Jump to content
Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

2021 Commonwealth Pen Show (Boston 9/12/21)!



Recommended Posts

Federalist Pens

Yes- the one day pen show returns on 9/12/21 at the Holiday Inn Bunker Hill!
Info Here- www.commonwealthpenshow.com

 

We will again attend this great show! (Masks will be mandatory)
Five Tables of Merchandise!

 

Brands Unique/Of Interest at show from us include:

-Tomoe River Paper (Journals/Notebooks/Pads)
-Ayush Paper
-Colorverse Ink
-Robert Oster Signature Inks
-BENU Pens
-Laban Pens
-OPUS88 Pens
-Click Pens
-Magna Carta Pens

 

Frank

"Celebrating Six Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

 

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

 

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

 

 

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • inkstainedruth

    5

  • Intensity

    4

  • amyx231

    3

  • Parker51

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any word on other vendors or the show's Noodlers offerings? 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Link to post
Share on other sites
Federalist Pens
22 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Any word on other vendors or the show's Noodlers offerings? 

 

Hi Lloyd!

 

Nathan will be there of course!

He always brings something exclusive to his home show! 😉

 

Frank

"Celebrating Six Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

 

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

 

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

 

 

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Commonwealth Pen Show is back! Sunday, September 12, 2021, 9.00 am - 5.00 pm, at the Holiday Inn Bunker Hill, 30 Washington Street, Somerville, MA. This year, with expanded space, we expect to have some 30 exhibitors offering vintage and modern pens, inks, paper, and ephemera!
 
Now for the fine print ...
 
Please note that for everyone's protection, there will be strict COVID-19 protocols in place at this year's show. Mask wearing is required at all times within the venue! By order of the City of Somerville, a mask covering the nose and mouth is required of everyone aged 2 years and older while on the premises. Persons unable to wear a mask for medical or religious reasons must present official documentation at the admissions table before entry. Violators are subject to a City-imposed fine of $300. The Commonwealth Pen Show will not be liable for the fine.
 
For those who are looking for the latest from Nathan Tardiff and Noodler's, here is a link to his video ...
 
 
We have a mixture of returning and first-time exhibitors this year:
Yigit Bagdas - DAYartSTORE
Jim Baer - Monomoy Pens
Bailey - The Penman
John Bedard - Fantasy Snorkel Pen
Andy Beliveau
Richard Binder
Bromfield Pen Shop / Appelboom
Rowland Butler
Alan Cohen - Crazy Al’s Emporium
Myk Daigle - MaD Mercantile
Jimmy Dolive - Total Office Products
Paul Erano
Federalist Pens and Paper
Pier Gustafson
Tim Holl
Jeffrey Krasner
Neil Lander
Joshua Lax - J. J. Lax Pen Company
Gary Lehrer - GoPens. com
Nikola Pang
Michael Quitt - Charm City Pens
Lindsey Rand
Michael Riggs - Riggs Pens
Bob Slate Stationer
Jonathan Steinberg
Nathan Tardif - Noodlers
 
For any enquiries, please feel free to email me at dwattsjr54@gmail.com.
Link to post
Share on other sites
inkstainedruth

I'm looking forward to the show, but probably can't get there as soon as I'd like -- we're having to juggle timing because of something we have to do on Saturday, then figure out how far we can get Saturday night,  and then (probably Sunday morning) meet my brother-in-law somewhere in western CT to get the key to the storage unit where all the stuff from my mother-in-law's house got taken.  Drive the rest of the way to MA and I either get dropped off at the show or drop my husband off at the storage unit, then go to the show and back before the storage place closes.  And either way, have to have one of my OTHER brothers-in-law meet us there to load the big wardrobe into the back of the van from storage, then get as far as we can that night.  Not sure if we have to drop the key off back in CT or leave it with my other brother-in-law.

Then of course sometime in October we're going up to central NYS for the burial service for my OTHER two brothers-in-law on the property they and my late mother-in-law jointly owned (God only knows what's happening with THAT property at this point...).

