Kanpur writers - Desire, Heritage and Legacy

Gunkanes

Great review! Thank you very much!

Based on this, I am seriously considering getting a Titanium Flex nib. I've never written with a flex, and just want some line variation. Looks like the Titanium Flex is better than the steel one. Their nib options on the site also list an Ultra Flex. Any idea how that compares to the ones above?

Do you think I can fit the Heritage nib unit into a Ranga Bamboo? Or Do I need to remove the nib from the feed and assemble it again? The Ranga Bamboo can be ordered with a flex nib, and I believe they are made b Kanwrite. Wondering if I should do that, or order the nibs separately from Kanwrite.

(Aside, I went to college in Kanpur, so this makes me really proud!)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gunkanes

• K Singh

• Cursive Child

• lascosas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, Cursive Child said:

Based on this, I am seriously considering getting a Titanium Flex nib. I've never written with a flex, and just want some line variation. Looks like the Titanium Flex is better than the steel one. Their nib options on the site also list an Ultra Flex. Any idea how that compares to the ones above?

Do you think I can fit the Heritage nib unit into a Ranga Bamboo? Or Do I need to remove the nib from the feed and assemble it again? The Ranga Bamboo can be ordered with a flex nib, and I believe they are made b Kanwrite. Wondering if I should do that, or order the nibs separately from Kanwrite.

Titanium flex is better than Steel, mainly because it's softer. But is a WET nib, the steel is better if you like dry and fine writting. 

1828309326_KampurisWET.thumb.jpg.412489d05ae854eb1d28b996b0bcb35c.jpg

Takes time to dry... did i remark that is WET? For me is a dream, but not for everyone. 

154116527_PilotCustomHeritage912FA10.thumb.jpg.cf12c619a17bf8965219e0273be4a5f7.jpg

For a first flex fountain pen, i do recomend you the PILOT HERITAGE 912 FALCON NIB#10. But only gets its full potential with ebonite feed from FlexibleNibFactory (https://flexiblenib.com/store/product/912en-pilot-912-fa-replacement-feed-2-slit-ink-slot-black-ebonite/). 2 slits are more than enough. Buy the 921 HERITAGE directly from Amazon.co.jp, it's really inexpensive in this way. 

>Based on this, I am seriously considering getting a Titanium Flex nib. I've never written with a flex, and just want some line variation.

The point of Kanpur nibs is that they are for daily use AND have some tremendous fun, expresive and usefull line variation. In the same nib you can go from EF (inverted writing) to Bold. 

>Looks like the Titanium Flex is better than the steel one. Their nib options on the site also list an Ultra Flex. Any idea how that compares to the ones above?

They are different horses. I didn't like the ultra flex, the Pilot Falcon Nib #10 is the way to go (or Waterman vintage, but that's another history with other severe drawbacks).  Kanwriters nibs are primal/raw ones make for writing in anything with a relentless flow of their ebonite feeders. 

If you order fron Kanwriters, just order the cheap DESIRE with ultraflex just to test it. The definitive cheap ultraflex is a Jinhao 750 with a calligraphy nib that you have to dip in ink to write and needs cleaning after use.

>Do you think I can fit the Heritage nib unit into a Ranga Bamboo? Or Do I need to remove the nib from the feed and assemble it again? The Ranga Bamboo can be ordered with a flex nib, and I believe they are made b Kanwrite. Wondering if I should do that, or order the nibs separately from Kanwrite.

I think so, i fitted it on a Jowo#6 ebonite combo for a Ranga Giant 9B. I walked all the journey that you are considering to walk, my recomendation is not to go on. Indeed the Kanwrite ultraflex nib and the Ranga ultraflex are tha same, and they need to much pressure to be nice to be used. Fountain Pen revolution has a better and softer UltraFlex, that i think is too make from Kanwriters. The difference is that the metal is thinner compared to the rougher ultra flex nib that can be orderer from Kanwriters. 

Flex needs LOTS OF INK. Even if you get a good flow with the Ranga Bamboo and a Jowo#6 ebonite feed, the cartridge wont last more than a minute. The only option is going eyedropper and that's another risk of your wife/husband killing you slowly/or not so slowly. Don't go full-flex without lot's of ink (Opus 88 demo + jowo#6 ebonite + Vintage flex nib). 

PXL_20211211_232437847.thumb.jpg.b732998eaa8477509d3797085cb203fe.jpg

This is my Kanpur pack (Lihil Lab smart fit). 

PXL_20211211_232529237.thumb.jpg.60694ca8949ef881b799fbdb47ea5f4a.jpg

- Kanwrite Heritage + BB ZOOM

- Kanwrite Legacy Black Ebonite + Titanium M nib

- Kanwrite Legacy Acryllic + Steel flex (red ink)

- Kanwrite Legacy Red Black Ebonite + Steel flex (blue ink)

I really recomend you the BB ZOOM, there is nothing like this on market. Kanwriters are not refined fountain pens, needs maintenance (silicon grease in the joints) and often stain the cap. But i DO LOVE them. 

