Dropped a Lamy 2000

tuiggoline

Today I dropped a Lamy 2000.

I was about to buy a replacement unit, when I thought "can I repair this by myself?" So I tried to do so. I bent the nib back into position, but the tines are now horribly splayed. What's worse, one side is longer than the other (one tine was bent more than the other). I tried to push the nib from the underside, but that bent it even further down, and when I bend it back up it just becomes horribly spliced again.

So, can someone tell me whether it is possible to repair this pen, and if so, how? If not, I will just buy a replacement unit.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• tuiggoline

1 hour ago, tuiggoline said:

So, can someone tell me whether it is possible to repair this pen, and if so, how?

I'd guess the folks who can really answer that question with credibility do pen repair for a living, have the right tools on hand, and would still need to inspect the item professionally before giving a prognosis.

Whether it can be repaired by an amateur (such as myself, because I can't gauge anyone else's skill level sight unseen) would be an entirely different question. My suggestion is, if you're really keen to find out — strictly out of curiosity and perhaps a learning experience — perhaps you should buy a replacement unit for a proper writing instrument you'd use, and then (as in afterwards) play around with the damaged pen you put aside as a practice piece when you have the time and inclination. If, perchance, you manage to get the damaged pen back to writing condition, then you either keep two functional pens, or sell the newer one off as a secondhand item to recoup some of the cost if all you need is one working Lamy 2000 pen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, tuiggoline said:

Today I dropped a Lamy 2000.

I was about to buy a replacement unit, when I thought "can I repair this by myself?" So I tried to do so. I bent the nib back into position, but the tines are now horribly splayed. What's worse, one side is longer than the other (one tine was bent more than the other). I tried to push the nib from the underside, but that bent it even further down, and when I bend it back up it just becomes horribly spliced again.

So, can someone tell me whether it is possible to repair this pen, and if so, how? If not, I will just buy a replacement unit.

Thanks

Hi,  it is possible to repair gold nibs. But it is better if DIY repair attempts are not made to it, that can do more harm than good. 

Greg Minuskin in USA does nib repairs.

A new nib used to cost 70USD but it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Depending on the repair quote plus shipping etc you can decide whether buying a new pen is cheaper.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Lamy 2000 spare nib €82 at Appelboom.  Sometimes available at Martini Auctions.

Yeah I do know some places where I can buy new nib units, but first I want to try repairing it myself. I know that this sounds impossible (and probably is) but I still want to try myself.

38 minutes ago, tuiggoline said:

Yeah I do know some places where I can buy new nib units, but first I want to try repairing it myself. I know that this sounds impossible (and probably is) but I still want to try myself.

But you don't need to try it first, if obviously you can afford to buy a new Lamy 2000 14K gold nib or an entire new pen in that model as a replacement. As long as you keep the damaged nib instead of discarding it, you can always play with repairing it yourself (and not worry too much about not succeeding) later, without letting that project get in the way of having a properly functioning writing instrument in the meantime.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, tuiggoline said:

I know that this sounds impossible (and probably is) but I still want to try myself.

This may help:

Add lightness and simplicate.

11 hours ago, tuiggoline said:

but I still want to try myself

Great. First step is to take the nib off the pen. Try to get a “ nib block” from David Nishimura. He sells plastic ones that are cheaper. You need this as a good base to reshape the nib. Go to pentooling and buy a couple of nib burnishers. It’s a matter of undoing the bends and relieving the creases. With gold nibs most of the times a near perfect repair can be done. Good luck. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I dropped a Lamy 2000.  I adjusted the nib so that it writes.  The formerly extra fine nib is now a fine.  But it writes smoothly.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

dropped mine (that slippery makrolon!) after losing the clutch ring.  colleague put some pliers on to straighten the tines (failed), finally sent it off to gena salorino for a fix as i had another pen needing attention.  lessons learnt - #1 dont lose the clutch ring  and hold the pen by its cap, #2 small lamy 2000 nibs = not a good choice for your first go at nib repair. 

After dropping my pen I realigned the tines with my fingernails.  Thus took time and patience.  I suspect there are directions in the Nibs topic, but they might be old.  This process took me weeks.  I wasn't willing to spend on a new nib or a repair.  I do like to do stuff myself.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.