KIM Regular Pen

K Singh

Received KIM Regular Pen today.

It's my first KIM pen and here are my impressions on it.

The pen comes with an extra nib and a plastic eyedropper.

large.1.jpg.5d925b928e423448ff1529c93afb569e.jpg

Uncapped pic.

large.2.jpg.c63722d33920c2837d932d21e78c5bba.jpg

Comes with a dual-tone wality nib

large.4.jpg.cab00472e052487ba7171b0ec1e854f3.jpg

The feed. KIM are well-known for their in-house feed, but now they no longer seem to use them. I asked them if they can use the KIM feed, but they said they only had this feed.

large.3.jpg.a9fee70ea811c17d23255c193f29d08d.jpg

The section. Notice the ebonite particles at the bottom of the section. Similarly the cap, the barrel, everything had to be cleaned thoroughly as there were lot of particles.

I wish the seller had cleaned the pen before sending it.

large.5.jpg.7ff9ad4a53db3dc804ea5e6afae0d42b.jpg

Compared to a Wality 69t. Very similar in size.

large.6.jpg.75a32e0efeef2dfd79629f5f71b6d739.jpg

The section taken apart.

large.7.jpg.c1971d927dd0961e6417be6588176473.jpg

Overall, I feel a little underwhelmed by the pen. It took me 20-30 minutes to clean the pen thoroughly. Once cleaned the pen wrote fine.

The nib was slightly scratchy for a page or two, but then it evened out, so have no issues with the writing experience.

The pen on its own is fine, however the price of the pen makes it hard to recommend.

I got this for Rs.2500, which I think the pen is not able to justify. Had it been 1K less than this price it would have been fine I guess.

For the price, you can get a better pen from Woodex or Gama, or most of the Indian sellers in my opinion.

The pen is well-built though, and has triple-threaded sections, so the cap opens in one turn. That's the lone USP going for this pen.

So, that's all. If you have any questions feel free to ask me in the comments.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• K Singh

• Savit

• HartGummi

Congratulations on owning a piece of Indian pen history. Yes the prices have gone through the roof. Could not afford one when I made enquiries a few months back. But I have several Kims. All purchased when the pens were very reasonably priced. They did a series of custom work for me too. 
I feel somehow we ( some over enthusiastic pen nuts) dragged kim out of retirement from selling pens. Pens isn’t their main line anymore and they are not very keen either. ACR’s pens were sold by kim and also by shops in Mangalore. Hope this extra bit of info helps. 
best

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, hari317 said:

Congratulations on owning a piece of Indian pen history. Yes the prices have gone through the roof. Could not afford one when I made enquiries a few months back. But I have several Kims. All purchased when the pens were very reasonably priced. They did a series of custom work for me too. 
I feel somehow we ( some over enthusiastic pen nuts) dragged kim out of retirement from selling pens. Pens isn’t their main line anymore and they are not very keen either. ACR’s pens were sold by kim and also by shops in Mangalore. Hope this extra bit of info helps. 
best

hari

Thank you so much Hari. And appreciate all the information. 

Yes, I have seen some of your old posts on KIM pens. Your pens are very beautiful indeed. 

I would have been fine with the price hike if the pen was atleast larger in size. I interacted with Rafi Sir via whatsapp, and the responses were limited in nature and took time, as you said it's more of a side-business for them, so had to buy the pen just based on picture only.

I hate to disassemble the nib units of eyedroppered pens.

Often the nib and feed setting gets ruined. 

I too sent KIM a message over WhatsApp but their catalogue was underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, HartGummi said:

I hate to disassemble the nib units of eyedroppered pens.

Often the nib and feed setting gets ruined. 

I too sent KIM a message over WhatsApp but their catalogue was underwhelming. 

I too try to avoid disassembling pens if they already write perfectly. For this pen I had to do it in order to clean it thoroughly before use.

Yes, right now they only had two models.

I agree that Kim and Co ACR pens are quite good, and as of now, comparable (or even better) ebonite pens are made by others.

I owned one some years back, and gifted it to a friend. I was not very comfortable with eyedropper pens then.

I visited Kim and Co recently.  Though I didn't get the ACR ebonite pen, I bought a few others. Kim and Co has a nice collection of basic eyedropper Indian-made ink pens for sale. A lot of fellowship models, some wality acrylic models with different (not usually seen) colors, and a variety of made-in-china pens of good quality and colors. All sold at good prices.  Rafi also has a few waterman and sheaffer pens that he sells at discounted rates. He also has several 'giftable' ball/roller ball pens in all price ranges. I got some nice ball pens for gifting and for myself. 

