Brownish red inks as I try to find the right one for a particular pen.  Not so scientific, so feel free to move this thread if another forum is more appropriate.  

N.B. I think the Hopjesbruin and the Cognac are doppelgängers.  I'm leaning towards one of the two of the inks tested here, though I do like the Oster.

F4E85355-0696-4110-AB3C-AE5624399CEA.jpeg

4EC250F1-2107-48B4-8A2E-192C0427B55D.jpeg

40E80D1F-4CF4-4A66-B38F-0FE00A5C35E3.jpeg

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• The Mustard

• pgcauk

• Misfit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brick Red?

Kobe #39

Maruzren Nihonbashi Renga

Diamine Ancient Copper

Monteverde Copper Noir

Akkerman Steenrood

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Brick Red?

Brownish red, of which brick would be one type.  Would have tried Steenrood (as I'd love an Akkerman bottle but the ink inside has to fill a hole in my ink collection) but couldn't get my hands on a sample.  Copper Noir is a good color, but a bit wet.  Maybe I should have called the thread reddish brown...  I like Diamine Guitar Cherry Sunburst and have a pen inked with that but for this one I was looking for something a bit - browner?  

Festina lente

Nice comparison.  Thanks for sharing them.  Astorquiza Rot looks a lot redder than I remember, but then I think it may vary by age and nib size.

Gvfc Hazelnut brown might be of interest, leans redder than the cognac.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

Gvfc Hazelnut brown might be of interest, leans redder than the cognac.

I actually love that one!  I have it in cartridges... but I need an ink for a piston filler. Irony.

Festina lente

4 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I actually love that one!  I have it in cartridges... but I need an ink for a piston filler. Irony.

Well, it does come in bottles too :)

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

DeA Ebony? Might be more of a pinkish-brown though.

FPN Galileo Manuscript? Still don't know if it's the "leaning" or my eyes. Might also have to do with the fact that it is a Noodler's, meaning permanent distortion as re bucket of the day.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• PenBBS 278 Lhasa City - I got it recently and it has quickly become one of my favorite writing colors. Similar to the dark saffron color of the Dalai Lama's robe. Very laid back - almost a grey component to the color. Not many photos/scans online - let me know and I can try to get a good photo of a sample.
  • PenBBS 135 Beijing - Looks wonderful online - I'm always on the verge of adding it to my cart when I order PenBBS ink. More brown or more red? I'm not sure. Take a look at @crahptacular's beautiful review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328546-penbbs-135-–-beijing/ 
  • Maroons! I use Robert Oster Maroon 1789 every so often for calligraphy and it's a wonderfully rich color.
  • Franklin Christoph Terra Firma looks like it could be promising.

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:
  • PenBBS 278 Lhasa City - I got it recently and it has quickly become one of my favorite writing colors. Similar to the dark saffron color of the Dalai Lama's robe. Very laid back - almost a grey component to the color. Not many photos/scans online - let me know and I can try to get a good photo of a sample.
  • PenBBS 135 Beijing - Looks wonderful online - I'm always on the verge of adding it to my cart when I order PenBBS ink. More brown or more red? I'm not sure. Take a look at @crahptacular's beautiful review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/328546-penbbs-135-–-beijing/ 
  • Maroons! I use Robert Oster Maroon 1789 every so often for calligraphy and it's a wonderfully rich color.
  • Franklin Christoph Terra Firma looks like it could be promising.

Maroons, I have!  Haven't seen the 135 Beijing.  Herbin Terre de Feu I could have included too, but it is too watery for my preferences - I like my inks fairly saturated.

Festina lente

6 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Kyoto Bengarario

Kyo no oto Ochiguriiro

I hadn't thought of the ochiguriiro as on my computer's screen it looks more tan, but now on some of the other sites I see it looks much more like the reddish browns/brownish reds.  Thanks.  I will track down samples of these.

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...

More Garuda Root - looks a bit different here.  Sorry that I can't rotate it better.  I know how to turn a piece of paper but not always how to digitally upload a rotated photo.

EE5E1507-9DFC-494A-A575-820C9A6C7FFD.jpeg

Festina lente

12 hours ago, The Mustard said:

It’s a limited edition ink, but still available in some places, how about MB’s Homage to Hadrian, Rosso Antico @essayfaire?

Okay, I'm intrigued.  May have to search for a sample.  MB blue-black was my only ink for years, back when I only had a couple pens; it always behaved well.

Festina lente

I don't normally like red-browns or brownish reds.  But recently I picked up a bottle of MB Antoine de Saint-Exupery Encree du Desert (from the "Little Prince" collection) and tossed it into the Sheaffer No-Nonsense with the IM nib I picked up on the way to the Chicago Pen Show (I figured a brown ink was safe because I wasn't 100% sure I got the pen flushed out).  And was pleasantly surprised by the color.  On the first paper I tried it on, which isn't a stark white, it was leaning towards red violet/burgundy (even though the label calls it a brown).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

17 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I don't normally like red-browns or brownish reds.  But recently I picked up a bottle of MB Antoine de Saint-Exupery Encree du Desert (from the "Little Prince" collection) and tossed it into the Sheaffer No-Nonsense with the IM nib I picked up on the way to the Chicago Pen Show (I figured a brown ink was safe because I wasn't 100% sure I got the pen flushed out).  And was pleasantly surprised by the color.  On the first paper I tried it on, which isn't a stark white, it was leaning towards red violet/burgundy (even though the label calls it a brown).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Anything P't Prince has me hooked.  Had I a bigger budget I would have bought the pen.  There's a French-language musical with a great song about baobabs.

Festina lente