But if you are really looking for flex, go Pilot Falcon. I own 2 x Pilot 823 with Falcon Nibs #15 and 1 x Pilot Heritage 912 with Fa #10 (the #10 flex more, but is not meant for daily use, compared to Falcon nib #15 that is a joy for writing). 

Thank you very much for the detailed guidance @Gunkanes!

I am looking for some line variation in daily use. I think I am looking for semi-flex as opposed to flex. Write fairly fast except when writing my journal, but don't apply a lot of pressure naturally.

I see your point now about needing a wet feed and therefore lots of ink capacity. I too love wet nibs and inks but not so much that it hinders daily work writing due to excessive dry times.

I ordered a Ranga Bamboo with the Flex nib - the only one available, they didn't have the ultra-flex. Will use it and potentially get a FPR Ultra Flex unit or look at the Falcon as you suggest, if I want more flex. The units have plastic feeds, and will need to buy a separate ebonite one if I need it.

• 1 month later...

I took your guidance, @Gunkanes and got a Kanwrite Legacy with Titanium UltraFlex and also a spare BB Zoom and a Left Oblique Steel nib.

Love the pen. Feel is comfortable and the flow is excellent. All of you mentioned that the Flex takes a lot of pressure, and that has been my experience as well.

This has made itself into my daily writing rotation! It is a bit toothy though. I am trying it with wetter inks to make it go better.

The BB zoom is nice, haven't written much with it. The Left Oblique is very smooth, but not crisp or well defined. I supposed stubs are like that.

Will post a more detailed review later, with pictures.

Great review. Kanwrite is such a fantastic brand and they're always getting better. What I love is how seriously they take this line of work as a company, improving their quality and being so reliable

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 5:53 PM, Cursive Child said:

I took your guidance, @Gunkanes and got a Kanwrite Legacy with Titanium UltraFlex and also a spare BB Zoom and a Left Oblique Steel nib.

Love the pen. Feel is comfortable and the flow is excellent. All of you mentioned that the Flex takes a lot of pressure, and that has been my experience as well.

This has made itself into my daily writing rotation! It is a bit toothy though. I am trying it with wetter inks to make it go better.

The BB zoom is nice, haven't written much with it. The Left Oblique is very smooth, but not crisp or well defined. I supposed stubs are like that.

Will post a more detailed review later, with pictures.

photo6037612562700417234.thumb.jpg.c0567bbe4f1909190a239a2a7496dd2d.jpg

photo6037612562700417235.thumb.jpg.5cd54ea62480db12112b3dd62191d4c6.jpg

I am so happy for you! Incidentally, today i have been using Kanwrite Legacy BB Zoom. I do love that extra broad (BBB) writing. I like the Kanwrite BB too, but the BB Zoom is impossible to find in Europe or Japan (maybe Special Sailor Nibs i think). 

In one of my legacy, i upgraded the Titanium ultraflex nib for a vintage Parker Duolfold (Made in USA). Installation is very easy and the flow and humidity make the nib dance full of ink, even with a dry ink like oxblood. 

I am going to make a new order to Kanwriters for several Legacy Ebonite Bodies with two more BB Zoom, and BB architects. The body is perfect for me and the old vintage nibs perform exceptionally well thanks to the amount of ink provided by the ebonite feeders. And because of this insane flow i don't carry them with me in the pockets. I learnt the lessons after some accidents... 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, Gunkanes said:

photo6037612562700417234.thumb.jpg.c0567bbe4f1909190a239a2a7496dd2d.jpg

photo6037612562700417235.thumb.jpg.5cd54ea62480db12112b3dd62191d4c6.jpg

I am so happy for you! Incidentally, today i have been using Kanwrite Legacy BB Zoom. I do love that extra broad (BBB) writing. I like the Kanwrite BB too, but the BB Zoom is impossible to find in Europe or Japan (maybe Special Sailor Nibs i think). 

In one of my legacy, i upgraded the Titanium ultraflex nib for a vintage Parker Duolfold (Made in USA). Installation is very easy and the flow and humidity make the nib dance full of ink, even with a dry ink like oxblood. 

I am going to make a new order to Kanwriters for several Legacy Ebonite Bodies with two more BB Zoom, and BB architects. The body is perfect for me and the old vintage nibs perform exceptionally well thanks to the amount of ink provided by the ebonite feeders. And because of this insane flow i don't carry them with me in the pockets. I learnt the lessons after some accidents... 

