Wild

fpupulin

In recent days I had the opportunity to chat a bit with a dear pen friend about the inimitable Wild celluloid from Omas.

After having introduced it for its edition dedicated to Galileo Galilei, released in 1993 for the celebration of the 650th anniversary of the University of Pisa, Omas always made a rather limited use of this extraordinary material. In its ordinary editions, Omas used it for his 360 (with the cap ring decorated with a Greek motif) and later in a "vintage" edition of the same pen (the cap with three thin rings), as well as in the new versions of the Paragon and Milord, post 2005.

During the life of Omas, the company created a special edition of only 40 pieces dedicated to "The Year of Light" (2015), very similar to the Galilei, but with the color of the cap rings inverted (white-yellow-white instead of yellow-white-yellow). On that occasion, the company declared that it would be the last release of pens in these materials, now out of stock. On the front of the sponsored pens, Omas made a special edition for Bulgari, using the Wild celluloid and silver, a special edition of the Ogiva for Novelli in Rome, a cylindrical and non-faceted version of the Galileo, dedicated to his accuser, Pope Urban V, and certainly distributed some of his bars to third parties. Mora Stylos made some of his beautiful Oldwins, which he named Nuit d'Orage. Penboard had for some time on sale several Omas Rabat, of which I don't know the history, also made with Wild celluloid. They had the classic shape of a Paragon, with a round rather than a dodecagonal shape. I don't know if the Rabat pens were ptototypes or if a special edition actually existed.

After the demise of Omas, Armando Simoni Club took over the celluloid stocks and finally it was discovered that, after all, the Wild was still not at its end. ASC made several editions, with different trims, in its Bologna, Bologna Medio and Ogiva models. Even more recently, Leonardo used Wild celluloid bars to produce his Momento Zero Grande, with gold and HT finishes.

Some Wild bars are actually still available on the market for those who want to delight in working them on the lathe, but the price of almost 800 euros per bar (small bars of just 20x2 cm) is certainly not so attractive for those who just want to try their hand on...

I have the privilege of owning an Omas Grand Paragon in the beautiful Wild celluloid. I bought it after having given my daughter, for the completion of her master in Ancient Harp, a brand new Galileo in its curious Plexiglas box. She has an Extra Fine nib that writes like a dream.

Talking about Wild with my friend made me want to take a good photographic portrait of my pen, in the vein I like to call "magical hyperrealism". I present it here.

large.2073385338_OMASGrandParagonWildSedireaPortrait(2)FP.jpg.b912ab4b11823b80ed43e08c3923d352.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• Seney724

• fpupulin

• dms525

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wild Celluloid is nice stuff. Thanks for the historical summary.

FYI, here are my Wild pens:

IMG_3430.jpeg.0f0daad33c6bb5a01ef4ed04ff10f638.jpeg

You have mentioned these in the OP. Top to bottom: OMAS Galileo; OMAS 360; Oldwin Classic.

Enjoy!

David

They are a splendid trio, David! Today it would also be a quite expensive group of pens, as the Wild celluloid seems especially in vogue.

I never realized before seeing the three pens close each other in your photograph that the Classic Oldwin is quite a big pen.

Congratulations for your three beauties!

Thanks to both @fpupulinand @dms525 for such excellent posts and photos.

I have long admired and avoided both the Wild and the Arlecchino celluloids due to their notorious tendencies to crystallize even when kept in the most ideal conditions.

Have either of you experienced this sad outcome?  If not, given the large number of pens which are in your respective possessions, perhaps you have found the secret(s) to their safekeeping?

@fpupulin Dear Franco, first let me say that, that photo in your post, it has a soul. It's the kind of photos with such light that it sinks one into thoughts... It evokes memories and imaginations. Beautiful post, text and photo. Thank you!

Second, congratulations to your daughter, for having a wonderful father, for achieving master degree in performing arts (it's good to know that people still study for what they love), and for having good taste in pens. The daily use of this beautiful pen is the best remedy of avoiding a possible ill fate. This pen is loved, not like many in collector's case (loved but lonely)🙂.

Finally, would you consider changing this thread to Wild Photo Thread. Have we had one? It would be wonderful.

@dms525 Congratulations to your beautiful trio. Very classic models with this stunning celluloid.

@Seney724 It's true that many Galileo (not all) ended up crumbling away due to crystallisation. From what I have observed, the crystallisation seems to be a problem particular to the Galileo model. There have been many discussions about the possible causes which I don't wish to go into here (this post is too beautiful for that), though I personally believe that it's the metals of the trims of this particular model and Wild attacking each other. I don't know of other Wild ending in such way as a known issue.

4 hours ago, como said:

@Seney724 It's true that many Galileo (not all) ended up crumbling away due to crystallisation. From what I have observed, the crystallisation seems to be a problem particular to the Galileo model. There have been many discussions about the possible causes which I don't wish to go into here (this post is too beautiful for that), though I personally believe that it's the metals of the trims of this particular model and Wild attacking each other. I don't know of other Wild ending in such way as a known issue.

Hello @como  I quite agree that such a discussion should not interfere with this lovely thread which, I hope, will have many more contributors.  However the topic of the huge incidence of crystallization found in the Wild (or at least its Galileo models) and the Arlecchino celluloids is of great interest to many.  I tend to favor the theory that it is due to improper / insufficient aging of the celluloid rods.  If I start a new thread on the topic can I count on your to add your thoughts about the many causes.  We would all benefit from your knowledge and wisdom!!

