Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Lamy 2000 question, replace nib, tune nib or buy a new one?

bolaberlim

Hi All, I got a Fine Lamy 2000, it's a bit on the scratchy side in the right to left up to down stroke, this one ->  /   . On a loupe the right tine seems a bit down. The thickness is a bit fine to my taste, it's wet but not very thick line. My question is should I tune it, replace the nib by a medium nib or simply buy a new pen with a medium nib and keep the fine as a second option? I think a well tuned medium would suit me better, but if this Fine was well tuned I would not be unhappy with it- in fact I'm happy with it right now, but I feel it could be way better. Anyone had the same or similar experience ? I'm in Europe- Portugal so my nib tuning options are kind of limited as far as I know?, I'm not sure I'm capable of tuning this without ruining it, so better leave it to an expert. 

From a cost standpoint tuning is the best option, but am I spending money and still not be completely satisfied? Thoughts are welcome, as reference for writing style my favorite writers are a pilot VP with a medium nib and a Parker 51 aeromatic that I think it's a medium as well, certainly writes like one. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bolaberlim

• gyasko

• tim77

• maclink

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you judge a nib unless it is properly tuned?  By all means tune it.  Then decide.

The 2000 is pretty well designed and documented, so I'd be tempted to try disassembly.  Sometimes a slightly imperfect assembly puts enough uneven pressure on the nib to misalign it, and careful reassembly is all that's needed.  No bending required.

bolaberlim
9 minutes ago, tim77 said:

The 2000 is pretty well designed and documented, so I'd be tempted to try disassembly.  Sometimes a slightly imperfect assembly puts enough uneven pressure on the nib to misalign it, and careful reassembly is all that's needed.  No bending required.

I can certainly try that ! Thanks

I doubt that disassembling/reassembling will work since the engineering is fabulous with little room for having anything out of alignment as can so easily be the case with other nib feed unit assemblies, but I'm more than ready to be proven wrong, so I'm curious how you get on with that. 🙂

The symptom you related is very likely secondary to the misalignment that you see.  The finer the nib, the more sensitive it is to what looks like a minor tine misalignment when inspected with a loupe.  The F nib is great when well tuned.  There are videos online on how to realign tines.  The main thing is to be gentle and patient.  It's better to attempt 5 times before it's finally OK than to try for one adjustment that overshoots the mark or compromises the nib.

The last Lamy 2000 nib I got, an EF, had a slight misalignment which I quickly corrected.  The tines were surprisingly 'amenable to suggestion' in that it took just one attempt at adjusting to get it right.  When properly aligned, writing was smoother than before and as a consolation, it put down a noticeably thicker line.  

The F nibs are also ink sensitive, so I'd try it with various inks to find a suitable match.

4 hours ago, maclink said:

The F nibs are also ink sensitive, so I'd try it with various inks to find a suitable match.

I haven't found that to be the case, and I've had several of the pens over the last 25-30 years.  I will agree that a slight misalignment can make a big difference when corrected.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Update: disassembling didn't work. I did try to even out the tines and it's much better. I think I'll leave it be for now, on some papers it writes smoothly and lays a thicker line( Muji Paper, Claire Fontaine), on others it has a bit of feedback( MD paper) and lies a really fine line.  Overall I'm pleased with it, I think that with some more use it will only get better better over time.