Nice! You've given me another idea again! I have a Parker Moire with a nice flex nib, but the body is too small for me.... :)

Meanwhile, not anywhere as good as your photos,

image.thumb.png.ba91c09968c6dac2302ce74a24e09a2a.png

Your calligraphy is stunning! i am so jealous! I love Legacy Kanwriter model because i like big bodies and usually they are really small. 

• 3 months later...

New order to Kanwrite fountain pens and again top service from Sandeep. This company is so underrated. 

This is the work of master craftsmen. They impro ved from the last order. The ultra flex are even better and the BB Architect is outstanding. 

PXL_20220511_183259728.thumb.jpg.886df30b2fe1185ea6879b86ad624b3f.jpg

PXL_20220511_183322457.thumb.jpg.dd3440701739d96c39299460ad8666be.jpg

PXL_20220512_214303376.thumb.jpg.f27e40879d4d7d8ed4b878d59e244d97.jpg

PXL_20220512_214337997.thumb.jpg.fcb2550c23b3fa256af8b02b71c117f1.jpg

PXL_20220510_164133937.thumb.jpg.89fd66fd73cf2fecd327a3d398ab0b97.jpg

4 hours ago, Gunkanes said:

This is the work of master craftsmen. They impro ved from the last order. The ultra flex are even better and the BB Architect is outstanding. 

Wonderful. I too have good experience with all my kanwrite nibs. Look forward to their #9 nib pen which they are supposed to launch next month.

We already prepared a joint purchase of the new #9 model and are on the waiting list. It will be the size of Pilot Custom Urushi. Hopefully they can implement a nice gold nib. With a #9 size it can be magnificent at a very moderate price.

IMG_20220513_103254_698.jpg

IMG_20220513_103252_075.jpg

IMG_20220513_103249_282.jpg

IMG_20220513_103247_392.jpg

IMG_20220513_103244_890.jpg

Very nice!

I suppose you are getting your information directly from Mr. Awasthi?

54 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Very nice!

I suppose you are getting your information directly from Mr. Awasthi?

A friend of mine is in India and keeps me updated. I think this info comes from the Calcuta pen show 2022.

I completely lost the hope in new dream nibs but the India market is giving me what I want and I will support them.

Of course I do love my Pilot Custom Urushi and will buy the new King Of Pen Naginata Sailor collections. Bit this Kanwriter company is so special, the write feeling is outstanding. Anyone who develop and make nibs will have my support. 

IMG_20220513_163728_557.jpg

IMG_20220513_163712_797.jpg

IMG_20220513_163710_059.jpg

IMG_20220513_163708_476.jpg

IMG_20220513_163705_511.jpg

IMG_20220513_163703_315.jpg

IMG_20220513_163701_366.jpg

IMG_20220513_163658_553.jpg

16 hours ago, Gunkanes said:

With a #9 size it can be magnificent at a very moderate price.

Yes. It looks good from the pics. Personally I wish there was no step-down between the barrel and section, but it's not a deal-breaker. 

It would be great if they can sell standalone #9nib units as well. Then we can get our own custom pens made around that lovely huge nib 🙂

I have a basic question about Kanwriters product portfolio. I couldn't find anything on their website that would clarify the difference between Heritage and Legacy lineups, or maybe they did but I didn't understand. What differentiates these two product lines? Why is Heritage half the price of Legacy when they use the same nib systems? Is it the body design, dimensions etc. that makes for such a jump in price? Am I missing something?

I just ordered a Desire with an F nib from them, to see how it writes, before I invest more with them.

On the left is the LEGACY model. Only Black and Red/Black are made of indian ebonite, the other versions are acrilic at the same price. Go for the Ebonite without any doubt. The hardest to design part in fountain pens is the feeder system and this feeder system is straight forward (basic), that's why is so amazing. But the full raw ink suply comes to the cost of (sometimes) ink spilling the cap. In the ebonite versions, is not so problematic. 

PXL_20220515_152247062~2.jpg

PXL_20220515_152430883.jpg

The converter in the Legacy can be replaced and can be purchased separately. 

Both are really nice pens, but Legacy is bigger, better and more confortable for long runs. 

Legacy can't be posted but Heritage can. Heritage is just amazing, but for my big hands, Legacy is the way.  With the ultra flex is even more obvious that Legacy is bbetter writing platform. i have some other nice and expensive pens, but always keep returning to Kanwriter Legacy

PXL_20220515_162137738~2.jpg

PXL_20220515_162231555~2.jpg

• 6 months later...

As I write more and more with the Kanwrite Legacy, I am really enjoying it. With the right ink, it's adds so much fun to daily work! The Titanium Flex has become my standard nib for it. I usually use it with Diamine Ancient Copper, and the shading is outstanding.

With a drier Herbin Orange Indien: