EFNIR: Diamine Midnight

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Midnight

This is review #136 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This ink has the same strange chemically smell as Diamine Deep Dark Blue.  Cleaning was quick (though required a few extra flushes compared to less-saturated colors) and easy, with only plain water required.

Once again, I really don't have any ink close to this color.  The zoom images are pretty close, but you don't see the lighter color without looking at the ink up close - from a normal distance, it all looks like the darker colors.  The scan is fairly close for the overall impression, but the color is a little washed out (the lighter color is too pale here).  The smear in the screen capture is very close, and like the scan, the page gives the right impression (perhaps even better), but if you zoom in, the nuances seen in real life are absent.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.DiamineMidnight.jpg.cb31fae372cc9fe95cc71e67d014c34f.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.DiamineMidnightS.jpg.36786ad002f957496e2a9031d8617bbf.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.DiamineMidnightZ.jpg.e2962fde01dd18412a39fdbfae177d86.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.DiamineMidnightAP.jpg.69c70a51c95a8d6255cb8f266265425e.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Diamine Deep Dark Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

• Daneaxe

This is one of my go-to inks when I'm not in the mood to fuss, fiddle, or otherwise fret about What Color.  Makes a good testing ink, too.

I should have thought of loading it last night, when furiously scribbling notes for a novel re-write.  Instead I picked a turquoise ink from a sample vial and spent half the night coaxing it to write.

Patience?  Who, me?  Thanks for the review!  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Nice review of a nice colour (IMO), maybe so because what I see on my screen is a really dark blue and/or blue-black. My bottle (years old) is a lot lighter, even out of broad nibs. I used to use it a lot. Nowadays less so. The leaning towards red is okay but the whole thing is -- however dark -- still too grey. I like my blue-blacks blacker but my blue-greys lighter.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

29 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

This is one of my go-to inks when I'm not in the mood to fuss, fiddle, or otherwise fret about What Color.  Makes a good testing ink, too.

I should have thought of loading it last night, when furiously scribbling notes for a novel re-write.  Instead I picked a turquoise ink from a sample vial and spent half the night coaxing it to write.

Patience?  Who, me?  Thanks for the review!  

:)  You're very welcome!  Thanks for the fun story.  Hope you managed to get your notes done despite the uncooperative ink.

9 minutes ago, lapis said:

Nice review of a nice colour (IMO), maybe so because what I see on my screen is a really dark blue and/or blue-black.

Thank you!  I wouldn't classify this as blue-black - there isn't really any of the muted-ness that black brings; it's just a dark blue.

10 minutes ago, lapis said:

My bottle (years old) is a lot lighter, even out of broad nibs.

Interesting.  I would expect that from a dry nib.  But this is why I do these reviews - once you hit the extremes (in size or flow), inks start to look different!

11 minutes ago, lapis said:

The leaning towards red is okay but the whole thing is -- however dark -- still too grey. I like my blue-blacks blacker but my blue-greys lighter.

Interesting.  I don't remember thinking of it as grey-ish, but then (1) see above, and (2) I imagine one's comparison inks make a huge difference, and my personal preference is for the murk, so what others see as a little murky might look bright and flashy to me! :D

Too dark for me, and the base colour's not interesting enough for me to want to play with, but thank you so much as always for an excellent review @LizEF :)

57 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Too dark for me, and the base colour's not interesting enough for me to want to play with, but thank you so much as always for an excellent review @LizEF :)

:) You're very welcome!  And thanks!

Nice colour @LizEF and great job as usual with sentient mushrooms....  I see Makhabesh and Quin are stuck in the path, chatting, wohin?  ;)

@Sailor KenshinI use brighter inks for edit, nowadays, I use Baystate Blue nowadays.....the colour pops out the page....

21 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Nice colour @LizEF and great job as usual with sentient mushrooms....  I see Makhabesh and Quin are stuck in the path, chatting, wohin?  ;)

@Sailor KenshinI use brighter inks for edit, nowadays, I use Baystate Blue nowadays.....the colour pops out the page....

