EFNIR: Diamine Registrar's Ink

LizEF

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Plotter - P, not B. :D   A mechanical device that writes with a pen:

Oooooops... Sorry about that. In any case, I did read pen and not ben.    :lticaptd:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• lapis

• yazeh

• Schaumburg_Swan

2 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Those are cool.

I've wanted one from the moment I first saw one - just not badly enough to pay for it. :lol:

27 minutes ago, lapis said:

Oooooops... Sorry about that. In any case, I did read pen and not ben.    :lticaptd:

:lticaptd: No worries.  The name isn't exactly intuitive.  Now I'm trying to not wonder what a ben blotter might be... 😱

9 minutes ago, LizEF said:

…‹snip›… what a ben blotter might be... 😱

Whereas a Ben plotter may be tried,

at nominal administrative cost,

for treason and, if convicted, punished by drawing and hanging.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Whereas a Ben plotter may be tried,

at nominal administrative cost,

for treason and, if convicted, punished by drawing and hanging.

:lticaptd:

18 hours ago, LizEF said:

1 :eureka: Oh, an excuse to buy a pen plotter!  Can they go fast enough to test ink flow?  Hmmmmmm. 

Hi @LizEF, thanks for the review and for the extra ideas!

Drawing lines with constant pressure at constant speed would be a big step forward in generating a reliable and reproducible database for ink testing and for comparisons.

Wetness, flow, viscosity and lubrication do combine in a complex way into a subjective impression. Far away (unfortunately) from an 'universal ink theory' 🤫, at least I can say that viscosity of an ink does not influence the amount which is laid down by a fountain pen. However, high(er) viscosity supports unequal distribution along the line (=shading).

Iron gall inks are fascinating because of their behaviour during drying which can be explained, but should not happen during/after drying. (it should happen during storage already ...)🤔

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Hi @LizEF, thanks for the review and for the extra ideas!

:) You're very welcome!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Drawing lines with constant pressure at constant speed would be a big step forward in generating a reliable and reproducible database for ink testing and for comparisons.

Tempting, isn't it!  If only we had a wealthy sponsor! :D

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Wetness, flow, viscosity and lubrication do combine in a complex way into a subjective impression. Far away (unfortunately) from an 'universal ink theory' 🤫 ...

Liz's universal ink theory: More!  Must try more! ;)

6 hours ago, InesF said:

at least I can say that viscosity of an ink does not influence the amount which is laid down by a fountain pen.

Your thread on all this has taught us lots and lots!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

However, high(er) viscosity supports unequal distribution along the line (=shading).

Those of us who love shading want a new industry standard, requiring viscosity (aka shading) ratings on all inks! :D

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Iron gall inks are fascinating because of their behaviour during drying which can be explained, but should not happen during/after drying. (it should happen during storage already ...)🤔

The inky wizards at work! ;)

14 hours ago, InesF said:

Wetness, flow, viscosity and lubrication do combine in a complex way into a subjective impression. Far away (unfortunately) from an 'universal ink theory' 🤫, at least I can say that viscosity of an ink does not influence the amount which is laid down by a fountain pen.  ...

Well said, Ines.

I often wondered about contradicting inpressions when it comes to strong iron gall inks.

Is Diamine Registrar's (DRI) wetter than ESSRI or 4001 BBl? Not on my pens - subjective impressions...

Sometimes it is hard to classify an ink like Gutenberg G10 - it feels low viscosity / high surface tention making it here a dry to very dry (?) ink.

DRI seems high viscosity / high surface tention making it very dry.

Best wishes

Jens

On 10/5/2021 at 4:41 PM, Schaumburg_Swan said:

Hi Lapis,

indeed a very dry ink. To me this means "It's not a bug - it's a feature" 😉

One of the best inks for my antique eyedroppers, great for vintage ef/eef pens.

The very fine line is not ruined by wetness, here I find Herbin Perle Noir useless.

Best

Jens

Exactly!  I have an old turn of the century eyedropper that's like a paintbrush, even with Diamine Registrar's (it's like a paint-gun with non-IG inks.) 

Even some of my older lever fillers are very wet and perform better with iron galls.

10 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Great thread! I like this ink’s colour - still not sure whether the dryness would be a problem or not 😉 I guess this would be one you have to try for yourself to find out. 

Thanks! :)  Yes, nothing beats testing an ink yourself - reviews give you an idea of the risks and benefits, but nothing can replace experience.

43 minutes ago, lapis said:

My wife forbids me to have too much experience.

::smirky laugh-not-laugh emoji:: :)

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 2:57 AM, LizEF said:

Here's An Ink Guy's video, starting at the Viscosity test (spoiler alert - it's very wet):

Take it for whatever it's worth to you.

Hi, I think I figured out a way to read the context;

- "Put dry ink in dry pens, and wet inks in wet pens," according to an ink guy's viscosity scale.

Since I have two identical nib FC pens in diametrically opposite writing styles(one is a bbs, the other is dry) it dawned on me to test both Pelikan 4001 and Parker Quink black inks.

Hence, I recommend challenging the norms and using 'dry' inks with your dry pens - the viscosity makes the nib more lubricated and smooth - while 'skipping' bbs pens like the steady flow of wet inks, those were my findings.

15 minutes ago, mtcn77 said:

Hi, I think I figured out a way to read the context;

- "Put dry ink in dry pens, and wet inks in wet pens," according to an ink guy's viscosity scale.

Since I have two identical nib FC pens in diametrically opposite writing styles(one is a bbs, the other is dry) it dawned on me to test both Pelikan 4001 and Parker Quink black inks.

Hence, I recommend challenging the norms and using 'dry' inks with your dry pens - the viscosity makes the nib more lubricated and smooth - while bbs pens like the steady flow of wet inks, those were my findings.

What do you mean by bbs please?

1 minute ago, mizgeorge said:

What do you mean by bbs please?

Oh, right. "Babies' bottom": skipping, hard starting, but overall a smooth nib with plenty of flow. In regard to a dry scratchy nib, it needs a different ink, in my opinion. One that is wet per standards(low viscosity, low surface tension), but dry in feel.

Oh, I like the color - better than Hero 232, which I also like. Hmm, maybe a 100ml bottle of this is what I would take to a remote forest monastery in the mountains if I became a monk, rather than the Hero ink.

Thanks for the useful review!

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Oh, I like the color - better than Hero 232, which I also like. Hmm, maybe a 100ml bottle of this is what I would take to a remote forest monastery in the mountains if I became a monk, rather than the Hero ink.

:)

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the useful review!

You're very welcome!

• 1 month later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 300µm.

large.DiamineRegistrarsInkLW.jpg.dca4d7c92a63bcf65910da433a7df715.jpg