What old model would you resurect from the ashes?

Waltz For Zizi

Pilot Murex.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• como

• gyasko

• Checklist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, como said:

Long window but comes with a bottle of black lacquer DIY?

Later model 139s had short windows.

1074680355_ScreenShot2021-09-15at10_23_03.thumb.png.559e15e039fc742f7b93c6cbed4cfaae.png

Add lightness and simplicate.

@Karmachanic That's also nice. Long window, short window... the point is for MB to bring out a 139. Or for Parker to do a Duofold Senior flat-top raised single band. Seeing what Parker has been doing, I have no such hope any more.

In the interim we ask our favorite pen maker for a homage.  Or maybe an Astoria for the fortunate ones.

Add lightness and simplicate.

As close as I can come to a 139.

The following sleeker  derivative of a 139 was in large size often Writer edition pen forms.

The standard sized  MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-54 only) semi-flex KOB....which I have. In spite of it's brass guts making it a tad back heavy it won my then noobie 20 pen balance test. Meisterclass clip. S6TQikY.jpgbYWN5De.jpg

I do suggest the regular MB 234 1/2 as cheaper.

Second on my then balance test....I don't have the years to do a 70- or more balance test any more.

Thin medium-long Geha 725 semi-flex. Made from '65-6 or so -72 with rolled gold trim. Cost DM 360 or $90 back when a P-75 cost a whopping $22...in silver money. qWBcZxy.jpg

The little curved lines on the clip add so much class. hZrR3oq.jpg

Is a very sleek and classy black and gold pen.ogInSF2.jpg

Nib picture with permission of Penborad.de

fqsYWy5.jpg

P-75 surprised me by being #3.....medium-long 400NN maxi-semi-flex OF was # 4.

The standard sized  400 is just the slightest tad less well balanced, (took me a couple of years to decide that.) You can improve your modern post '97 by putting a semi-vintage or vintage nib on it.

These were long after my balance test.

Good BCHR pens. These are not Osmia, but Boehler when the two brothers split the firm Osmia in '38. Boehler used the same model numbers but  didn't make the plainer pens they also use to make.

RfIkpTy.jpg

Good thing there is a vintage market....in on the whole outside of Japanese pens, the old nibs were better on the old pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

44 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

As close as I can come to a 139.

The following sleeker  derivative of a 139 was in large size often Writer edition pen forms.

The standard sized  MB 234 1/2 Deluxe (52-54 only) semi-flex KOB....which I have. In spite of it's brass guts making it a tad back heavy it won my then noobie 20 pen balance test. Meisterclass clip. S6TQikY.jpgbYWN5De.jpg

I do suggest the regular MB 234 1/2 as cheaper.

I call this model baby 139, because of the shape and clip. I like the brass piston very much. They were well made robust pistons, and give a little heft to an otherwise rather small pen. And much more affordable (I know, smaller, I already said 😀).

I would go for a modern 139 if Montblanc can stick to the original appearance (flat top, clip, two tone cap rings), even if they have to just make it look like a telescopic piston knob but actually use a normal piston. A little premium over the regular 149 price, like the Calligraphy, I can tolerate that. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:58 AM, Checklist said:

Parker 61 Capillary Fill.  Classy and sleek, with an innovative filling mechanism.

Absolutely! A winner. But not resurrected in the style of the 2021 P.51. :)

David

7 hours ago, david-p said:

But not resurrected in the style of the 2021 P.51.

The 51 was imitated, not resurrected.

That's all I got to say about that.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

Parker just exploiting the fame of the 51 with their so call Parker 51 2021 , its no where even remotely a P51 , even Hero and Wing Sung do better on this regard

19 minutes ago, Checklist said:

The 51 was imitated, not resurrected.

That's all I got to say about that.

Well, yes; but what I meant was that it was a badly botched attempt at resurrection! :)

4 hours ago, david-p said:

Well, yes; but what I meant was that it was a badly botched attempt at resurrection! :)

Rachel's voice was grating, full of dirt. "Darling," it said.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I wonder if the new 51 would have been better received if they simply called it the Parker 21 instead. At least it could have been the 21 in 2021.