Which Platinum pens are available with Preppy-style 0.2mm nib?

Intensity

I know that the Preppy series only offers the 0.2mm extra fine nib in the basic red, blue, and black transparent bodies.  The new decorated Preppy series seems to be limited to 0.3mm.  Are there any other Platinum pens that use the 0.2mm Preppy nib?

My Preppy that I bought in Japan has been a disappointment in plastic quality.  It cracked almost immediately where the barrel is threaded, and now I can see lots of stress fractures on the barrel.  I’m super careful with my pens and never overtightened this one—in fact it’s only been inked up 4 times total with accent colors to be used very occasionally, just sitting on my writing desk.  Hoping for that 0.2mm nib in something more sturdy.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• A Smug Dill

• essayfaire

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I'm aware.

Actually, now I remember there is one other Platinum product that has that type of 02 nib:

https://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/en/products/detail/?pid=2256

I bought one of those pens in red three years ago, and its nib (not marked 02, 03, 05, EF, F or M) is now sitting in one of my black Preppy pens.

7 hours ago, Intensity said:

Hoping for that 0.2mm nib in something more sturdy.

So put that nib into a Platinum Plaisir! It isn't the nib and attached feed that are compromised on your Preppy; and so it doesn't cost you more than the price of a new Plaisir to end up with a sturdy pen fitted with an/that 02 nib.

I bought eighteen Platinum Preppy pens from Cult Pens, recently when I was able to triple-stack promotional discounts, all in black (as the blue-black version was sold out) with 02 — which I do not believe means 0.2mm, by the way, much the same as an Sakura Pigma Micron 02 fineliner is not spec'ed to produce a 0.2mm line — nibs, with the intent of using some of them as nib donors for my Prefounte and Plaisir pens.

Edited by A Smug Dill
Now I remember there is one, and that I have one

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

44 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Actually, now I remember there is one other Platinum product that has that type of 02 nib:

https://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/en/products/detail/?pid=2256

I bought one of those pens in red three years ago, and its nib (not marked 02, 03, 05, EF, F or M) is now sitting in one of my black Preppy pens.

That's the only one I know of.  Perhaps you would consider the Pilot Kakuno?  The shape is different, but the plastic is pretty durable and they are available in an EF.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I do not believe means 0.2mm, by the way, much the same as an Sakura Pigma Micron 02 fineliner is not spec'ed to product a 0.2mm line — nibs, with the intent of using some of them as nib donors for my Prefounte and Plaisir pens.

Yes, I also noticed that right away, how broad the 0.2mm Preppy line is.  Noticeably wider than my Pilot VP and Sailor 14K and 21K EF nibs, as wide as Sailor F nibs.  It writes pretty well in reverse in a proper extra fine line. 

But I do like the short-length nib and that I can grip it close to the nib for more control, also the good vacuum sealing mechanism, and the fact that I can buy a couple to actually carry with me and not worry about them much.  I have some dark inks that I don't like to have drying out, as they turn to near-black in a fair number of my other pens over time (the exceptions being my two Pelikan M101Ns, which have incredibly good sealing and the ink more or less stays the same on the feed for months).  My one preppy has been okay in that regard, not as good as my Pelikan pens, but I think that's because of the smaller ink capacity vs. volume of enclosed air in the cap.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

By the way, something I wanted to address about the change of the plastic used to make Preppy to be less cracking-prone a few years back, supposedly.  My preppy was purchased in June of 2019 in Japan at a large stationery store.  Presumably at that point the material change had already taken place?  

There are no cracks on my smoke-black Preppy cap, but there are lots of microfractures on the barrel and an actual long crack on the barrel at the threading, parallel to the length of the body.  The crack developed almost on the first use, and the microfractures actually appeared while the pen was sitting unused on the desk in a pen box for a few months.  One day I used it and the pen was fine other than the crack, and the next time I took it out to expect it was all an odd cracked glass-like under a desk lamp.  Or maybe the fractures just became more noticeable then.