Wooden pen recommendation?

TSherbs

Another option for briarwood is Nakaya. Theirs is, I think, $400, and comes in either glossy or matte.  I don't recall if it is solid wood though or just an overlay (aka veneer) sitting on a metal core.  

If you do get an "all-wood" pen and are consumed with worry re:the section, for custom made pens you could ask for the section to be made from ebonite.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• como

• OMASsimo

• The Mustard

2 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Another option for briarwood is Nakaya. Theirs is, I think, $400, and comes in either glossy or matte.  I don't recall if it is solid wood though or just an overlay (aka veneer) sitting on a metal core.  

If you do get an "all-wood" pen and are consumed with worry re:the section, for custom made pens you could ask for the section to be made from ebonite.

The briarwood Nakaya is beautiful.

22 hours ago, OMASsimo said:

...Many pipes are made of briarwood because it’s not only drop dead gorgeous but also really tough...

@OMASsimo True. Briarwood looks very elegant, very refined.. From time to time, I still have the urge to buy an Omas A. Vespucci or AM87. I like the brown version the best. Perhaps one day I will. Thank you for your answer.

On 10/15/2021 at 1:51 AM, TSherbs said:

That Vespucci is damn beautiful. Wow. I might have to start saving....

@TSherbs I couldn’t agree more, this has been a really interesting thread and that looks like a beautiful pen, I wasn’t aware of it before but I am very happy to be so now.  Thanks @OMASsimo although, that said, I am trying to have a significant pause in buying pens and that is a serious temptation..! 

@TSherbs I couldn’t agree more, this has been a really interesting thread and that looks like a beautiful pen, I wasn’t aware of it before but I am very happy to be so now.  Thanks @OMASsimo although, that said, I am trying to have a significant pause in buying pens and that is a serious temptation..! 

• 2 months later...

I have read and seen good things about a craftsman in France named Matthieu Faivet (www.faivet.net). I have been interested in the No. 7 (the first one on the site). What I like about it are the wooden section (which is finished like the rest of the pen), the lack of stepdown between barrel and section, the apparently thin-walled cap, and the overall tapered shape. He has a fair number of different woods to choose from, including some highly-figured burls. He does use plastic inserts for the cap threads (and presumably for the section threads into the barrel) but they are very unobtrusive to the appearance, and I presume they provide better stability. 

This pen may push your budget, since it starts at 360 Euros with a steel nib (Bock is standard, JoWo is available). 

8 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I have read and seen good things about a craftsman in France named Matthieu Faivet (www.faivet.net). I have been interested in the No. 7 (the first one on the site). What I like about it are the wooden section (which is finished like the rest of the pen), the lack of stepdown between barrel and section, the apparently thin-walled cap, and the overall tapered shape. He has a fair number of different woods to choose from, including some highly-figured burls. He does use plastic inserts for the cap threads (and presumably for the section threads into the barrel) but they are very unobtrusive to the appearance, and I presume they provide better stability. 

This pen may push your budget, since it starts at 360 Euros with a steel nib (Bock is standard, JoWo is available). 

Thanks, Paul. What a beautiful pen!

Any idea what the section diameter is on that #7? I can't find that info....

Some of the finest wood pens I have encountered are made by artisan craftsman Ryan Krusac, who specializes in the use of exotic woods.   My first Krusac, purchased years ago, is of cocobolo wood with a turquoise inlay in the end of the cap.  The wood has darkened quite a bit from my hand oils.  Additional purchases include

51786615982_b0c9755912_b.jpg

51786616042_9699b58567_b.jpg

a pen in Buckeye Burl (on left) and one in Spalted Oak (on right)

51787683588_8a573414c2_b.jpg

But perhaps my favorite Krusac pen is actually not wood, but is made from fossilized mammoth tooth.  I find the colors and pattern  in this material mesmerizing.

51786616342_3d57117fb9_b.jpg

51788057809_1edc5bb8d2_b.jpg

Ryan is one of the nicest gentlemen you will encounter.  His pens can be seen at many pen shows each year or on his website at www.rkspens.com

2 hours ago, TSherbs said:

Any idea what the section diameter is on that #7? I can't find that info....

I think he will adjust the diameter of the section to your specifications. The diameter of the body is on the details page, 14.5 mm. 

2 hours ago, TSherbs said:

No, never seen that before. Fascinating.

Just a comment on filling a converter: One can fill a converter directly from a bottle and then insert it in the section or purchase a Pineider "Snorkel" to aid in filling the converter direct from a bottle. This completely avoids issues of dipping the section in ink.

5 hours ago, whichwatch said:

Some of the finest wood pens I have encountered are made by artisan craftsman Ryan Krusac, who specializes in the use of exotic woods.   My first Krusac, purchased years ago, is of cocobolo wood with a turquoise inlay in the end of the cap.  The wood has darkened quite a bit from my hand oils.  Additional purchases include

51786615982_b0c9755912_b.jpg

51786616042_9699b58567_b.jpg

a pen in Buckeye Burl (on left) and one in Spalted Oak (on right)

51787683588_8a573414c2_b.jpg

But perhaps my favorite Krusac pen is actually not wood, but is made from fossilized mammoth tooth.  I find the colors and pattern  in this material mesmerizing.

51786616342_3d57117fb9_b.jpg

51788057809_1edc5bb8d2_b.jpg

Ryan is one of the nicest gentlemen you will encounter.  His pens can be seen at many pen shows each year or on his website at www.rkspens.com

just wow

but I also saw Ryan's fb post that his hand may have some nerve damage....

7 hours ago, da vinci said:

Maybe worth a look at StyloArt in Japan. Not sure of prices but nice pens! 😊

Very nice pens, thanks !