7 hours ago, Seney724 said:

Thanks to both @fpupulinand @dms525 for such excellent posts and photos.

I have long admired and avoided both the Wild and the Arlecchino celluloids due to their notorious tendencies to crystallize even when kept in the most ideal conditions.

Have either of you experienced this sad outcome?  If not, given the large number of pens which are in your respective possessions, perhaps you have found the secret(s) to their safekeeping?

I have not had crystallization problems with any of my celluloid pens (knock on wood!). I keep them in pen display boxes with pretty good ventilation.

The breakage problem with the Arlecchino has kept me away from that material. Of course, now there is a resin available that mimics the celluloid. I have not seen it except in photos though.

David

20 minutes ago, dms525 said:

The breakage problem with the Arlecchino has kept me away from that material. Of course, now there is a resin available that mimics the celluloid. I have not seen it except in photos though.

David

I have seen it in person.  Actually, it has been created by more than one manufacturer.  So, maybe this is better stated as "I have seen them." 

I think the key word in your comment is "mimics."  Like most imitations, the resin Arlecchinos are not nearly as nice as the "real thing!"

4 hours ago, Seney724 said:

Hello @como  ...If I start a new thread on the topic can I count on your to add your thoughts about the many causes.  We would all benefit from your knowledge and wisdom!!

@Seney724Thank you for your kind words. Well, to me wisdom is a kind of bad experience, put with a positive spin in hindsight... Every time I whisper the word "wisdom", I feel dumb already 😀. There are many experts here who have more first hand experience than me, pen dealers, restorers, nibmeisters, collectors, even with chemistry background... I can only learn from them and once a in while take a calculated risk and hope that it will work out.

Lovely pen and photo, Franco, and celluloid of course.

As you know I'm one of the ones who has suffered the loss of a disintegrating Galileo,

but as I have mentioned in my dedicated thread "death of an Omas" I practically knew from start my pen was at risk.

This remains a beautiful celluloid, and thanks for recapping the history. I send my longevity greetings to both wild owners and pens!

:)

This is very interesting to me. Last year I bought a new pen that appears to be in this material, without knowing that it had a history (I probably should have guessed, but I just liked it and that was enough). It was a nibs.com exclusive by ASC, to celebrate nibs.com's 26th anniversary. It feels very solid and weighty for a celluloid pen, probably because the captured piston converter is all metal. I can only hope that it won't suffer any material degradation, at least not in my lifetime. 

1587651707_ascnibsdotcomwildcelluloid.jpg.f371c09b0a86b34e654bca1f497935cf.jpg

Apologies for the mediocre photo quality. The nib is an OM cursive italic. 

4 hours ago, Michael R. said:

brave you are 😉

What a pretty Leonardo! 😍

Cheers

Michael

@Michael R. Thank you! Though I have not had any bad experience with celluloid yet (by being both careful and lucky), I do keep an eye on the overall risk level of the collection, not just potential celluloid crystallisation problem. For example, I have one wood pen, one pen with leather component, and of course any pens with fragile filling mechanism are also more carefully handled etc and regularly checked. Though I love my wood pen and leather pen very much, I refrain from buying more to elevate the overall risks. Ultimately I buy what I love, but with some caution. What you listed in another thread was very good. I have yet to comment on that.🙂

7 minutes ago, como said:

What you listed in another thread was very good. I have yet to comment on that.🙂

We have noticed your failure to comment in that thread @como!   

And, you have been missed.  You will surely have a lot of valuable information and wisdom to add to it............

3 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

This is very interesting to me. Last year I bought a new pen that appears to be in this material, without knowing that it had a history (I probably should have guessed, but I just liked it and that was enough). It was a nibs.com exclusive by ASC, to celebrate nibs.com'sh anniversary. It feels very solid and weighty for a celluloid pen, probably because the captured piston converter is all metal. I can only hope that it won't suffer any material degradation, at least not in my lifetime. 

1587651707_ascnibsdotcomwildcelluloid.jpg.f371c09b0a86b34e654bca1f497935cf.jpg

Apologies for the mediocre photo quality. The nib is an OM cursive italic. 

@Paul-in-SF The nib appears to be Omas, and OM cursive italic, quite special. The ASC nibs tend to be very wet. Is this a c/c filler? The pattern looks very nice on this pen (sometimes one can end up with a pen with very large patches of cream colour, or too much black), with an Omas nib and not the usual oversize ASC. Hope you enjoy writing with it!

47 minutes ago, como said:

Is this a c/c filler?

No, it's a captured converter, piston-style. It is truly a pleasure to write with. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, como said:

@fpupulin You know how much I love the Wild. As is in life, I take calculated risks, take care of things the best I can, and don’t worry about the rest 😀

large.EC3D69AA-46BD-4A7F-84D0-7F722A73C5ED.jpeg.35c2ae9f70e219d1de9edc8d22ea179d.jpeg

Great celluloid in a beautiful pen. Where did you buy this model? I've been looking for it for quite a while without success...

29 minutes ago, lfmarsan said:

Great celluloid in a beautiful pen. Where did you buy this model? I've been looking for it for quite a while without success...

Both Pen Venture and Novelli had them. Novelli still shows this pen on their site. Best ask Marco if it's really available or is reserved already for a client. Good luck!