And I thought clearing "personal belongings" out of my dad's house was bad....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I'm looking forward to the show, but probably can't get there as soon as I'd like -- we're having to juggle timing because of something we have to do on Saturday, then figure out how far we can get Saturday night,  and then (probably Sunday morning) meet my brother-in-law somewhere in western CT to get the key to the storage unit where all the stuff from my mother-in-law's house got taken.  Drive the rest of the way to MA and I either get dropped off at the show or drop my husband off at the storage unit, then go to the show and back before the storage place closes.  And either way, have to have one of my OTHER brothers-in-law meet us there to load the big wardrobe into the back of the van from storage, then get as far as we can that night.  Not sure if we have to drop the key off back in CT or leave it with my other brother-in-law.

Then of course sometime in October we're going up to central NYS for the burial service for my OTHER two brothers-in-law on the property they and my late mother-in-law jointly owned (God only knows what's happening with THAT property at this point...).

And I thought clearing "personal belongings" out of my dad's house was bad....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth, except for items of sentimental value and a very limited number of antiques, many pieces of furniture are no longer worth the cost of transporting them long distances. This may be the case of the wardrobe. Another thing to find out is if it is a “ knock down” wardrobe. Some wardrobes. Even large tall ones are designed to easily disassemble and will do so barring someone having glued it together. I just hate the thought of someone spending several hundred dollars on transportation to obtain a piece of furniture worth much less than said costs, plus the time involved. If this is the case it might be better to just let family who are closer have it it sell it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m planning to get there one hour before the doors open. This is my first pen show ever, so I don’t know where that will put me in line. I’d love to hear from folks who’ve been to this show before what I should expect from that. I am hoping to get to the Noodler’s table in time to snag some blue pens before they sell out. After that I’ll just wander. Thanks very much!

"Lupus est homo homini" - Plautus

Link to post
Share on other sites
christina_k
13 hours ago, meiochi said:

I’m planning to get there one hour before the doors open. This is my first pen show ever, so I don’t know where that will put me in line. I’d love to hear from folks who’ve been to this show before what I should expect from that. I am hoping to get to the Noodler’s table in time to snag some blue pens before they sell out. After that I’ll just wander. Thanks very much!

 

I got to go in 2019, though I'm not this year.  (I'm going to see my folks up in Rockport, ME this weekend...)

 

2019 was my only prior show.  The line to get into the show seemed long upon our arrival (can't remember, maybe 20 minutes of the show opening), but it moved quickly.  However, the line at the Noodler's table was already snaking out a side door.  Their inventory seemed good, from what I could observe.  I didn't have business there.  A bottle of the show ink was given out at the door at one per party, not person.

 

One thing I take note of as a positive is the indicated MORE SPACE!  It was hard to navigate the room and see what the tables were about.  One felt as if one had to keep moving along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
christina_k
14 hours ago, meiochi said:

I’m planning to get there one hour before the doors open.

This may put you in good shape.  There will be fellow travelers/pen people to talk to in line, at least. 

 

I meant to say we were there some 20 minutes after the opening, as I remember, so my account is for what it's worth. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
inkstainedruth
21 hours ago, Parker51 said:

Ruth, except for items of sentimental value and a very limited number of antiques, many pieces of furniture are no longer worth the cost of transporting them long distances. This may be the case of the wardrobe. Another thing to find out is if it is a “ knock down” wardrobe. Some wardrobes. Even large tall ones are designed to easily disassemble and will do so barring someone having glued it together. I just hate the thought of someone spending several hundred dollars on transportation to obtain a piece of furniture worth much less than said costs, plus the time involved. If this is the case it might be better to just let family who are closer have it it sell it.

Well, the only reason I want the wardrobe at all is because it appears to be made of cedar (which is a good thing).  And I can swap it out for a vinyl/fabric on that some cat or other destroyed that's currently in the bedroom.  

The problem is that there is no really "close" family at this point, except my one brother-in-law and his family, and I'm pretty sure his wife will have a cow if he brings ANYTHING from his mom's house home with him; his oldest daughter lives in Boston now, and I think she lives in a tiny place).  The next closest would be one of my husband's nieces, and I don't know how much space she and her boyfriend have.  After that would be another brother-in-law, in CT.  And he's under penalty of DEATH if he brings anything into the house without his wife's express approval at this point (he wasn't even sure if he could sneak one of the digital clocks that is automatically set by satellite into the basement when we were up there in July).  

