Ink Converter for Pilot E95S

tooloose-letrek

My E95S converter broke and I was advised to replace it with a Pilot Con-40.  I don't know if this isn't the right converter to use or if I have a defective part - or???  The pen is only drawing up about 1/8-inch of ink.  Also, though the pen usually flows nicely, is scratching the paper - not enough ink flow.  The E95S is the shorter barrel and I'm wondering if the proper replacement isn't the CON-20 (discontinued) or the Con-B, with a squeeze bulb like the original?  Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tooloose-letrek

• A Smug Dill

• DimHelmet

• Karmachanic

21 minutes ago, tooloose-letrek said:

My E95S converter broke and I was advised to replace it with a Pilot Con-40.  I don't know if this isn't the right converter to use

It is, according to https://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/elite95s/.

22 minutes ago, tooloose-letrek said:

or if I have a defective part - or???  The pen is only drawing up about 1/8-inch of ink.

See https://www.pilot.co.jp/support/fountain/40.html. You should not expect to fill the entire cavity of the CON-40 with ink using the part in the manner advised by the manufacturer, even though you'd probably hope/want to surpass the stated 0.4ml ink capacity. You can either just accept the limit, or syringe fill it before connecting it to the post that goes around the feed inside the gripping section.

28 minutes ago, tooloose-letrek said:

The E95S is the shorter barrel and I'm wondering if the proper replacement isn't the CON-20 (discontinued)

The proper / recommended converter to use is the CON-40, although you could use a CON-20 as an alternative for what you may consider a superior experience.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks for the response.  I think the item I have is defective.  I have been using this pens for years and it is a very smooth writing experience but now with not even a half page of writing the it is running out of ink and the nib is scratching the paper.  The video I watched showed a technique of a second fill, first pushing the air out of the chamber.  I'm thinking the of the possibility there is some issue with the plunger part that sucks up the ink - that it might not be a proper fit and is leaking air on the intake. 

Thanks.  I found the old one and I can still use it.  There a small thin piece of metal over the squeeze sack missing but it still takes in a good supply of ink.

• 3 months later...

I use a cartridge in mine and just refill it with a syringe. Way more capacity than the converter and I can see how much ink I have left unlike the CON-40.

I'm a big fan of refilled cartridges, you can even carefully replace the seal after filling, in order to have a spare ready whenever you might need one. Resealed carts do seem to dry down a bit over time though, so best to use them within 6 months to a year of filling.

The CON-B ought to work as well, it's equivalent to the CON-20, just cheaper looking and currently available for under $10.

My CON-40 experience is similar to yours, the worst part is that when clipped it in a pocket tip up, sometimes all the ink migrates to the piston side of the divider insert, then you have to tap or shake the pen to get any ink in the feed. It's a terrible design!

I extracted the inner ring and ball bearings from mine, on the theory that it can't work any worse than it does already... Haven't tried it with ink yet, but it definitely fills better now when tested with water. 

**after the metal basket and four ball bearings were removed from my CON-40, it draws at least 20% more ink than it did with these parts in place, it also no longer traps ink on the piston side of the ink chamber. I have no idea what Pilot was thinking when they added these "features". It's still the lowest capacity Pilot converter by a fair margin though :(

David-

So many restoration projects...

• 3 weeks later...

I have an E95S fine. It uses the Con-40. I don’t believe the Con-50 will fit. The Con-40 has a pretty small capacity. In order to get a maximum fill, I use a syringe. The E95S is a nice pen with a unique nib. 

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

On 1/6/2022 at 3:37 AM, awa54 said:

The CON-B ought to work as well,

It does.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.