He is primarily involved in optical frame business now. 

@bestillmysoul Thank you for all the information. I just wish they priced the Kim pens more reasonably though so that more people can buy it. I actually wanted their Jumbo model but it won't be available for next 6 months. Let's see.

18 minutes ago, K Singh said:

@bestillmysoul Thank you for all the information. I just wish they priced the Kim pens more reasonably though so that more people can buy it. I actually wanted their Jumbo model but it won't be available for next 6 months. Let's see.

Ya, true.... I'm also waiting for their jumbo model... but I may not buy it with current prices, and save up instead for a Lotus Jumbo pen.. but I will surely return to Kim and Co for the other pens they sell.. 

When I first got my Kim pen about a decade back, Rafi was telling me they were about to chuck boxloads of old pens.. he said those days older generation people who had an ebonite pen would come once every few years, just to change the worn-out nib.. until pen-enthusiasts from FPN wrote about these pens here , and there was huge demand from collectors... I feel happy for them that they could generate some profit from their legacy...

I guess some pens have become luxury collectible items because of the willingness collectors have shown to pay to acquire them.. I am happy for them for being able to get it, and also happy for pen-makers/sellers who manage to make profit out of it.... I think it is neither right nor wrong on either collector's side, or seller's side... 

So, let's just enjoy the pens we are able to get ... 

@bestillmysoul Just got a lotus shikhar today from someone. It's a lovely pen and opens in 3/4th of a turn which is even less than the one turn on my Kim pen. Love lotus pens, though they are mostly pricier than other Indian pens.

Yes, it's good to see that fountain pens are in demand again. I think the international demand for these pens is also a reason for the inflation in prices. Had it been only the Indian buyers the prices may have stayed somewhat reasonable I guess, like they used to be earlier.

Still we can only hope that all the pen-makers continue to thrive so that they are not forced to shut shop.

38 minutes ago, K Singh said:

@bestillmysoul Just got a lotus shikhar today from someone. It's a lovely pen and opens in 3/4th of a turn which is even less than the one turn on my Kim pen. Love lotus pens, though they are mostly pricier than other Indian pens.

Yes, it's good to see that fountain pens are in demand again. I think the international demand for these pens is also a reason for the inflation in prices. Had it been only the Indian buyers the prices may have stayed somewhat reasonable I guess, like they used to be earlier.

Still we can only hope that all the pen-makers continue to thrive so that they are not forced to shut shop.

True..

I also feel that when prices rise unreasonably,  there will always be a group of sellers/manufacturers who would see the demand created by users who can't afford the luxury segment, and like to cater to a sub-luxury segment by making good, affordable pens... contemporary pens like Beena Antic are good examples, I think.. 

If one is a regular user of pens and wants a good pen to write, there is a good pen at any price point... if one needs a pen of a certain specification for writing, one is ready to pay a premium for it..

If one is a collector,  the thrill one gets is in finding an under-valued or under-recognized or rare pen... I guess the patience and waiting and preparation are what adds to the thrill...

Value of any pen is not intrinsic to the pen itself, I think.. one may have a very cheap pen, but with so much sentimental value that one may spend great amount of time and money to repair it... 

Also, I feel that trends and fashions in pens are created by collective group of users, and may not have intrinsic value in itself,  for an individual user....

For example, the advantage of lower number of turns in a cap is clear, if one takes short notes several times during the day... but, in such situations, a push-cap model is far better (like a guider push-cap ebonite model)...  if one uses pens for longish writing during relaxed hours, plus prefers to carry pens, a secure screw cap with larger number of turns is what I prefer... so, for my use, I typically request not to reduce the no of turns in cap... 

Another trend that I see, that over time I realized is not applicable to me, is the tendency to value larger nibs... i also feel that larger nibs are  aesthetically good-looking.. but for writing comfort, I find myself drawn to pens with size 5 nibs than size 6 nibs.. 

Of course, preferences vary, and this is not to de-value trends or choices made by other users or collectors... 

5 hours ago, bestillmysoul said:

a push-cap model is far better (like a guider push-cap ebonite model).

Have you used this pen ? How is it? Is it well engineered? Wanted some feedback before putting my money. Sometimes some models are made without much attention. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

2 hours ago, hari317 said:

Have you used this pen ? How is it? Is it well engineered? Wanted some feedback before putting my money. Sometimes some models are made without much attention. 

