 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

I have read some good and not so good opinions about the new Parker 51. To compare the original and the new 51 is an interesting exercise for pen collectors. Sometimes to find the right used pen  takes effort and money.  I have  a positive feeling towards my new Parker 51 even if  it is  one with stainless steel.

It's so good to remember how personal our experiences with pens are. I love my $30 Kaweco sports for example, they write better than most pens I've tried in the $200+ range. It's a funny thing, but I keep looking for performance as good as my cheap pens in higher end (aka, more expensive) pens...

I really love my Brass Kaweco Sport and my Copper and Brass Liliputs. I sewed little, scrap leather, pouches for them 🤭  They are tough and reliable but I love the way the metal changes colour as I touch and use them! They are responding chemically to my touch! I can see shiny spots where my fingers and thumb rub and wear the copper patina away. Very close and personal bond I cherish! No comparison with my 70's Kaweco Sport.

I ordered a replacement stainless steel nib for my affordable Pelikan M205 today and thought of you E.H.

Pelikan M200 at Cult Pens UK (will ship to me in New Zealand and probably Canada), $138 NZD, approx $93 USD and replacement nib unit $15 NZD..what's that? 10 bucks ? (might be in your price range do you think)?

The steel nibs and units are very inexpensive, interchangable and have a bit of a fan-base here on FPN as well. I am very attached to mine right now!

Probably said more than I should on the subject so.....

vf

πTom

17 hours ago, Versofolio said:

I really love my Brass Kaweco Sport and my Copper and Brass Liliputs. I sewed little, scrap leather, pouches for them 🤭  They are tough and reliable but I love the way the metal changes colour as I touch and use them! They are responding chemically to my touch! I can see shiny spots where my fingers and thumb rub and wear the copper patina away. Very close and personal bond I cherish! No comparison with my 70's Kaweco Sport.

I ordered a replacement stainless steel nib for my affordable Pelikan M205 today and thought of you E.H.

Pelikan M200 at Cult Pens UK (will ship to me in New Zealand and probably Canada), $138 NZD, approx $93 USD and replacement nib unit $15 NZD..what's that? 10 bucks ? (might be in your price range do you think)?

The steel nibs and units are very inexpensive, interchangable and have a bit of a fan-base here on FPN as well. I am very attached to mine right now!

Probably said more than I should on the subject so.....

vf

Thank you, I'll have a look - I've ordered from Pen Heaven before but not Cult Pens yet. The Kaweco liliput in fireblue has been on my want list for a long time, and I have a brass ruler that is aging as I use it which makes me want to get something like that in brass as well, and copper too. So I definitely understand that fascination.

I'll throw this out there:

I love my 75s, and in fact lately have been writing with my XF Ciselle(France) a decent bit. I have a Sonnet and the only reason I've held on to it is its oblique nib.

A lot of folks say they don't like modern Parkers. There is a modern Parker I'm absolutely NUTS about, and that's the Duofold Centennial. This is a pen that gets something of a mixed response, but all of mine(I have 3, ranging from early Mk1 to fairly recent "Ace nib") are superb writers. I've also been enjoying a marbled blue with a factory italic nib lately.

The retail price on new Duofolds can be eye watering, but my first I think was $360 for a new "Big Red" F nib.

I bought a pair of Mk 1 Centennial and International in black for $300.

I've found the nibs, both the standard F/M grinds and some of the more obscure ones, to be excellent.

I will also add that I've spent a good portion of my FP collecting/using years actively avoiding C/C filling systems, and my first Duofold was so good that I carved out a GENEROUS exception to my own rules for Parker, as I'm sure you can see since I'm now speaking highly of both the Duofold and the 75.

Some of the LEs can get sort of nutty with their prices. I'd like one of the 100 year ones, but it's not worth $10/year to me :) . The more mundane ones are still good, though.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, bunnspecial said:

I'll throw this out there:

I love my 75s, and in fact lately have been writing with my XF Ciselle(France) a decent bit. I have a Sonnet and the only reason I've held on to it is its oblique nib.

A lot of folks say they don't like modern Parkers. There is a modern Parker I'm absolutely NUTS about, and that's the Duofold Centennial. This is a pen that gets something of a mixed response, but all of mine(I have 3, ranging from early Mk1 to fairly recent "Ace nib") are superb writers. I've also been enjoying a marbled blue with a factory italic nib lately.

The retail price on new Duofolds can be eye watering, but my first I think was $360 for a new "Big Red" F nib.

I bought a pair of Mk 1 Centennial and International in black for $300.

I've found the nibs, both the standard F/M grinds and some of the more obscure ones, to be excellent.

I will also add that I've spent a good portion of my FP collecting/using years actively avoiding C/C filling systems, and my first Duofold was so good that I carved out a GENEROUS exception to my own rules for Parker, as I'm sure you can see since I'm now speaking highly of both the Duofold and the 75.

Some of the LEs can get sort of nutty with their prices. I'd like one of the 100 year ones, but it's not worth $10/year to me :) . The more mundane ones are still good, though.

I really like the look of a lot of Duofolds! I would love to try one, and add one to my collection. Mainly I care about how it writes, about the function, and then the rest is fun. But it's on my wishlist for sure. I'm going to try a modern Sonnet that I found for under $100 USD, and if there's a problem with it I'll return it. At least then I will have tried one. And keep my eyes open for a Duofold I can try or afford to risk buying for sure, as well as a 75.

What is your preferred filling system, I'd be interested to hear more about that and why.