Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Which new in box Parker would you buy for ~$160 USD?


E.H. Tersono
 Share

Recommended Posts

After trying a vintage 51, and two vintage Sonnets, I want to try a new out of the box Parker pen with a gold nib. I really liked the way the 51 wrote, and one of the Sonnets, they felt nearly frictionless and the way I write that's helpful. They were all Medium nibs.

 

The options for that, at the best price I can find here in Canada at the moment, are:

 

Parker 51 re-issue"next-generation" in Plum, "Deluxe" model with Fine 18k nib.

OR

Parker Sonnet Classic series Black lacquer, palladium trim, Fine 18k nib (rhodium finish).

 

The 51 is slightly more expensive, but for the purposes of this let's say they're both about $160 USD.

And they're both only available at these prices in the Fine nib, so there's that.

 

Thank you for your votes and wisdom, and scolding, and whatever else you have in store for me.

 

 

Edited by E.H. Tersono
tags, typos

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • inkstainedruth

    1

  • Pale.Ink.Tom

    3

  • TheRedBeard

    6

  • E.H. Tersono

    16

In my opinion I would not buy a new pen. The heyday of fountain pens is over, there are some good pens on the market but your money will go much further buying used.  Have you looked at the Parker 75 in sterling silver cisele? I've seen them go for as little as US$100 on a popular auction site. Parker 45's are another option; great pens and indestructible.

Children think adults have all the freedom and adults think children have
all the freedom.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New model Parker? None appeal to me. Vintage and new or in great condition, I second the 75, particularly with an unusual nib (fine seems to be the norm), a vacumatic or even something exotic like a 50; I was willing to pay a little less for a 105 but managed to find it for way less.

 

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

 

B. Russell

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To the great points from both @OCArtand @senzen:

 

I think I'm a little weary of the used pen market now after my first three pre-owned Parkers, from three different reputable online shops, all of which were sold as restored or New Old Stock, all claiming to write beautifully, all ended up having serious issues that required returning them. It's making me think that for the prices that older pens from reputable shops are selling for, I'd be better off getting a new one, at the very least to see what a new in box pen today is like. 

 

As you say, I might end up noticing the serious decline in quality in newer production, and going right back to the old ones. It's like each purchase is a lesson, and the cost of the lesson is return shipping!

 

It's really too bad there isn't a functioning market here, because there's a real lack of a great place with reliable sellers and a good community to keep track of reputation and experiences.

 

Another problem of course is being in Canada. When I buy a used pen from the US I pay maybe $40 in duty, plus international shipping. The selection here is just slimmer.

 

I will certainly look at the 75, and see if I can find a model anywhere in country!

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NG51 or modern Sonnet for $160 are waste of money... 

I would not buy any modern Parker nowadays. 

And I agree with OCArt regarding Parker 75: if you make some efforts for searching and spend certain time then for $160 you may realistically buy a beautiful P75 with F or M nib in either mint or near mint condition, and P75 is undoubtedly  much superior pen to Sonnet and a poor NG51 :) 

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

NG51 or modern Sonnet for $160 are waste of money... 

I would not buy any modern Parker nowadays. 

And I agree with OCArt regarding Parker 75: if you make some efforts for searching and spend certain time then for $160 you may realistically buy a beautiful P75 with F or M nib in either mint or near mint condition, and P75 is undoubtedly  much superior pen to Sonnet and a poor NG51 :) 

 

Thank you - any sources other than eBay? I just don't trust any of the sellers there, and with international shipping + duty it's very expensive to buy there for me.

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to keep score: The current vote tally is 100% in favour of a Parker 75 instead!

 

The only ones I see right now for sale in Canada at the moment are all $300 or more.... so I'm going to keep looking though.

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, E.H. Tersono said:

 

Thank you - any sources other than eBay? I just don't trust any of the sellers there, and with international shipping + duty it's very expensive to buy there for me.

Ah, sorry, but I'm on the other side of the pond...

Here in the UK I usually buy my Parkers either on eBay or from private collectors, and occasionally at LPS.

Of course, eBay is not a perfect place  but it is still possible to find honest and trustworthy sellers there. 

And I perfectly understand you on taxes/duties matter, as I buy from the US from time to time...

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, E.H. Tersono said:

Just to keep score: The current vote tally is 100% in favour of a Parker 75 instead!

 

The only ones I see right now for sale in Canada at the moment are all $300 or more.... so I'm going to keep looking though.

Be patient :) 

In my experience and according to opinion of other Parker collectors, P75 perhaps the easiest target among vintage Parkers you still can find in NOS or mint condition at reasonable price. 

