News from Chinese lacquer workshop to pen lovers all over the world

Zhizhai_Lacquer

2 hours ago, Zhizhai_Lacquer said:

Hello Helen 350,

We aim to change the current non-traditional, profit-oriented lacquer culture.  Your joy is our joy.  Thank you for your support!

Zhizhai

XiaoGuan

30841D7E-EED5-485C-9109-ECACA17C4516.jpeg

F8558040-23CF-4976-B46B-3BDDED5098E5.jpeg

Really lovely.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zhizhai_Lacquer

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• txomsy

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 10:30 AM, Carrau said:

Really lovely.

On 9/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, ethernautrix said:

I don't have anything to add, but I am following this topic with great interest.

Beautiful work.

Dear Carrau, 
Dear ethernautrix,

Thank you for your interest in lacquer culture!

We are back from the conference. The heritage of Japanese lacquer work "蒔絵MAKIE"  in Chusonji Temple was wonderful, so we would like to explain the complicated technique of lacquer work if we have the opportunity.This reply can be lengthy, so we'll break it down into bullet points for wood, paper&cloth, and ceramics.

While we`re writing long sentences, please enjoy the scenery of Japan!

Zhizhai

XiaoGuan

https://www.instagram.com/zhizhai_lacquer/

IMG_1626.PNG

IMG_1629.PNG

IMG_1630.PNG

On 9/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, txomsy said:

I am glad that your following is growing, it is always nice to have more players in the field, and you work seems interesting and appealing.

On the other hand, I am by no means and expert on the techniques and do not know their limits. I would like to ask what are (in your opinion) the best materials to work with and to get out the best of your technique, as this may provide guidance for would-be customers in choosing a substrate pen.

Is it easy to work on, say metal, wood or resins/plastics? Which of them are easier or better to work with?

And a second question, am I right in interpreting that you might consider lacquering other items (other than pens) as well? Some people might feel attracted by the idea of having several items with matching lacquer.

Hello, dear txomsy

We will Answer your question first. And I will post the detailed reason. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact us. 

Excellent material ranking*1
1, wood
2, cloth and paper
3, porcelain
4, resins
5, metal and glass

Easy-to-paint ranking
1,resins/plastics
2, wood
3,metal

1,resins/plastics
Since the resin does not absorb lacquer, there is no need to worry about the quality of the base. Therefore, the lacquer shaft is completed by applying a single color lacquer shaft several times. It's very easy. However, it is very difficult to cure lacquer, so if an amateur applies lacquer in a single color, it will be uneven. Since it is the easiest, there is a tendency that there are few fake lacquer shafts that mix some liquid

2,wood
It is a versatile base that can be used with the simplest method of wiping"拭き漆". In fact, the technique of just wiping lacquer is not called a technique among lacquer artists. To handle wood lacquer ware, techniques such as the direction of wood grain, the type of wood, the degree of dryness of wood, and the strengthening of the base are required. Anyone can easily apply lacquer without considering the nature of the wood. However, craftsmen without knowledge of undercoating are not experts.

3,metal
Look closely for images of metal lacquer ware from most Japanese lacquer companies. Most are sprayed with a mechanical spray. This means that it is not real lacquer. If you mix chemicals with lacquer, you can easily apply it to metal. Applying real lacquer to metal or porcelain requires a special process. Without this equipment, most are fake. Therefore, most metal lacquer shafts are not lacquer. It takes the most effort of these three foundations.As a method, equipment for baking at high temperature is required. Another method is to apply lacquer on top of an expensive material such as gold foil or silver foil.

A good material is a material that has evidence that it has remained beautiful in its long history.

Zhizhai
XiaoGuan

On 9/18/2021 at 7:43 PM, txomsy said:

I am glad that your following is growing, it is always nice to have more players in the field, and you work seems interesting and appealing.

On the other hand, I am by no means and expert on the techniques and do not know their limits. I would like to ask what are (in your opinion) the best materials to work with and to get out the best of your technique, as this may provide guidance for would-be customers in choosing a substrate pen.

Is it easy to work on, say metal, wood or resins/plastics? Which of them are easier or better to work with?

And a second question, am I right in interpreting that you might consider lacquering other items (other than pens) as well? Some people might feel attracted by the idea of having several items with matching lacquer.

The answer to the second question is "we can apply anything except air and liquid". Since lacquer acts as an adhesive, basically anything can be applied. For example, it is used in various apply such as cars, guitars, iPhones, and accessories. Therefore, almost any stationery-related goods can be painted with lacquer. Porcelain and metal are characterized by being easier to peel off than wood. However, it is durable longer than human life. Porcelain and metals may be repaired more often by offspring, but these things are not a nervous thing.

Have a good day!

Zhizhai
XiaoGuan

About Wood base in lacquer history.

Q, Which foundation is the best?
A, The answer is "The best base is wood". This is because most of the lacquer ware that remains beautiful after a long time is the base of wood. Since wood absorbs lacquer, the wood itself is strengthened. Then, you can attach a cloth to increase the strength as much as you like. In addition, Craftsman know multiple wood processes, so the range of expression is very wide. Wood is the most stable material in all fields of durability, expressiveness, and color development.

-History of Lacquer
Wood-based lacquer ware has existed for 8000 years in current archaeological excavations. The use of human lacquer has been proven to have been made 12000 years ago.

The proof of the use of Japanese and Chinese lacquer ware is very close in time. Chinese woodworking techniques were passed on to Japan 1500years ago, and Japan developed its own gorgeous lacquer work "MAKIE". Most of this Makie lacquer ware is also made of wood. In Japan, "蒔絵" lacquer ware that draws gold and silver like a picture, and in China, ”変塗”"脱胎漆器” lacquer ware that is made by applying lacquer tens of times and hundreds of times has become established.

attached pics the oldest Chinese lacquerware and our woodworks.

Zhizhai

XiaoGuan

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Thank you so very much for your detailed answer, it is most useful and has dispelled my doubts.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

About the history of dry lacquer, cloth, and paper lacquerware

These techniques are one of the traditional techniques that China is good at. Historically, dry lacquer has a long history, China's lacquer resources are so abundant that a large amount of lacquer can be used, it is lighter than any lacquer ware because it is mostly composed of sap, and it can change its shape freely. There are various advantages.

However, unlike wood, it costs more than 10 times the price of regular lacquer ware due to the extravagant technique of solidifying a large amount of lacquer to make a vessel. For example, if a wood base lacquer ware costs $ 200, a lacquer ware of this technique will cost over $ 2000. The process is also very complicated by hand, and it is a technique that cannot rely on machines.

For this reason, Japan, which has a low lacquer self-sufficiency rate, has developed a wonderful culture of like lacquer painting by combining abundant gold and silver. On the other hand, in China, the technique of solidifying lacquer using the amount of lacquer and shaping it, or painting it for decades and carving a layer of lacquer has become a tradition of country.

These are just a few steps. After making a mold with viscosity etc., stick a piece of paper or cloth. Apply lacquer for the base on it. Repeat this process many times. After that, it is a technique of applying 0.03 mm lacquer tens of times and hundreds of times to make it as thick as wood or pottery. These take a lot of time, but this lacquer ware is robust and remains beautiful for hundreds and thousands of years.

The technical terms of Japanese and Chinese lacquerware have different meanings even if they are the same Chinese characters. To be exact, this dry lacquerware called as ”脱胎漆器”.

*All of these images are part of the production process. It will take a long time to complete.
*It has nothing to do with the topic of fountain pens, but I will describe it because it is a decisive difference between Japanese and Chinese lacquer techniques*

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1628.PNG

IMG_1627.PNG

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG