How to change curvature of nib?

Spatil

Hello, a few months back I bought a kanwrite desire ( F nib in friction fit section) which writes fine and also bought some spare nibs of different point size to try them (yes, I am pretty much a newbie) but all of them had a flow issue. Back then I started a thread in the forum but it didn't work so I let it be. Today while cleaning the pen I decided to compare the original nib and the spare ones. I found that each and every spare nib was more curved than the original. I suspect this may be causing the flow issue due to improper nib and feed contact. So can it be rectified at home or is it a manufacturing aspect because I don't want to unnecessarily deform the nib and ruin it.

IMG_20210915_111001(1).jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Spatil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Spatil said:

because I don't want to unnecessarily deform the nib and ruin it.

you are right. you don't want to modify the nib as that will destroy it, but you have to make the feed conform to the taper of the nib.

Before I tell you more, what specific pen are you using and post a pic of its feed.

ETA:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/361608-how-to-rectify-splaying-of-nib-on-plastic-feed/?do=findComment&comment=4453517

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

1 hour ago, hari317 said:

Before I tell you more, what specific pen are you using and post a pic of its feed.

The pen is kanwrite desire 35 with ebonite friction fit feed and kanwrite #6 nibs.IMG_20210916_101530.thumb.jpg.ac8cf98e1c32b96d87d9b4218ee3f79e.jpg

20 minutes ago, Spatil said:

kanwrite #6 nibs.

kanwrite sells two versions of its 35mm nibs. One for fitting over plastic feed and other for fitting over ebonite feed. Confirm with them if you have the correct version that is designed for fitting over ebonite feeds.

If you are stuck with these nibs, then you can conform the feed to the nib. Assemble the nib and feed in section and gently heat the nib feed area alone with a heat gun or a hair drier. take care to rotate the nib and feed and you heat it.. Once the feed is hot to thew touch, form the feeder to the nib. Inspect the nib slit once you are done. It should be nice and tapering down to the nib tip. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

1 hour ago, hari317 said:

Confirm with them if you have the correct version that is designed for fitting over ebonite feeds.

Mr. Awasthi told, they should be for ebonite feed.

And if I conform the feed do I also have to adjust the original nib for greater curvature? Or is it like, pick one of the nib, conform the feed according to it and leave the rest out of it?

1 minute ago, Spatil said:

Mr. Awasthi told, they should be for ebonite feed.

And if I conform the feed do I also have to adjust the original nib for greater curvature? Or is it like, pick one of the nib, conform the feed according to it and leave the rest out of it?

when you fit the original nib back in, you will have to again reshape the feed to it. In this case the nib is like a foot and the feed is like a shoe. We can adjust the shoe as per the foot, not vice versa. :)

actually this is why nib units evolved. A nib unit is nothing but a properly mated nib and feed in a housing. Whenever one wants to change the nib, there is no extra work involved. Just remove one nib unit and install the replacement. No adjustments required. 

42 minutes ago, hari317 said:

actually this is why nib units evolved. A nib unit is nothing but a properly mated nib and feed in a housing. Whenever one wants to change the nib, there is no extra work involved. Just remove one nib unit and install the replacement. No adjustments required. 

Then they are worth their price over so much hassle. Unfortunately ebonite feed was only available in friction fit option and I wanted to give it a try after hearing it's praises for better flow. But I will give a try to conform with EF nib to control its flow.