Please ID this 1984 Pilot Maki-e pen

PithyProlix

3 hours ago, DeScribe said:

That's correct. The artwork is by Master Kyusai Yoshida in his earlier days which he signed off as 久山. I think I also saw this explained in one of Namiki book. Congratulations to owning a nice piece of Master Yoshida's earlier artwork!

Thank you for the confirmation. Do you happen to remember which book?

I am proud to have this pen!

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Maki-eMagic

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

• A Smug Dill

On 5/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, PithyProlix said:

I am proud

"proud" why that? 

"Happy", ok.

Maki -e is avery expensive road to go, but it is one that joins art with writing instruments[not the only one]. Enjoy your new pen.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if there is anything that distinguishes "Deluxe Two Cranes", model number DS-15000PS-T, from "Two Cranes" D-10000PS-SK, or the two corresponding Goldfish models, from each other besides the extra density & size of the sprinkled gold 'clouds'? WRT the Goldfish models, the deluxe version was 25,000 JPY versus the regular 10,000 JPY - quite a large difference in price. It would seem difficult to justify the difference in price just based on that, yes?

I think I prefer the look of the ones with smaller 'clouds', i.e. more black background showing, like mine.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, PithyProlix said:

I think I prefer the look of the ones with smaller 'clouds', i.e. more black background showing, like mine.

spacer.png

I think you're hotlinking to an image hosted on a platform that expressly forbids it (according to the embedded error message written in simplified Chinese in the placeholder image).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any photos of the box this model came in, please? I suppose it would be Paulownia wood like other urushi pens but I'm curious about the actual design.

Mine did not come with a box and I'd like to get something appropriate for it.

[EDIT] Never mind - I found a NOS vintage Pilot Deluxe maki-e pen on eBay. I've swiped the photo with the box - hope that's ok ...

large.850493881_s-l1600(42).jpg.9e907694033aae970e8ef28bf370291e.jpg

Edited by PithyProlix
Found a photo of the box and added it.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:37 PM, PithyProlix said:

spacer.png

On 7/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I think you're hotlinking to an image hosted on a platform that expressly forbids it (according to the embedded error message written in simplified Chinese in the placeholder image).

TL;DR: Just skip this post. :D

Sorry about waiting so long to address this. It turns out that the page on the qq.com site hotlinked the catalog images from a different site and, now, that image on the qq.com page shows the same as above. I suspect what happened is that, when someone clicked the image here on FPN, the originating site detected that it was being hotlinked out and blocked access to the image. I'm not sure how FPN deals with time zone differences and how it displays time but you might note that @A Smug Dill's post appears to follow just a few minutes after mine - likely someone clicked the image here in the time period between our posts.

But, whatevahs :D : I had the foresight to download the catalog images before the one above was blocked. 

My point was to show the differences between the "Deluxe" versions (side note: curious that they used the adjective 'Deluxe' with a model named 'Deluxe' ...), which are shown on this page and have lots of gold sprinkles compared to the 'lesser' versions. Again, to my eye, the ones with fewer gold sprinkles are more attractive (see catalog image a few posts back).

large.484969864_640(13).jpg.08390e1476a93a27276d0414378d6397.jpg