Montblanc "architect" nibs

mke

I have learnt that Montblanc nibs from the 1970s-1990s have an architect nib-like behavior.

Apparently, other companies didn't use such nibs. May I ask, if someone knows "why"? Was that considered something one needed to have?

Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoType

• Pen Nut

• stoen

• bunnspecial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every Montblanc EF nib I have owned has what appears to be an Architect type grind. The tipping very much has a "wedge" shape, and in fact it's distinctive enough that I feel comfortable assigning the EF designation to an unknown nib if I see that grind.

With that said, I do not exactly see architect-like behavior in the ones I've used. Here is an EF 149 in my pocket. I've owned a variety of 2-digit MBs that have this also, and have a 221 that is marked EF on the box now.

This is a terrible set of photos. Since moving last year, I haven't been able to set up a proper studio or something even remotely resembling one. I use to routinely photograph clear, in focus, and well lit items much smaller than nib tipping, but in particular lack the lighting I need to do so successfully now.

This particular paper is in the good but not outstanding category, and I used it because I had it handy. It does not bleed or ghost, and does not feather noticeably but pens do seem to write a tiny bit wider on it than they do on Rhodia, which is my reference paper. With that said, I have not seen line variation on it either.

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.b945c7a46c68fd458c4be0d8b248ea2d.jpegIMG_0849.thumb.jpeg.18d8e34ed878a86a327d28d855097583.jpegIMG_0850.thumb.jpeg.1e7535b01cb0c91425dc4e81147c3e54.jpegIMG_0851.thumb.jpeg.cbb97955a40a857e8e1565f9a47685c3.jpeg

I have a 146g (celluloid) which seems to have architect mannerisms.

Yet, looking at it, under a loupe, it appears to be a standard F.

Could just be wishful thinking, on my behalf - but, I enjoy using it.

Best wishes, CS

Many nibs from this era have a somewhat architect-y manner, as CS388 also wrote.

Those nibs were not accentuated architect nibs with the respective line variations (fine line vertically and distinctly wider in horizontal strokes), but the feeling reminds often that of an architect nib, being shaped more like a wedge. I have been looking through dozens of MB 146 and 149 (replacement) nibs recently with a collector to find a suitable nib for grinding a stub/italic (extra) fine, so we sorted those wedge shaped nibs out (why start with a wedge if you can find a ball shaped one?), and there were many of those wedge shaped ones.

But then again, many earlier wide nibs across all brand dids not have the blob of tipping, as long as they were not "Kugel" (= ball) nibs but had a stubbish character. 

My early seventies’ 149 18C EF has this wedge type grinding and a slightly “architect” behavior. I’ve never considered this feature seriously, because it was a matter of nuance - horizontal lines (perpendicular to the slit) are thicker but not substantially. The lines in the direction of the slit can be also slightly varied by pressure. The nib isn’t really flex, it’s kind of springy, though.

Yet it gives the writing experience some excitement.

As in my tester set, etched on the underside showing what profiles are available on what size nibs. Please bear in mind that this is a relatively modern test set.

mb nibs.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

........and the top side on the nibs

mb nibs 1.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I only have one current model MB EF nib.  With the feed facing the floor the East/West sides of the nib are tall and flat; like an architect nib.  The North/South edge of the nib, which meets the page,  is rounded; unlike an architect grind, which is straight like a knife edge.

Looks somewhat like an architect nib, but writes like a normal EF.

Add lightness and simplicate.

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I only have one current model MB EF nib.  With the feed facing the floor the East/West sides of the nib are tall and flat; like an architect nib.  The North/South edge of the nib, which meets the page,  is rounded; unlike an architect grind, which is straight like a knife edge.

Looks somewhat like an architect nib, but writes like a normal EF.

I've never actually used a "true" architect nib, but are all cut straight in the north/south dimension like an italic, or do some have more of a CI or stub type grind? I've heard true architects described as being very temperamental.

I should have one ground, but don't know what pen I'd have it done on. TBH, I rotate my pens such that stubs and oblique stubs in particular tend to give me wide horizontals and narrow verticals anyway. This is especially true with obliques in a sort of twisted way because I also tend to have enough natural slant in my writing that my "verticals" are actually "diagonals." Yes, my writing is a mess.

