EFNIR: KWZ Grey Plum

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: KWZ Grey Plum

This is review #132 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: I can notice a smell from this, but since my nose doesn't function properly, I couldn't tell you what it smells like, just that I notice it, and it's sorta sweet, maybe.

The screenshot doesn't show the color quite well enough - I see a *little* more color, but actually gives a good overall impression of what I see from a distance as far as how dark the ink is.  The scan might have better color.  This purple is to the red side.  The zoom sort of shows that, but not really - color was just too dark for anything to pick up.

Cleaning was quick and easy.  There was a tinge of green in the converter and the sink as I was cleaning.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.KWZGreyPlum.jpg.81575189a9022e93bd6692dd2f2189be.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.KWZGreyPlumS.jpg.21a8a55a4117212adb1f2b064a430dea.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.KWZGreyPlumZ.jpg.428ace8456c8e0db96ad937e35dfd56d.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.KWZGreyPlumAP.jpg.04e75a905cab5a7484ea582b548cc77d.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Sailor Shikiori Yonaga.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Thank you - yet another useful review for me since this ink is another one that I was interested in!

The zoomed photo does seem to give the impression of 'plum' to me but do you think it also has a grey look? My impression is that Scabiosa in a wet pen has a similar look to me so I'm getting less interested in this one (I am just as happy to take an ink off my want list as I am to put one on - sometimes even happier ...).

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Thanks as always @LizEF another very interesting and useful review.

This was an ink that wasn't really on my radar (I don't know why, but I've never really got into KWZ inks), and it certainly isn't now! Even if I really liked the look of it, the dry time would be a dealbreaker for me. So I'm safe again :)

Now, this is the sort of what-is-it color that intrigues me.  But the Forever dry time rules it out.

Love your quote; I had already written about the absolute horrors of camping out.  🤣

Thanks again for the reviews.   And ooo, evil punching bags?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Great job, @LizEF :thumbup:

The colour is truly appealing, hence my love of Scabiosa.

Was that the goat that hit poor Makhabest? It's turning into a cliffhanger :D

58 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thanks as always @LizEF another very interesting and useful review.

You're welcome! :)

59 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

This was an ink that wasn't really on my radar (I don't know why, but I've never really got into KWZ inks), and it certainly isn't now! Even if I really liked the look of it, the dry time would be a dealbreaker for me. So I'm safe again :)

:lol: Keeping the world safe, one ink at a time!

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

Thank you - yet another useful review for me since this ink is another one that I was interested in!

You're very welcome! :)

1 hour ago, PithyProlix said:

The zoomed photo does seem to give the impression of 'plum' to me but do you think it also has a grey look? My impression is that Scabiosa in a wet pen has a similar look to me so I'm getting less interested in this one (I am just as happy to take an ink off my want list as I am to put one on - sometimes even happier ...).

I have Grey Plum and Scabiosa swatches here in front of me.  Grey Plum is darker and a hair more to the blue side.  Scabiosa is greyer / more muted.  Grey Plum is definitely not bright, but all alone, you wouldn't say it has grey in it - you'd need another color next to it to see that.

Saving the world, one ink at a time! ;)

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Now, this is the sort of what-is-it color that intrigues me.  But the Forever dry time rules it out.

:) :(  Saving lefties, one ink at a time! :P

Love your quote; I had already written about the absolute horrors of camping out.  🤣

:D Yeah, camping looks all nice and peaceful and stuff, but my experience of the reality has not been something I'm anxious to repeat.

Thanks again for the reviews.   And ooo, evil punching bags?

You're welcome!  And I hope you like (this coming) Friday's! ;)

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job, @LizEF :thumbup:

Thanks! :)

The colour is truly appealing, hence my love of Scabiosa.

Ah, see my previous post describing the differences.

Was that the goat that hit poor Makhabest? It's turning into a cliffhanger :D

<that voice-over guy's voice> Tune in Friday for the heart-stopping continuation (of this scene)! ;) :P  <whisper>(Also, a sneak peek into the unbelievable real-life story that inspired this scene.) </whisper> </that voice-over guy's voice>

22 hours ago, LizEF said:

I have Grey Plum and Scabiosa swatches here in front of me.  Grey Plum is darker and a hair more to the blue side.  Scabiosa is greyer / more muted.  Grey Plum is definitely not bright, but all alone, you wouldn't say it has grey in it - you'd need another color next to it to see that.

Darker and a hair more to the blue side of Scabiosa is intriguing to me.   Thank you for sharing your observations.

2 hours ago, ENewton said:

Darker and a hair more to the blue side of Scabiosa is intriguing to me.   Thank you for sharing your observations.

:) You're very welcome!

Thanks LizEF for this wonderful review. The color is really appealing to my eyes.
My problem with KWZ inks in general is mostly the scent. Its distracting and intrusive when I am writing. And as it was commented here several times, not always they flow well after several days. A pity for me because I love their colors. 

1 hour ago, ubezahn said:

Thanks LizEF for this wonderful review.

You're very welcome! :)  And thanks.

1 hour ago, ubezahn said:

My problem with KWZ inks in general is mostly the scent. Its distracting and intrusive when I am writing. And as it was commented here several times, not always they flow well after several days. A pity for me because I love their colors.

I've never had a flow problem with KWZ inks, but all my pens seal well (I quit using them if they don't, as I live in a desert).  But this one definitely has a noticeable scent, and if I can notice it, pretty much anyone can.

• 4 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 270µm.

large.KWZGreyPlumLW.jpg.12326cc0a78b0c794e8229cb3c55d18b.jpg