Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Funny, but the book didn't particularly wow me.  Maybe I was too old when I read it, but it came across to me as a picture book for adults which *pretended* to be a kids' book.  And I suspect I might not have liked it as a child, either (I read the "Oz" books, a lot of Doctor Seuss, and Nancy Drew, and and action-adventure stuff like The Three Musketeers and pretty much every Walter Farley book I could get my hands on, and when I was a bit older I read SF and fantasy stuff like Tolkein and Madeleine L'Engle and the John Christopher "Tripod" series.  And I remember my mom saying once how appalled she was by some of the Dr. Suess books because there was so little actual CONTENT to some of them (i.e., maybe a dozen words per page type of thing).  And because my mom liked (and wrote) mysteries, I got hooked on Agatha Christie at a fairly early age -- even though SHE didn't like those.  (When I was older, Mom got me hooked on Dick Francis and on the "Brother Cadfael" mysteries.)

Not familiar with the musical, but there is a really dorky song that the Mark-Almond Band did about the story -- it was a bonus track on the "Best of" CD I picked up a few years ago, mostly to get a song from the _Mark-Almond '73_ album which I had as a cassette tape (the "Best of" was less expensive as a CD than _M-A '73_ was for some reason).

So I would have totally avoided Encree du Desert, except for the fact that I ran across the bottle of it a couple of weeks ago at that estate sale.  And other than it seeming to be a really wet ink -- too wet for the IM nib in that  No Nonsense, I'm liking the color WAY more than I had expected.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• inkstainedruth

• Karmachanic

• jandrew

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Funny, but the book didn't particularly wow me.  Maybe I was too old when I read it, but it came across to me as a picture book for adults which *pretended* to be a kids' book.

I think it is neither a picture book for adults, nor a kids book.  I find many books should have wider audiences than is indicated by their labels.

I find Le Petit Prince moving, and wise, and charming; poignant in its relationships but pointed in its critiques.  I like other Saint-Exupéry as well.  I do believe P't Prince is slightly better in the original French than in English, but that the English version is quite true to the tone and meaning of the book as written. I haven't read any of the other translations.

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Mom got me hooked on Dick Francis

I got hooked on him as a teenager, too.  And Len Deighton, but I don't read many detective or spy novels any more.  I'm still pretty eclectic, though. One of the things I miss in Covidland is browsing through the new picture books in the Juvenile Easy section of the library.  

Festina lente

Optimism kills

inkstainedruth
On 10/23/2021 at 4:35 PM, essayfaire said:

One of the things I miss in Covidland is browsing through the new picture books in the Juvenile Easy section of the library.  

Recently I picked up (cheap on eBay) a book I had originally read as a kid but didn't realize was a "kids' book" until I found it working in my local library as a teenager, and reshelving stuff.  The book is Petronella, and was written by Jay Williams.  I had originally read the story in some magazine my grandmother got (Ladies' Home Journal, maybe) and it's just delightful.

The premise is that it's a take on the old trope of the boy marrying the princess he's rescued.  Only in this case, it's the *princess* doing the "rescuing" -- only to discover that the prince she's rescued maybe wasn't worth it....  And the "villain" isn't really one after all....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."