I bought one guider push cap pen pen after a lot of hesitation. My main concerns were whether the cap would come off in pocket, and about nib drying. I tested it long enough on desk before starting carrying it in pocket. I have been using it and carrying in pocket daily for about a month now. I feel the cap is tight enough to safely carry in pocket, and for leaving in bag.

There are no drying issues.

Holding the pen and writing are comfortable for me. (Mine is medium sized pen with #5 nib; large & jumbo sizes are also available). Section is flush with barrel. Cap is securely postable.

There are no major scratches where the cap is push-fit (due to repeated friction). I'm not concerned about minor scratches. 

So, overall, I am happy with this pen. I have not used nor aware of any other handmade pen that has push-fit cap. Please let us know your experiences with this type of design. 

1 hour ago, bestillmysoul said:

I bought one guider push cap pen pen after a lot of hesitation. My main concerns were whether the cap would come off in pocket, and about nib drying. I tested it long enough on desk before starting carrying it in pocket. I have been using it and carrying in pocket daily for about a month now. I feel the cap is tight enough to safely carry in pocket, and for leaving in bag.

There are no drying issues.

Holding the pen and writing are comfortable for me. (Mine is medium sized pen with #5 nib; large & jumbo sizes are also available). Section is flush with barrel. Cap is securely postable.

There are no major scratches where the cap is push-fit (due to repeated friction). I'm not concerned about minor scratches. 

So, overall, I am happy with this pen. I have not used nor aware of any other handmade pen that has push-fit cap. Please let us know your experiences with this type of design. 

thank you for feedback

I was considering the Zimbo size but the price made me take pause.

Deccan has made several well engineered push cap pens with steel cap and ebonite cap. All of them have internal clutch fingers for secure capping. one example is this one:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/66082-the-deccan-cartridgeconverter-pen/

view images by copying whole link and pasting in browser.

Edit: apologies for this off topic on a kim thread. will post a separate thread on push cap Indian pens when time permits.

@bestillmysoul Agree with all your points. I love my ebonite pens irrespective of what they cost.

Also agree about the number of turns to open a cap. It doesn't bother me at all, but to many it matters that's why I mentioned it.

For writing I prefer large-sized pens with international size#6 nib. When I used to use finger/wrist movement to write, i found the smaller pen size to be comfortable too. But since I've been using arm writing movement for few years now, the larger-sized pens just feel more comfortable to me. And I do feel that I would benefit from an even larger nib. Will try the Ambitious 40mm nib someday and see how it goes.

Thank you for sharing all the information on the push-cap pen. I think they have a model called Guider Bijali that offers this mechanism, but as you said they can make it for other pens as well. I had seen a Guider Zimbo earlier with same mechanism elsewhere.

1 hour ago, hari317 said:

Edit: apologies for this off topic on a kim thread.

Thank you for asking about it. The information given by @bestillmysoul was very helpful.

I got a Zimbo a couple of months ago for 3500 with schmidt nib + converter. The stock nib version should cost 1K less I guess. I think the price is reasonable considering the large size of the pen. Or has it increased now.

Every Indian seller seems to have increased their price, not sure if it's a regular thing or the covid has pushed them to do it.

Your deccan push-cap pen has a stepdown at the section-barrel joint. The guider ones I have seen are without any stepdown, which is what I prefer personally.

48 minutes ago, K Singh said:

Or has it increased now.

all that is past now, I decided to buy another Ratnamson Supreme instead.

18 minutes ago, hari317 said:

an old brand named after a horse associated with Shirdi Sai Baba I was told. 

Thanks for the info.

15 minutes ago, hari317 said:

I decided to buy another Ratnamson Supreme instead.

I too am going to buy the Supreme soon. I had messaged Mr.Gopi yesterday but received no response. So will call him today.
Hope to buy a black color one with steel nib. Their gold nibs are out of budget for me.

Perhaps you may not remember this, but we had discussed few things related to this pen a few years ago here on FPN. I should have bought the Supreme then, now it has increased in price.

Just now, K Singh said:

Their gold nibs are out of budget for me.

They have stopped gold nibs now unfortunately. Also have a look at their new  "302 Special" model.

1 minute ago, hari317 said:

They have stopped gold nibs now unfortunately. Also have a look at their new  "302 Special" model.

Oh. That's sad to hear. You, in fact, had recommended me the gold nib back then, but even then it was too expensive for me.

Is there any difference between 302 and 302 Special. Please let me know if there are any pictures of it.

7 minutes ago, K Singh said:

Is there any difference between 302 and 302 Special. Please let me know if there are any pictures of it.

yes there is, but I have pics sent by them only.