I would use something bright for that, too,  but these were just scribbled notes.

20 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Nice colour @LizEF and great job as usual with sentient mushrooms....

:) Thanks!

20 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I see Makhabesh and Quin are stuck in the path, chatting, wohin?  ;)

Yes, I'm afraid we're in a "getting there" sequence. :)  Just skipping straight to events at the palace seems to jerky... :unsure:

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

:) Thanks!

Yes, I'm afraid we're in a "getting there" sequence. :)  Just skipping straight to events at the palace seems to jerky... :unsure:

Right now, it feels as if they have no mission and just hunting for mushrooms to make an omelette/ beef stroganoff and not on a mission :D So you lose your viewer/reader. And we don't want that do we? 😇If I may, focus on action that drives the plot.  Ask yourself the questions: Why do they have to go through this path to the forest? Why mushrooms? Why goat? Will it pay off later? Will there be sentient mushrooms helping them or a special potion that will help them later on?  

P.S. I admire your courage to write a story on the fly, though ink reviews. I won't dare it.. Bravo :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I would use something bright for that, too,  but these were just scribbled notes.

I've noticed any colour (even black) goes besides the printed word.... :)

23 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Right now, it feels as if they have no mission and just hunting for mushrooms to make an omelette/ beef stroganoff and not on a mission :D So you lose your viewer/reader. And we don't want that do we? 😇If I may, focus on action that drives the plot.  Ask yourself the questions: Why do they have to go through this path to the forest? Why mushrooms? Why goat? Will it pay off later? Will there be sentient mushrooms helping them or a special potion that will help them later on?

Thanks!  I'll try to abstract the questions for future scenes.  I suppose I'm thinking in novel mode, just with a week between every 2-3 sentences, and that doesn't always work.  I'll ponder.  Since I have no idea where we're going, it's kinda hard to plan in advance and make every word count.  Mostly, I'm just having fun. :D

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thanks!  I'll try to abstract the questions for future scenes.  I suppose I'm thinking in novel mode, just with a week between every 2-3 sentences, and that doesn't always work.  I'll ponder.  Since I have no idea where we're going, it's kinda hard to plan in advance and make every word count.  Mostly, I'm just having fun. :D

That's the most important thing... Having fun :)

Nice review. Midnight is currently my favourite blue. I think it's a good robust ink, dark enough to stand off the page well, but without leaning heavily toward purple or teal, as a lot of others seem to.

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

Nice review. Midnight is currently my favourite blue. I think it's a good robust ink, dark enough to stand off the page well, but without leaning heavily toward purple or teal, as a lot of others seem to.

Thank you! :)  That's a good description of Midnight on the page.

I've got a 30ml bottle of Midnight, but haven't used it much beyond swab and marking the bottle. Hmm... Perhaps I should ink up a pen and use it properly - seems like I'm the victim of the "luxury problem" of having more ink than can have inked at the same time. "Oh no! Whatever shall I do?!?"
;)
Thanks for the review and the 'reminder' of what I got

Stay safe,
Daneaxe

4 minutes ago, Daneaxe said:

I've got a 30ml bottle of Midnight, but haven't used it much beyond swab and marking the bottle. Hmm... Perhaps I should ink up a pen and use it properly - seems like I'm the victim of the "luxury problem" of having more ink than can have inked at the same time. "Oh no! Whatever shall I do?!?"
;)

Stay safe,
Daneaxe

Buy more pens?  😁

1 minute ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Buy more pens?  😁

Yes, just made an order for two more pens, a UK dealer had 15% off Sailor pens. Got a 1911 heading my way - Yay!

:D
But then I ordered my first real bottle of Iroshizuku at the same time. #peninkproblems
;)

35 minutes ago, Daneaxe said:

"Oh no! Whatever shall I do?!?"

:D  I believe @Sailor Kenshin gave the only answer!  I suppose you could also write more, so that you swap inks more often, but that really doesn't solve the imbalance between pen-count and ink-count... ;)

36 minutes ago, Daneaxe said:

You're very welcome!