I swear Platinum's Carbon Black ink is made from the happy tears of silk worms . . .

Tas

Just loaded it into the red Platinum Desk Pen (fine nib) that my wife kindly bought me (along with 4 Carbon Black cartridges) . . .
🥰 my goodness, what a combination.

This isn't going to end well. I can see a bottle being ordered the moment I'm down to my last cartridge.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• LizEF

• TSherbs

• AmandaW

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Tas said:

Just loaded it into the red Platinum Desk Pen (fine nib) that my wife kindly bought me (along with 4 Carbon Black cartridges) . . .
🥰 my goodness, what a combination.

This isn't going to end well. I can see a bottle being ordered the moment I'm down to my last cartridge.

Yep, a great combination it is! Experiences like this, that you cannot convey in pictures but only rave about to be solely understood by those who experienced the same in such an unassuming pen + _black_ ink. 😍

I love that phrase "the happy tears of silk worms".

There are times when you just find absolute perfect combination of pen and ink.  Sounds as if for you, Tas, it's one of those times....  (For me it was modern Quink Black in my first Parker 45, which was also my first gold nibbed pen; that combo, with the M nib on the pen, was like dancing on ice across the page.... :happycloud9:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, perfection indeed! My pen is the black one with the EF nib - it's been giving stellar service here since early 2017 with rarely a day go by without coming out to play. Maybe he deserves a red companion? They could chat to each other in slots in the pen drawer, side by side, after lights out. What would I put in one though? It can't possibly get any better than Carbon Black.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

43 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

.... Maybe he deserves a red companion? They could chat to each other in slots in the pen drawer, side by side, after lights out. 

They would need a bundling board.

This is how I feel when I use Sailor Kiwa-Guro.  I should give Carbon Black another chance--I didn't like it in two pens I tried it with.  No bottle, just a 4ml sample.  It felt kind of oily, clingy, and seemed to make the lines less well-defined.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

11 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I love that phrase "the happy tears of silk worms".

There are times when you just find absolute perfect combination of pen and ink.  Sounds as if for you, Tas, it's one of those times....  (For me it was modern Quink Black in my first Parker 45, which was also my first gold nibbed pen; that combo, with the M nib on the pen, was like dancing on ice across the page.... :happycloud9:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ooo. You know, I've never put Quink black in any of my 45s 🤔 - I'll make sure I do next fill. My black with silver cap / gold clip is having fun with Ina Ho right now and don't want to spoil the party.

11 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Yes, perfection indeed! My pen is the black one with the EF nib - it's been giving stellar service here since early 2017 with rarely a day go by without coming out to play. Maybe he deserves a red companion? They could chat to each other in slots in the pen drawer, side by side, after lights out. What would I put in one though? It can't possibly get any better than Carbon Black.

Go on. I only went for red as I seem to have far too many black pens.

10 hours ago, TSherbs said:

They would need a bundling board.

*Googles bundling board 😂

7 hours ago, Tas said:

Ooo. You know, I've never put Quink black in any of my 45s 🤔 - I'll make sure I do next fill. My black with silver cap / gold clip is having fun with Ina Ho right now and don't want to spoil the party.

Go on. I only went for red as I seem to have far too many black pens.

*Googles bundling board 😂

Returned from google search for bundling board.  Laughed myself silly. I will confess to having giant pillows between me and my hubby (he's a bed piggy), but I confess, I'm more likely to divide the inks than the bed.  I keep my inks separated (or segregated) by Axis / Allies and different book cases not just drawers.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

3 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

.  I keep my inks separated (or segregated) by Axis / Allies ...

As in the grouping of countries in WW2? Or is this a funny metaphor....?

This idea made me 😊

Yep! Carbon Black is such is silky, delightful black ink. One of my faves in pretty much any pen, but especially my broad Visconti Rembrandt :)

Looking closer I don't think the red Platinum Desk Pen (model DPQ-700A-10) or the black one (DPQ-700A-1) are actually Platinum Carbon Desk Pens which had the model name DP-800S. Some sellers are calling the 700A a carbon desk pen, some (more reputable or less confused) are calling it a desk pen with no mention of Carbon ink.

Has the real Platinum Carbon Desk Pen - which was reputed to have a special feed to cater for Platinum Carbon ink - actually gone? Is this a new model with that feature?

Perhaps someone with Japanese language skills can have a look at the Platinum website catalogues to clarify?

platinum_carbon_deskpen.thumb.jpg.06b22cd04cf67a6abd64d49467b5024f.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I've had nothing but Platinum Carbon Black in my Platinum Desk Pen since I bought the pen 4 years ago.  I use them mostly for writing on postcards and envelopes.  Although I use them at least once a week, I have never cleaned this pen.  Never had to.  At this point, not cleaning it has become a "thing."  I've never even had to floss the nib.  This ink is crazy-good.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

49 minutes ago, Bookman said:

I've had nothing but Platinum Carbon Black in my Platinum Desk Pen since I bought the pen 4 years ago.  I use them mostly for writing on postcards and envelopes.  Although I use them at least once a week, I have never cleaned this pen.  Never had to.  At this point, not cleaning it has become a "thing."  I've never even had to floss the nib.  This ink is crazy-good.

See, told you, silk worm's happy tears ☺️

• 2 weeks later...

I filled a pen with some Carbon Black a couple days ago, from a sample vial I've had for a couple years now.  I have a question about its sheen/shine vs. Sailor Kiwa Guro.  Am I correct in my assessment that while Carbon Black doesn't sheen/shine as much as Kiwa-Guro, the hue of the shine is also very slightly pale gold vs Kiwa-Guro?  Looking at my old writing and comparing both, Kiwa-Guro has a very neutral silver-almost graphite-like shine, whereas Carbon Black has a curious very slight hint of pale gold to the silvery shine.  

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”