Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Karmachanic

Came across this during my daily journey.

ad797a7ecb07394eed58fba6ea6bc0eac9e8fbb3.jpg.29ce8ca18966988968a4882fc06b2e29.jpg

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Detman101

• Karmachanic

• mizgeorge

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forsee a future in medicine. That's just how every doctor I've ever known seems to write...

Interesting....so it's an Italic nib that creates those sharp edges, eh?
I may have to revise my pursuit.
Question: Can a "stub" be sharpened to an "Italic"?
🤔

37 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Interesting....so it's an Italic nib that creates those sharp edges, eh?
I may have to revise my pursuit.
Question: Can a "stub" be sharpened to an "Italic"?
🤔

Yes it can (though the other way is easier!) - on a steel nib it's very straightforward, on gold, you'd lose some width to retain the integrity of the tipping.

I just tried copying this out, and it worked very nicely with any stub over about 1.1 - a 1.5 was perfect. It was a little crisper with an italic, but perfectly acceptable without the harder edges.

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Yes it can (though the other way is easier!) - on a steel nib it's very straightforward, on gold, you'd lose some width to retain the integrity of the tipping.

I just tried copying this out, and it worked very nicely with any stub over about 1.1 - a 1.5 was perfect. It was a little crisper with an italic, but perfectly acceptable without the harder edges.

Okay, kewl! That puts me in the perfect range with a 1.1 stub.
When I finally get around to picking up my flexy stub I'll send it off to get "Italicized" hehe.

Karmachanic
16 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

That puts me in the perfect range with a 1.1 stub.
When I finally get around to picking up my flexy stub I'll send it off to get "Italicized"

Then you'll most likely end up with a narrower line. 

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

Another thing to note about the above picture is how heavy the application of ink is. That makes me think dip pen and not a fountain pen, but I would be very much interested if it is not. Normally a fountain pen will have a tendency to spread ink out and push the blob of ink towards the end of the stroke, which would not likely get you those nice blobs of ink that are consistent throughout the whole word, unless you were very careful and used an ink that would glob up appropriately with some pen lifts. 

also curious on the ink, there is no shading at all and the word, besides the perfect proportions, seems to float on the paper.

lovely!

silverlifter
4 minutes ago, sansenri said:

and the word, besides the perfect proportions, seems to float on the paper

It looks digitally produced to me. Or, at the very least, enhanced.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

inkstainedruth
35 minutes ago, sansenri said:

the word, besides the perfect proportions, seems to float on the paper.

I got the same impression.  It's almost as if the word was cut out of a piece of black construction paper and laid onto the other paper.

As for mizgeorge's comment about the handwriting of physicians, I'd have to disagree -- this is LEGIBLE....  (Or maybe it's just that I've had enough calligraphy classes.... :rolleyes:)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, silverlifter said:

It looks digitally produced to me. Or, at the very least, enhanced.

It's just the pooling of the ink with the top lighting creating a bit of a soft shadow. See this video @ 5:40 to see a similar effect in real time (though with a lower resolution camera). That's why I'm pretty sure this wasn't done with a fountain pen in one stroke (maybe a fountain pen with a "wet" ink and multiple strokes). 

silverlifter
4 minutes ago, arcfide said:

See this video @ 5:40 to see a similar effect in real time (though with a lower resolution camera).

In the video, you can see the ink merge with the paper, where in the original image, it not only floats above it, it seems weirdly unrelated to it (that's the only way I can explain it).

I accept that we all perceive things differently, so I'm not arguing about who is right or wrong, only that the effect to me is quite fake.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 2 weeks later...
Grayspoole

The original image may very well be digitally manipulated, it’s impossible to tell, but calligraphers use gouache paints (only with dip pens) to achieve similarly raised lettering. Unlike inks, the thicker pigments sit on top of the paper and create a raised effect.