Funny, but the book didn't particularly wow me.  Maybe I was too old when I read it, but it came across to me as a picture book for adults which *pretended* to be a kids' book.  And I suspect I might not have liked it as a child, either (I read the "Oz" books, a lot of Doctor Seuss, and Nancy Drew, and and action-adventure stuff like The Three Musketeers and pretty much every Walter Farley book I could get my hands on, and when I was a bit older I read SF and fantasy stuff like Tolkein and Madeleine L'Engle and the John Christopher "Tripod" series.  And I remember my mom saying once how appalled she was by some of the Dr. Suess books because there was so little actual CONTENT to some of them (i.e., maybe a dozen words per page type of thing).  And because my mom liked (and wrote) mysteries, I got hooked on Agatha Christie at a fairly early age -- even though SHE didn't like those.  (When I was older, Mom got me hooked on Dick Francis and on the "Brother Cadfael" mysteries.)

Not familiar with the musical, but there is a really dorky song that the Mark-Almond Band did about the story -- it was a bonus track on the "Best of" CD I picked up a few years ago, mostly to get a song from the _Mark-Almond '73_ album which I had as a cassette tape (the "Best of" was less expensive as a CD than _M-A '73_ was for some reason).

So I would have totally avoided Encree du Desert, except for the fact that I ran across the bottle of it a couple of weeks ago at that estate sale.  And other than it seeming to be a really wet ink -- too wet for the IM nib in that  No Nonsense, I'm liking the color WAY more than I had expected.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• The Mustard

• pgcauk

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Funny, but the book didn't particularly wow me.  Maybe I was too old when I read it, but it came across to me as a picture book for adults which *pretended* to be a kids' book.

I think it is neither a picture book for adults, nor a kids book.  I find many books should have wider audiences than is indicated by their labels.

I find Le Petit Prince moving, and wise, and charming; poignant in its relationships but pointed in its critiques.  I like other Saint-Exupéry as well.  I do believe P't Prince is slightly better in the original French than in English, but that the English version is quite true to the tone and meaning of the book as written. I haven't read any of the other translations.

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

Mom got me hooked on Dick Francis

I got hooked on him as a teenager, too.  And Len Deighton, but I don't read many detective or spy novels any more.  I'm still pretty eclectic, though. One of the things I miss in Covidland is browsing through the new picture books in the Juvenile Easy section of the library.  

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 10/23/2021 at 4:35 PM, essayfaire said:

One of the things I miss in Covidland is browsing through the new picture books in the Juvenile Easy section of the library.  

Recently I picked up (cheap on eBay) a book I had originally read as a kid but didn't realize was a "kids' book" until I found it working in my local library as a teenager, and reshelving stuff.  The book is Petronella, and was written by Jay Williams.  I had originally read the story in some magazine my grandmother got (Ladies' Home Journal, maybe) and it's just delightful.

The premise is that it's a take on the old trope of the boy marrying the princess he's rescued.  Only in this case, it's the *princess* doing the "rescuing" -- only to discover that the prince she's rescued maybe wasn't worth it....  And the "villain" isn't really one after all....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, pgcauk said:

This one keeps catching my eye:

Taccia Ukiyo-e Hokusai Benitsuchi - Red Earth

Ooh, that looks promising!  I will keep that in my list of "samples to throw in to qualify for free shipping!"  I like the Taccia inks in general, and some of the Ukiyo-es are spectacular.

Festina lente

Here are two more:

Mont Blanc St. Exupery and MB Carlo Coloddi, which seems very close to the Edelstein Golden Beryl but without the shimmer.  I very much like the Saint-Exupéry.

318A1BE3-E1ED-48A2-B91B-8CE718513AAC.jpeg

942CF4F3-CCA9-49AF-9FE7-12E24200BE35.jpeg

Festina lente

@essayfaire I’m not entirely convinced that your Hugo is the right ink, it might be the light in which the photograph was taken or my iPad screen of course but it looks too pink to me - could this be the Petit Prince ink maybe? Just a thought! 

I'll add Montblanc Toffee Brown to the list. It's a lovely shade of medium brown leaning red and it shades nicely! Very good flow and lubrication is just right. My Lamy 2000 went from a pen I was so-so on, to one that became part of my daily rotation with Toffee Brown in it.

Meanwhile, that Taccia Hokusai-benitsuchi is wonderful! Its more a red-orange than a reddish-brown, but is gorgeous either way. It's easily a top-three favorite ink for me. 

2 hours ago, The Mustard said:

could this be the Petit Prince ink maybe?

Maybe...?  The sample label was attached at the side, and some other labels had slid about in the customs fiasco which involved a little bit of ink leakage, so it is possible that this label migrated from one of my as-yet-unidentifiable sample bottles.  The pinkish tinge is not the lighting, but is actually present in the ink.  

What color should it look like?

24 minutes ago, g33klibrarian said:

I'll add Montblanc Toffee Brown to the list.

I think that's in the sample queue!

Festina lente

Wow, Misfit, you managed to take an acceptable image of Herbin's Rusty Anchor! I didn't know that was possible - I've been trying for years but both scanner and camera only ever capture bubblegum!

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Another possible option is the Diamine Guitar series Cherry Sunburst. 

I have Cherry Sunburst; I love Cherry Sunburst.

Festina lente

Thank you @pgcauk maybe I succeeded because I wasn’t trying to capture the J Herbin ink.  It was a bonus. 

Still exciting to know it was a good capture of that ink. It deserves better than it sometimes gets in reactions.

Posted Image

22 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Here's another one.  @TheMustard, does this look right?

IMG_0946.JPG

Yes @essayfaire I think you've nailed that one as MB Toffee Brown!