Help needed! Parker 51 pencil color

MarioR81

Hey, I snatched a parker 51 pencil from a seller who advertised as its color as indian black. However I received a message saying it's actually green not black. So I opened photoshop and checked and it's actually greenish. I'm looking to make pair with my parker 51 indian black. I checked parkerpens.net and can't really see a dark green over there https://parkerpens.net/languages/parker51.html  just forest green that appears much lighter than that. Which makes me wonder if that's the actual black plastic discoloring a little bit? What do you think?

Also looking forward to polish off that tarnish on the cap. Any one has a recommendation if a 2500 grit wet sand paper would do?

Thanks in advance

parkerpencil.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarioR81

• Bill Nick

• Mr Gutsy

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect that your pen was originally India Black back when it was sold circa the 1940s/1950s

Early 51 pencils were made sometimes made from other materials other than Lucite, which often discoloured over time. (I believe that its celluloid) and eventually all pencils were made in Lucite by the launch of the aeros. I've seen it myself and own a 51 in Cedar Blue set, where the pencil is significantly lighter than the pen.

Thanks Mr. Gutsy. The seller said it's forest green so at this point I'm not 100% sure the picture is from the actual pencil. I couldn't find a single photo from a Parker forest green that is as dark as the picture above and that pencil isn't poorly lit. That pencil above is much likely to be 1948-1957 according to this link http://parker51.com/index.php/51s/pencils/

1 hour ago, MarioR81 said:

Thanks Mr. Gutsy. The seller said it's forest green so at this point I'm not 100% sure the picture is from the actual pencil. I couldn't find a single photo from a Parker forest green that is as dark as the picture above and that pencil isn't poorly lit. That pencil above is much likely to be 1948-1957 according to this link http://parker51.com/index.php/51s/pencils/

Now that you mention it - that pencil could be forest green instead of black!

Wouldn't be the first time poor lighting on Ebay or other websites leads to the buyer drawing the wrong conclusion.

As for rust under the clip - I'd start with micromesh at a higher grit and gently see if you can buff it out. I'd be worried the 2500 grit would take too much material off and leave an uneven edge - there is also the risk that the underlying steel is marred and the cap may need re-frosting.

Take the clip off to clean up the cap.  The barrels are easily swapped if the color is wrong.  

looks like a long arrow clip so would match a 1948-1949 Aerometric pen. Is there a date code on the barrel?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

22 hours ago, MarioR81 said:

looking forward to polish off that tarnish on the cap. Any one has a recommendation if a 2500 grit wet sand paper would do?

Yes, that would remove the tarnish, unfortunately it will also remove the finish of the stainless steel and will be just as obvious as the tarnish...don't do it!   Try an alcohol soaked cotton bud or piece of rag first, that should get under the clip, if that doesn't work try some metal polish.

Thanks, good idea about the micromesh or alcohol soaked. I'd have started with the 2500 wet sandpaper. Also good idea about the clip. I have restored a tarnished lamy studio but under the clip there is still some tarnish under it. Neve thought about removing it.

@FarmBoy not sure about the barrel no information was given. The seller asked if I wanted to cancel the purchase because the description was off and I accepted. The price was about $32. He has other Parker 51 pencils (including one black) but the price is higher $54, and the model is not aeromatic. So I better keep looking. Parker 51 pencils are hard to find, let alone spare parts :( locally. Cost-wise then it would be best to stick with Aeromatic Parker 51.

5 minutes ago, MarioR81 said:

Thanks, good idea about the micromesh or alcohol soaked. I'd have started with the 2500 wet sandpaper.

I did not and do not suggest micro mesh!   Unless you are able to only attack the tarnish, not the steel underneath, which is not likely, MM will polish the steel and it won't be the same as the rest of the cap.