Cheap Fountain Pens

Amory

Just returned from a few days sailing, my yacht has been in a marina in the Mediterranean since before lockdown. Next to the paper log was the log pen -- a Wing Sung 3008 filled with Platinum Carbon Black. The pen began writing as soon as the nib touched paper despite being shut in the cabin for two summers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amory

• Bristol24

• mallymal1

• Bo Bo Olson

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, david-p said:

I guess you are lucky that nobody stole it while you were away!

😀

I guess the person looking after the yacht also like pens. :)

16 hours ago, Amory said:

Just returned from a few days sailing, my yacht has been in a marina in the Mediterranean since before lockdown. Next to the paper log was the log pen -- a Wing Sung 3008 filled with Platinum Carbon Black. The pen began writing as soon as the nib touched paper despite being shut in the cabin for two summers

I'm not going to say I don't believe it because we obviously have common interests and both use cheap fountain pens for our logs.  I used a Hero 616 for many years aboard our sailboat and kept it in the navigation drawer with a bottle of Hero Carbon black, a nano-particle ink similar to your Platinum.  If an ink is going to be problematic over time, it would be a nano-particle ink. My 616 had no problem staying wet and ready to write for a month, the longest we've ever left our boat afloat unattended.  Obviously you must have an attentive caretaker for your boat.  Otherwise you would not have been sailing for a few days after the boat being in the water and idle for a couple of years. It would not have been seaworthy. Having said this, ours has been on the hard since late fall 2019 and never went back in the water due to the lockdown.  This past spring, in hopes of getting back in the water, I was pleased to have the diesel start right up after more than a year of just sitting.  Not so a Parker 45 in the nav drawer inked with KWZ IG Blue #1.  It took some coaxing.  At least you went sailing. We're still on the hard. I'm envious.

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

16 hours ago, Amory said:

That's amazing. 😲

12 hours ago, david-p said:

I guess you are lucky that nobody stole it while you were away!

😀

yes they go mad for Wing Sung pens in Marina di Rausa

1 hour ago, Bristol24 said:

I'm not going to say I don't believe it because we obviously have common interests and both use cheap fountain pens for our logs.  I used a Hero 616 for many years aboard our sailboat and kept it in the navigation drawer with a bottle of Hero Carbon black, a nano-particle ink similar to your Platinum.  If an ink is going to be problematic over time, it would be a nano-particle ink. My 616 had no problem staying wet and ready to write for a month, the longest we've ever left our boat afloat unattended.  Obviously you must have an attentive caretaker for your boat.  Otherwise you would not have been sailing for a few days after the boat being in the water and idle for a couple of years. It would not have been seaworthy. Having said this, ours has been on the hard since late fall 2019 and never went back in the water due to the lockdown.  This past spring, in hopes of getting back in the water, I was pleased to have the diesel start right up after more than a year of just sitting.  Not so a Parker 45 in the nav drawer inked with KWZ IG Blue #1.  It took some coaxing.  At least you went sailing. We're still on the hard. I'm envious.

Cliff

then why type "I'm not going to say I don't believe it"

I was pretending to be helpful but in all honesty I've nothing better to do with my time than lie about things online to strangers

18 hours ago, Amory said:
  • Author
  •  

then why type "I'm not going to say I don't believe it"

You are absolutely correct.  In reading it now it sounds like a put down which was NOT my intent.  You have my most sincere apology for those words.  I was not intimating that you were not being truthful but it sure as heck looks that way in hind sight.  I take it back (if you will give it).  The part about being envious of your being able to go sailing I fully own.

With sincere regards,

Cliff

“The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting.”  John Adams

I can see using cheap pens when there is no thick carpet underfoot and the 'floor' is so deep away, and one has the danger of flying fish thinking your pen is a lure.

What width is the nib?

What paper does one use for a log?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

6 hours ago, Amory said:

Now I’m mad because your sincere apology robs me of a reason to be mad. 

Thank you.  You get it which says a lot. I believe you and I would get along quite well...even though I'm still envious over the sailing thing.  Normally my wife and I spend 45-60 days aboard every season cruising the California coast.  The withdrawal has not been without symptoms.  Playing with vintage fountain pens has been good therapy, however.

Good sailing,

Cliff