Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

OMAS and the Greek Key Motif



Recommended Posts

stardustny

What is the historical connection between OMAS and the Greek key motif found on (most of) its pens? Aurora features the motif on some of its pens like the Optima, but the motif is the rule rather than the exception for OMAS? (I like the design, it looks like a little frieze built into every pen).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • stardustny

    7

  • gyasko

    5

  • fabri00

    4

  • Calabria

    2

For Omas the Greek Key pattern in the cap ring is almost the rule, but I do not know any particular historical connection with it.

I think it was a simply decision of Omas to use this motif in the majority of the pens they produced.

But also the 3 slim rings are used in the regular Omas production, since the beginning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
stardustny

I wonder if the idea was to make the pen look like a column. If that was the idea, they succeeded. 
 

I can’t be the only person who misses OMAS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss Omas too, it was my favourite pen and i stayed in Bologna for the years of university, where Omas was really sinonymous of pen. Therefore I grew up with Omas.

I cannot find the same elegance and stile of the faceted Omas in any other pen actually produced.

There is something in the market but to my opinion not so elegant and proportioned like Omas was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
stardustny

That’s why I went and bought wooden and metal OMAS pens. I bet they’ll still be operational a century from now and not deteriorate like celluloid.

 

Writing with an OMAS is like driving an original Packard Twin Six or Alfa of that era. Montblancs feel cheap by comparison. 
 

Now, Luca Baglione at SCRIBO is onto something. His nibs are just like OMAS nibs. He is rhe opposite of Dante del Vecchio. But SCRIBO needs to take the writing off the nib, put the Greek Key back on the cap, and maybe offer the pen in something other than resin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stardustny said:

Writing with an OMAS is like driving an original Packard Twin Six or Alfa of that era. Montblancs feel cheap by comparison. 

 

The telescoping piston MBs feel cheap to you?  They certainly weren’t cheap, which is why they were discontinued.  

 

And if you’re speaking about more recent MB & OMAS pens, i’d argue that MB retained a little more of what made them great than OMAS did.  By the end OMAS were more about flashy looks than writing — kind of like MB LEs, but with generic nibs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
stardustny
9 hours ago, gyasko said:

 

The telescoping piston MBs feel cheap to you?  They certainly weren’t cheap, which is why they were discontinued.  

 

And if you’re speaking about more recent MB & OMAS pens, i’d argue that MB retained a little more of what made them great than OMAS did.  By the end OMAS were more about flashy looks than writing — kind of like MB LEs, but with generic nibs. 

Yes, the MBs feel cheap *by comparison.* The last run of OMAS pens were not as good but the pre-2000 OMAS pens are hard to beat. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stardustny said:

Yes, the MBs feel cheap *by comparison.* The last run of OMAS pens were not as good but the pre-2000 OMAS pens are hard to beat. 

 

What is it about the pre-2000, modern OMAS pens that makes MBs feel “cheap”?  The corroding celluloid?  The crumbling nib collars?  The crappy plating?

 

Have you tried a pre-1960 MB Meisterstück?  They weren’t cheap in price, production  cost or feel. 

 

In reality OMAS & MB had similar responses to the ballpoint pen and the computer: cost cutting and then a play for the luxury market.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
stardustny
On 9/4/2021 at 1:28 PM, gyasko said:

 

What is it about the pre-2000, modern OMAS pens that makes MBs feel “cheap”?  The corroding celluloid?  The crumbling nib collars?  The crappy plating?

 

Have you tried a pre-1960 MB Meisterstück?  They weren’t cheap in price, production  cost or feel. 

 

In reality OMAS & MB had similar responses to the ballpoint pen and the computer: cost cutting and then a play for the luxury market.    

If you read my post above, I pointed out that I did not purchase the celluloid pens. I won't buy celluloid pens of any brand and I try to avoid resin where I can.

 

The metal and wood OMAS pens are made out of materials that feel much more substantial than comparable Mont Blancs. I own a number of Mont Blanc fountain pens, my favorite being the old ebonite pens. I don't like the glass filled resin they use. It feels pretty cheap to me. Their solitaire line is a lot better, however. Of all the pen brands I've owned, only Mont Blancs have given me leaking problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stardustny said:

If you read my post above, I pointed out that I did not purchase the celluloid pens. I won't buy celluloid pens of any brand and I try to avoid resin where I can.

 

The metal and wood OMAS pens are made out of materials that feel much more substantial than comparable Mont Blancs. I own a number of Mont Blanc fountain pens, my favorite being the old ebonite pens. I don't like the glass filled resin they use. It feels pretty cheap to me. Their solitaire line is a lot better, however. Of all the pen brands I've owned, only Mont Blancs have given me leaking problems.

 

You’re not comparing like to like.  
 

Wood and metal have their drawbacks as pen materials,   too, which is why they weren’t mainstream pen materials. Plus, plastic pens have the advantage of being lighter.  Lightness was always a design goal in the Armando Sismoni days.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
stardustny
20 hours ago, gyasko said:

 

You’re not comparing like to like.  
 

Wood and metal have their drawbacks as pen materials,   too, which is why they weren’t mainstream pen materials. Plus, plastic pens have the advantage of being lighter.  Lightness was always a design goal in the Armando Sismoni days.  