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone have thoughts on this set of fountain pen and ballpoint for $200 CAD (180 + 20 shipping), which is about $160 USD? I don't need or want a ballpoint, but it's a set, and the least expensive in Canada on there now. (Acknowledging that no one can make decisions for me regarding such things... and I am in the end responsible for it should I roll the dice and order from eBay)

 

 

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, E.H. Tersono said:

Anyone have thoughts on this set of fountain pen and ballpoint for $200 CAD (180 + 20 shipping), which is about $160 USD? I don't need or want a ballpoint, but it's a set, and the least expensive in Canada on there now. (Acknowledging that no one can make decisions for me regarding such things... and I am in the end responsible for it should I roll the dice and order from eBay)

 

 

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-10.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It is Parker 75 not Premier.

It seems it has a crack on a cap's ring... or is it just some reflection on a photo? 

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

It is Parker 75 not Premier.

It seems it has a crack on a cap's ring... or is it just some reflection on a photo? 

 

I wondered about that - the band where it says Parker is how you can tell, right?

 

And I too thought that was a crack, but see that the way it runs down the whole thing reveals it's a reflection - that seems to happen all the time in these photos.

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, E.H. Tersono said:

 

I wondered about that - the band where it says Parker is how you can tell, right?

 

And I too thought that was a crack, but see that the way it runs down the whole thing reveals it's a reflection - that seems to happen all the time in these photos.

You can easily tell 75 from Premier:

https://parkerpens.net/parker75.html

 

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, E.H. Tersono said:

Thank you - any sources other than eBay? I just don't trust any of the sellers there, and with international shipping + duty it's very expensive to buy there for me

 

It's of course entirely up to you what you buy with your hard-earned, but with your budget a Parker 75 Cicele with gold nib in good condition is definitely a possibility.  I'm also wary of buying on e-bay.  I take more risks on pens that are not faked, but I am very careful with pens such as the Parker 75.  I paid a little extra (say 10% over what it would have cost to buy from a random seller) from a UK pen shop with a good ebay rating and solid reputation.  With shipping it still cost me less than half of a new Parker Sonnet Cicele and, in my view, looks much better.  I also like the genuine patina.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TheRedBeard said:

You can easily tell 75 from Premier:

https://parkerpens.net/parker75.html

 

 

I did look at the site to check, it wasn't totally clear to me what the defining features are between them as the site doesn't show the black 75 at all. I've noticed that a shop here in Canada keeps calling them "Parker 75 Premier" which is the same thing this listing is doing... I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean!

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, austollie said:

 

It's of course entirely up to you what you buy with your hard-earned, but with your budget a Parker 75 Cicele with gold nib in good condition is definitely a possibility.  I'm also wary of buying on e-bay.  I take more risks on pens that are not faked, but I am very careful with pens such as the Parker 75.  I paid a little extra (say 10% over what it would have cost to buy from a random seller) from a UK pen shop with a good ebay rating and solid reputation.  With shipping it still cost me less than half of a new Parker Sonnet Cicele and, in my view, looks much better.  I also like the genuine patina.

 

I'm glad to hear about a positive example of finding one this way! The more pens I order, try, and have to return for flaws or blatant misinformation in the listing, the more I want to go to a pen show so I can look at and try writing with many pens before buying.

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Though it's not a 75, I like the look of this pen. But the nib looks odd to me, and any hint of that makes me skeptical after recent experiences

 

It's listed as a NOS "Sonnet Premier" for about $165 USD ($150 + $15 shipping). But no converter, which I just find annoying at this point.

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

See my PIF post for free ink (Canada).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, E.H. Tersono said:

 

I did look at the site to check, it wasn't totally clear to me what the defining features are between them as the site doesn't show the black 75 at all. I've noticed that a shop here in Canada keeps calling them "Parker 75 Premier" which is the same thing this listing is doing... I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean!

Main visible differences are in tassies, cap band and nib adjusting ring. 

Look at here:

https://parkerpens.net/premier.html

 

All the best is only beginning now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, E.H. Tersono said:

 

Thank you - any sources other than eBay? I just don't trust any of the sellers there, and with international shipping + duty it's very expensive to buy there for me.

While being burned a couple of times, I have had good experiences for the most part on eBay.  

Depending on where you live, there may also be estate sales or antique malls to check out (my best deal on a 51 was at an estate sale a few years ago -- a Forest Green 51 Aerometric for $2 US, plus another 20 bucks for a little bit of nib work to make the EF nib not scratchy).  

You may have to be willing to take car trips to go far afield.  And you may or may not find anything.  I often don't.  But if you don't look, you certainly won't.  

I see them as adventures, as days out.  If I find anything, that's just a bonus.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share








×
×
  • Create New...