There is one really nice piece -- an antique set of drawers -- but they're trying to find a buyer up there for it rather than just trash it.  But we have no way to transport it, the way we can for the cedar wardrobe, or for the stuff my husband wanted the last trip (a set of barristers bookcases and a wooden file cabinet, both of which just got moved out of the back of the van and into his home office on Sunday -- well part of the bookcases did anyway...).  My one other brother-in-law lives on the West Coast.  So anything he might want would be a major hassle to transport unless it's small; and my sister-in-law probably has too much stuff in her apartment in NYC already.  

Ironically, I met a guy at an estate sale a couple of months ago who has a booth in an antiques mall in the Pittsburgh area; he specializes in "mid-century" stuff, and I'm sure he'd be drooling over the horrible turquoise plastic bucket chairs from the dining room.  But I don't even want to CONSIDER moving them because they're so ugly and uncomfortable (apparently, when my husband's parents first bought them, even the guy in the furniture couldn't understand why...).

If we had to rent a truck to transport the stuff we did take, MY answer would have been "Pitch it ALL!"  But with the middle seats out of the back of the minivan, we do have a lot of room (the back end seat folds down into the floor).  Basically, the first trip, we got the barrister bookcase sections, the wooden file cabinet, a (very) small bookshelf, and a few knick nack type things (like the cross-stitch panel I made her for Christmas one year of tea kettles, because one of them looked just like her copper kettle.  I finally got it out of the car on Monday, while trying to clear out junk for this weekend (like empty water and Gatorade bottles).   My husband has a use for the barrister bookcases and file cabinets in his home office, although on Sunday, he and the friend who helped get stuff out of the back end spent the next hour playing 3d Tetris....  At some point he's supposed to fix the broken front on one of the file cabinet drawers, and re-glue a broken connector piece on the little bookshelf.  I have no clue how he's going to fix/replace the broken glass on one section of the barrister bookcase (nor do I really WANT to at this point) -- I'm just hoping all the glass is out of the back end of the van....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites
inkstainedruth
7 hours ago, christina_k said:

 

I got to go in 2019, though I'm not this year.  (I'm going to see my folks up in Rockport, ME this weekend...)

 

2019 was my only prior show.  The line to get into the show seemed long upon our arrival (can't remember, maybe 20 minutes of the show opening), but it moved quickly.  However, the line at the Noodler's table was already snaking out a side door.  Their inventory seemed good, from what I could observe.  I didn't have business there.  A bottle of the show ink was given out at the door at one per party, not person.

 

One thing I take note of as a positive is the indicated MORE SPACE!  It was hard to navigate the room and see what the tables were about.  One felt as if one had to keep moving along.

The first year I went, the line for the Noodler's table was across the width of the ballroom, and bent around at both ends (that was the year Nathan was giving away free Charlie pens with the three special inks he made that year (Plymouth Wilderness, Miles Standish Blue, and King Philip's Requiem).   But it was a small enough show (only 17 vendors) that even then I was was out of there in a couple of hours.  A couple of years later it was larger, and had more vendors (and I think also more people) but again there was quite a line for the Noodler's table -- that was the year the Triple Tail was released, plus he had several inks that were designed to do well in the Noodler's Boston Safety eyedroppers) -- and that was in addition to the freebie ink given out at the door (Eye of the Porbeagle).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m going for the first time! Been looking forward to it for a decade! First it was school, then work schedule. First year I have the weekend free and am able to travel there!!! 
 

Any tips on what to do? 
 

I plan to make a beeline for Nathan Noodler’s table of course (get it? Tim Apple style? Nathan totally deserves such an honor, lol). Seriously though, I’ll bring some of my favorite pens, one pen I want to trade away (gold plated nib thing, looks cool, just too heavy for me). And one pen that came to me with a cap that doesn’t click - I suspect a plastic piece is missing, or the metal turned under cap is supposed to be less flattened. 
 

Should I bring a kids FP that I love? It’s amazing. But very thin. But I guess in theory a real kid would need it more…nah. No one gets my pen. Lol. 
 

anyways, see you guys tomorrow!

 

 

 

PS: for anyone that’s following the saga 6 years later, I’m 99% sure my dad threw away my Noodlers HoD bottle. I can’t find it. It’s been 6 years. I still wanna cry when I think of my perfect original ink bottle. I can’t replace it…. It’d be like replacing a firstborn child by naming a younger kid the same name. RIP baby Heart. 

