Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Counterfeit Leuchtturm 1917 on Ebay

I have been using these for years and regularly buy via eBay, I purchased an A5 hardback 1917 recently on eBay for about £8 in an auction. Everything was 100% right from the wrap, twin page markers and right through to the inserts and pocket. When I unwrapped it a feint imprint showed under oblique light but the printing on the pages was once again 100% correct.

First stoke of a nib and it's lack of heritage became obvious. 

A quick email to eBay was all it took to get a full refund.

BD136DB8-4F71-4F1B-AF6F-E0795B451DEB.jpeg

D499AC89-67E9-4263-A734-B97C36AD51F5.jpeg

A97A873C-A90B-4224-A34B-19BE84F04043.jpeg

439737F8-5749-4C52-AD08-F9EB36E8FAAA.jpeg

Edited by Amory
Add photos
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amory

• A Smug Dill

• rafapa

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Smug Dill
16 minutes ago, Amory said:

First stoke of a nib and it's lack of heritage became obvious.

Just as likely and plausible an explanation is that Leuchtturm1917 has changed the paper used in its genuine products, irrespective of whether some repeat customer expected some sort of unstated ‘standard’ to be adhered to, or ‘heritage’ to be respected, by the company itself being consistent despite the absence of promise or product specifications to that effect. If you search online, you'll find more than a few anecdotes about declining paper quality in Leuchtturm1917 journals (of the same type and form factor) they bought over the years.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

You misunderstood my post

The item I purchased and have shown in photos IS counterfeit and there is no alternative explanation, plausible or otherwise.  
My apologies if I failed to make it crystal clear that I was warning of counterfeit products on eBay.   

Leuchtturm is a respected company. It is wrong to cast aspersions.

The genuine replacement I purchased is exactly the same as those I have used before. 

2 hours ago, Amory said:

You misunderstood my post

The item I purchased and have shown in photos IS counterfeit and there is no alternative explanation, plausible or otherwise.  
My apologies if I failed to make it crystal clear that I was warning of counterfeit products on eBay.   

Leuchtturm is a respected company. It is wrong to cast aspersions.

The genuine replacement I purchased is exactly the same as those I have used before. 

You can see below the behavior of my Master A4+ received directly from Leuchtturm.

20150208_165735.jpg