 

Like to like. Well, let's see:

OMAS Sterling Silver compared to Montblanc Solitaire LeGrand. Both nice pens, but the OMAS nib writes a lot better (for me). I like the Montblanc LeGrand, but it does feel less substantial and the nib isn't as good. Lightness (in any brand) is not an advantage for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Waltz For Zizi
On 9/9/2021 at 3:15 PM, stardustny said:

 

Like to like. Well, let's see:

OMAS Sterling Silver compared to Montblanc Solitaire LeGrand. Both nice pens, but the OMAS nib writes a lot better (for me). I like the Montblanc LeGrand, but it does feel less substantial and the nib isn't as good. Lightness (in any brand) is not an advantage for me.

It seems to me like a subjective thing from what you describe. Different people can have different experiences with pens and different preferences. For example most people rave about how good pelikan nibs are out of the box, but I have had exactly the opposite experience. And with a pen heavier than 40 grams it is difficult to write more than a few pages and not have cramps in your hand, but if you use your pen for mostly signatures and quick notes it is no problem then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Waltz For Zizi said:

It seems to me like a subjective thing from what you describe. Different people can have different experiences with pens and different preferences. For example most people rave about how good pelikan nibs are out of the box, but I have had exactly the opposite experience. And with a pen heavier than 40 grams it is difficult to write more than a few pages and not have cramps in your hand, but if you use your pen for mostly signatures and quick notes it is no problem then.

 

 

We’re on the same page,  Waltz.  I like OMAS pens precisely for their lightness.  They’re well-suited to longer writing sessions.

 

I have had exactly the same experience with modern Pelikans.  I only use the vintage ones now.  The pre-1965 Pelikans have the added benefit of being lighter in the hand.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, Waltz For Zizi said:

It seems to me like a subjective thing from what you describe. Different people can have different experiences with pens and different preferences. For example most people rave about how good pelikan nibs are out of the box, but I have had exactly the opposite experience. And with a pen heavier than 40 grams it is difficult to write more than a few pages and not have cramps in your hand, but if you use your pen for mostly signatures and quick notes it is no problem then.

 

It definitely is subjective. My handwriting benefits from a heavier pen, but I can see how it could wear on people with smaller hands.  That's what makes the collecting hobby so fun. I agree with gyasko about modern PElikans. It's not just the construction but the QC seems to be inconsistent lately. Probably something to do with all the issues at the factory...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my hands are about as big as they get, but i still don’t like heavy pens.  

 

At any rate, it’s not just weight but how it’s distributed. Sometimes a larger pen with the same weight as a smaller one won’t feel as heavy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2021 at 9:35 AM, fabri00 said:

I miss Omas too, it was my favourite pen and i stayed in Bologna for the years of university, where Omas was really sinonymous of pen. Therefore I grew up with Omas.

I cannot find the same elegance and stile of the faceted Omas in any other pen actually produced.

There is something in the market but to my opinion not so elegant and proportioned like Omas was.

@fabri00 What OMAS did you use as a student - what were the models that were “synonymous” with a pen?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fabri00 said:

I had an Omas extra 620 Bordeaux.

Thank you! I always wonder which models were popular before they became collectible. When they were writing instruments.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fabri00 said:

I had an Omas extra 620 Bordeaux.

@fabri00 I always wondered if the steel nib on the Omas Extra 620 has any softness, like the school pens of Pelikan. It's a very elegant pen even though it's a more modest version. You were a lucky student!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Most Contributions

    1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
      37736
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
      30639
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
      28220
    4. jar
      jar
      26101
    5. wimg
      wimg
      25570
  • Upcoming Events

  • Blog Comments

    • Ferocity
      I hope you enjoy it ❤️ You are so very lucky ❤️
    • halffriedchicken
      Not sure if this has been suggested already but would a setting for localized regions or chapters in FPN be helpful? I don't know if there is a way to find local FPN members who would be nearby. I don't know if we want to be discoverable but a setting to know how many members are in 25, 50, or a 100 miles of each other might be helpful. We can create a regions specific network like Craigslist where people could use that to connect with nearby members, conduct in person sales, arrange FPN meetups
    • Daneaxe
      Hi again all, I forgot to tell y'all that I made the post about Sweden ink PIF. Most have probably found it long ago, but here's a link, anyway:      
    • Ayami_109
      I read your blog post and all the replies with much interest. I'm a FP user in Australia. Been part of this forum for years but rarely post. I did come across your ink sharing thread and considered participation. For me it's not lack of interest but lack of time to play around with FP and inks. I'd feel bad to put my hand up for the box and just have it sit until gosh knows when...   I also think that the FP community in Australia is smaller, and I wonder how many in the community are
    • A Smug Dill
      Even so, you'd end up with a fragmented list, and it becomes an O(N²) process for each prospective requestor to check what is available: effectively recreate the list of currently active servers (without any reliable up-to-date info upfront about the inks and number of samples on offer in the thread) from the sequential list of posts, which may be spread over two or even more pages, and then query each server independently to check what is currently on offer.   It comes down to not hav
  • Chatbox

    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

    • By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 8 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 8 months
  • Random Adverts

  • Files

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. 2ndJOB
      2ndJOB
      (52 years old)
    2. alleysally
      alleysally
    3. arkan15
      arkan15
      (34 years old)
    4. bakerag
      bakerag
      (46 years old)
    5. Basilios
      Basilios
      (37 years old)





×
×
  • Create New...