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2021 at 2:24 PM, inkstainedruth said:

The first year I went, the line for the Noodler's table was across the width of the ballroom, and bent around at both ends (that was the year Nathan was giving away free Charlie pens with the three special inks he made that year (Plymouth Wilderness, Miles Standish Blue, and King Philip's Requiem).   But it was a small enough show (only 17 vendors) that even then I was was out of there in a couple of hours.  A couple of years later it was larger, and had more vendors (and I think also more people) but again there was quite a line for the Noodler's table -- that was the year the Triple Tail was released, plus he had several inks that were designed to do well in the Noodler's Boston Safety eyedroppers) -- and that was in addition to the freebie ink given out at the door (Eye of the Porbeagle).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

 

Ruth, I saw your name on Richard Binder’s work list while I was sitting there watching him work on my pen.  I was pretty excited to meet you, but unfortunately yours was over 15 names down, and I had to leave much before that. I had arrived before 9am to get in line, and it was close to noon at that point.

 

Fun show as before, my 3rd one do far.  I hoped again for a miracle to see Jay, the Paper For Fountain Pens journal maker, but he’s still MIA for 2nd show in a row and possibly no longer making the journals.

 

Got three Noodler’s inks: 1984, standard King Philip’s Requiem, and the fabled Lexington Grey.  I was very interested with the anti-feather red Lyudmila, but didn’t buy it—I hope I won’t regret that decision.  Noodler’s table is always by far the most popular, I think thanks to Nathan being present plus limited edition inks.  
Also grabbed a Lamy Vibrant Pink from Bob Slate Stationer on a whim.  My tiny dues for supporting a local business.

 

Besides getting nib work on 3 pens and those inks I didn’t get anything else.  Was hoping for Jay’s journals, but alas.

 

Some beautiful pens on display: many older limited edition Pelikans at one table, a Bright Red M101N was calling my name, as were some Toledos and other limited editions.  Another table had Fantasy Snorkels that were super cool.  Pretty expensive, but I can probably eventually rationalize one in a swirl diamondcast...  I was really hoping someone would have Opus 88 pens on display, but there were none.

 

Met Joost from Appelboom who is the new owner of Bromfield Pen Shop—unexpected to see him at the show.  One can now shop the main Appelboom website and have cheap shipping to USA addresses or even Boston store pick  up option.  The updated Boston store is opening tomorrow, if I recall correctly.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Well, the only reason I want the wardrobe at all is because it appears to be made of cedar (which is a good thing).  And I can swap it out for a vinyl/fabric on that some cat or other destroyed that's currently in the bedroom.  

The problem is that there is no really "close" family at this point, except my one brother-in-law and his family, and I'm pretty sure his wife will have a cow if he brings ANYTHING from his mom's house home with him; his oldest daughter lives in Boston now, and I think she lives in a tiny place).  The next closest would be one of my husband's nieces, and I don't know how much space she and her boyfriend have.  After that would be another brother-in-law, in CT.  And he's under penalty of DEATH if he brings anything into the house without his wife's express approval at this point (he wasn't even sure if he could sneak one of the digital clocks that is automatically set by satellite into the basement when we were up there in July).  

There is one really nice piece -- an antique set of drawers -- but they're trying to find a buyer up there for it rather than just trash it.  But we have no way to transport it, the way we can for the cedar wardrobe, or for the stuff my husband wanted the last trip (a set of barristers bookcases and a wooden file cabinet, both of which just got moved out of the back of the van and into his home office on Sunday -- well part of the bookcases did anyway...).  My one other brother-in-law lives on the West Coast.  So anything he might want would be a major hassle to transport unless it's small; and my sister-in-law probably has too much stuff in her apartment in NYC already.  

Ironically, I met a guy at an estate sale a couple of months ago who has a booth in an antiques mall in the Pittsburgh area; he specializes in "mid-century" stuff, and I'm sure he'd be drooling over the horrible turquoise plastic bucket chairs from the dining room.  But I don't even want to CONSIDER moving them because they're so ugly and uncomfortable (apparently, when my husband's parents first bought them, even the guy in the furniture couldn't understand why...).