I don't have one either.  Rather than 'temperamental' my understanding is that they are exacting in the same way a sharp italic is, but on a different axis.  Pablo at FPnibs has a video at the bottom of the Regrinding page showing how to measure the angle at which on holds ones pen, so that the nib can be ground to match.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

I don't have one either.  Rather than 'temperamental' my understanding is that they are exacting in the same way a sharp italic is, but on a different axis.  Pablo at FPnibs has a video at the bottom of the Regrinding page showing how to measure the angle at which on holds ones pen, so that the nib can be ground to match.

I visualise the architect nib as it being squashed from East to West where an italic has been squashed from North to South......I think.

None. This is though.

Oddly can't post the picture due to a 15kb limit on picture size ?

Zoom in on this. Apologies for the size

Architect.jpg

6 hours ago, Pen Nut said:

Zoom in on this. Apologies for the size

Architect.jpg

Interesting...The nib has a kind of oval shape nib point...in 1980´s years I had some Germany scholar Staedtler pens made with this kind of nib point, the pen was cartridge filler and not easy to write with...best regards.

Hello,

here’s my pen’s “slightly architect” grind EF nib tip.

Please, pardon this rather inprecise cellphone photo.

It’s an early seventies tri-color 18C nib. Please, observe the ebonite split-feed, uncommon for that production period.

6B2391AF-B2A3-4206-8D4D-743689948BF0.jpeg.ccfb2c53d204394871a074ae8b8b0962.jpeg

04F2125C-E9C5-4FEB-AB2C-6EB24AD518A9.jpeg.8dcf7f3539ec1f541714b65e3ad79c14.jpeg

E7ADA7E1-3626-4BCB-9F02-ADE3D07829BD.jpeg.66e8eabae7c422d20b2bf0affefaa746.jpeg

🙂

On 10/17/2021 at 11:18 PM, Pen Nut said:

I visualise the architect nib as it being squashed from East to West where an italic has been squashed from North to South......I think.

Yes.  And like an italic it will behave nicely when held square to the page.  Photos and a review of a grind can be found here.

6 hours ago, stoen said:

Hello,

here’s my pen’s “slightly architect” grind EF nib tip.

Please, pardon this rather inprecise cellphone photo.

It’s an early seventies tri-color 18C nib. Please, observe the ebonite split-feed, uncommon for that production period.

6B2391AF-B2A3-4206-8D4D-743689948BF0.jpeg.ccfb2c53d204394871a074ae8b8b0962.jpeg

04F2125C-E9C5-4FEB-AB2C-6EB24AD518A9.jpeg.8dcf7f3539ec1f541714b65e3ad79c14.jpeg

E7ADA7E1-3626-4BCB-9F02-ADE3D07829BD.jpeg.66e8eabae7c422d20b2bf0affefaa746.jpeg

🙂

stoen, please allow me to thank and congratulate you on this excellent photography, which is more than a sight better than I could accomplish with my iPhone (which is sadly lacking a macro lens or any other camera appurtenance).

I put my nose in this thread to share some photographs of Montblanc nibs. Because of the way they write, they can be categorized in the group of "architect" nibs. After the photographs I have included an image with the stroke that the three nibs in question release.

The first set of photographs refers to an EF nib, originally mounted on a 1978 Meisterstück149. Note that the image of this nib is taken at a higher magnification than the following.

large.450310464_MontblancMeisterstck149EF_1978.jpg.5c32944188154d3e8bdb37dfe87e9d2c.jpg

Another 149 EF follows, from the late 1980s. The original ebonite feeder was replaced with a plastic one during a service.

large.663771129_MontblancMeisterstck149EFca_1989.jpg.0f0e974673c79d5c716c7a1332efca13.jpg

Finally, the nib of my Montblanc WE Hemingway, from 1992.

large.1168313673_MontblancHemingwaynib1992.jpg.cdc3187b61bbab8979709d44bec24d62.jpg

Here is an image of the strokes that the three nibs let down. 

large.Strokes.jpg.03162ce0a16811881e40adf0fe866d2f.jpg

I don't know if the so-called "architect grind", which results in a larger horizontal stroke than the vertical one, is something to be pursued or has any beauty of its own. What is certain is that, for those who have used the extra-fine and fine nibs of the Meisterstück pens for some time, this type of grind can become habitual and appreciated for its characteristics.

Thank you for the many interesting comments.

Is there any way to check if a MB149 nib is EF or F or M?