If we had to rent a truck to transport the stuff we did take, MY answer would have been "Pitch it ALL!"  But with the middle seats out of the back of the minivan, we do have a lot of room (the back end seat folds down into the floor).  Basically, the first trip, we got the barrister bookcase sections, the wooden file cabinet, a (very) small bookshelf, and a few knick nack type things (like the cross-stitch panel I made her for Christmas one year of tea kettles, because one of them looked just like her copper kettle.  I finally got it out of the car on Monday, while trying to clear out junk for this weekend (like empty water and Gatorade bottles).   My husband has a use for the barrister bookcases and file cabinets in his home office, although on Sunday, he and the friend who helped get stuff out of the back end spent the next hour playing 3d Tetris....  At some point he's supposed to fix the broken front on one of the file cabinet drawers, and re-glue a broken connector piece on the little bookshelf.  I have no clue how he's going to fix/replace the broken glass on one section of the barrister bookcase (nor do I really WANT to at this point) -- I'm just hoping all the glass is out of the back end of the van....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The Barrister bookcase was definitely worth getting as they are useful and have held their value, specifically real ones vs. the all in one copies. The doors on those come off and a good local hardware store should have no problem replacing the glass, As it is single pane and fairly small in size it should be fairly cheap and not take long to be done. We used to live in an old house and had our local hardware store replace glass in some transom windows and a wooden multi-pane storm door. 
And you may be surprised at the value of the off dining room chairs. Mid century modern, even if ugly and uncomfortable is still selling. There likely is a used furniture store that specializes in mid century modern within an hour of the storage unit if it is in or near a major city. Some cities have several of this t  to pe of store focusing on everything from Herman Miller to Brady Bunch styles. Plastic that isn’t cracked or scratch Ed too much sells well especially as not much of it survived. Yep, flower power is green because the word is Plastic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have discovered that today’s Noodler’s 1984 ink is exactly the hue of dark brownish ink I’ve been looking for for a long time.  I love it!  If anyone here doesn’t care for theirs, shoot me a message; I’d love a back-up bottle!  
 

On the other hand I found Lexington Gray an underwhelming hue, and not sure about King Philip’s Requiem.  I love KPR too!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy the King. Why does everyone want the Lexington?! It’s such a boring color, 2 people I met at the event also got it. I got King, Midnight, Napalm. Napalm is definitely messy. I think cap is not the best fit - top of threads acts as reservoir for a waterfall. (Lid bulges a little and isn’t sitting flat like other lids). But hey, it’s all standard sizes. Love that fact. 
 

btw, devs of this site, the Google or Facebook or whoever ads cover half the page. More than half with keyboard up. I’m typing blindly. iPhone. Chrome app. 

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
brokenclay
19 minutes ago, amyx231 said:

btw, devs of this site, the Google or Facebook or whoever ads cover half the page. More than half with keyboard up. I’m typing blindly. iPhone. Chrome app. 

AdBlock Plus. Don't leave home without it: https://adblockplus.org/en/

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

AdBlock Plus. Don't leave home without it: https://adblockplus.org/en/

iPhone 

 

 

 

 

 

From inquisitive newbie coveter to utilitarian (ultra) fine point user to calligraphy flourisher. The life cycle of a fountain pen lover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, amyx231 said:

I enjoy the King. Why does everyone want the Lexington?! It’s such a boring color, 2 people I met at the event also got it. I got King, Midnight, Napalm. Napalm is definitely messy. I think cap is not the best fit - top of threads acts as reservoir for a waterfall. (Lid bulges a little and isn’t sitting flat like other lids). But hey, it’s all standard sizes. Love that fact. 
 

btw, devs of this site, the Google or Facebook or whoever ads cover half the page. More than half with keyboard up. I’m typing blindly. iPhone. Chrome app. 

 

I am disappointed in Lexington Gray, to be honest.  I got it because I stupidly didn't pick up an extra 1984, and they had a deal on 3 bottles of ink, so I was trying to pick a 3rd out of the available colors.  Lexington Gray was the most likely one I would use, but I thought it would be darker, more like Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey.  It's fairly pale and needs a pretty wet pen to get a dark line.  I also hoped it would be more noticeably tinted (greenish), based on photographs I've seen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
brokenclay
34 minutes ago, amyx231 said:

iPhone

Yes. It's available in the App Store. I see no ads on FPN on iPhone.

 

And it's just one of a number of ad blockers available for iOS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now







×
×
  • Create New...