First Namiki

Toll

At the DC Pen Show I bought a new Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillion with a fine nib. I was a bit concerned that the nib size would be “too fine” for me but I am not disappointed at all. Very smooth and wet writing experience. The pen itself is a work of art and it is an appreciably heavier pen than a comparable Nakaya for example. This pen far exceeds my expectations and previous Danitrio and Sailor writing experiences. 

47C39869-B726-4619-9B74-D044CAE7F577.jpeg

B35910F1-D0A3-456B-9CDE-E2ABC0924EE7.jpeg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toll

• The Mustard

• dascott

• christam

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I held one of these in my hand for the first time at the SF pen show this weekend, as well as a Nakaya about the same size. I think I could write quite happily with either one, and congratulations on getting the pen you like. I think I can see why the greater heft of the Yukari Royale size would be appealing. 

It was a close thing, but I bought the Nakaya. 

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I held one of these in my hand for the first time at the SF pen show this weekend, as well as a Nakaya about the same size. I think I could write quite happily with either one, and congratulations on getting the pen you like. I think I can see why the greater heft of the Yukari Royale size would be appealing. 

1 hour ago, Paul-in-SF said:

You won’t regret the Nakaya — I have one as well — a portable writer — and the nib was perfect right out the box.  It has been a very dependable and pleasing pen for over five years (probably more!). 

Yes, these higher end Pilots are quite the writing instruments. It's only a matter of time before an Emperor suddenly appears as a companion to the Yukari Royale. Just sayin... since this is always how this works:)

I can compare the Pilot #15 in 18k gold (on the Custom Urushi 845) in M with the Namiki #20 in 18k gold (on the Yukari Royale) in M.

With my two pens I would say that the Namiki is a hairwidth broader than the Pilot. But barely visible, hardly noticeable and completely ignorable.

@Toll Congratulations! It’s a stunning looking pen! I don’t have a Namiki but I have tried one from a friend (a Namiki Chinkin Silver Grass) and a Namiki Emperor from a retailer. I was really surprised how well the nibs wrote. Beautiful craftsmanship and high quality nib performance. I can easily why people love them. For someone who likes Urushi and a bit of heft for a pen, it’s perfect choice. Enjoy your new Namiki in good health and good time!

5 hours ago, como said:

@Toll Congratulations! It’s a stunning looking pen! I don’t have a Namiki but I have tried one from a friend (a Namiki Chinkin Silver Grass) and a Namiki Emperor from a retailer. I was really surprised how well the nibs wrote. Beautiful craftsmanship and high quality nib performance. I can easily why people love them. For someone who likes Urushi and a bit of heft for a pen, it’s perfect choice. Enjoy your new Namiki in good health and good time!

Thanks, it has been my pen of choice at the office for the past few days. It performs well on a variety of papers. I am now thinking about what my next Namiki might be. 

My first Namiki was a similar colour but in a M nib.  I bought it in a shop in Nagoya and I could remember how excited I was.  I loved the way the owner showcased the pen and how much respect they had for the workmanship of the pen.  I could sense that their respect was not just a salesman pitch but of a genuine awe.

Each time I hold that pen in my hand, I am transported back to my buying experience.

Enjoy the pen for many many many years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely pen, looking forward to a writing sample.  I am thinking of a first Namiki (to compare to a Nakaya I have ordered) and am in-between the Yukari Royale you have and the Chinkin. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

On 8/30/2021 at 7:57 AM, gerigo said:

Yes, these higher end Pilots are quite the writing instruments. It's only a matter of time before an Emperor suddenly appears as a companion to the Yukari Royale. Just sayin... since this is always how this works:)

That is sooooo true! 

I haven’t seen the Nayakya in the flesh but I have the Namiki Yuakri Royale #20 in black and I think it is a stunning pen which I couldn’t endorse highly enough - it just reeks of the very highest quality and good taste in every respect.  @dascott I can’t speak for the chinkin but I’m certain that you would never regret the Royale in vermillion or black if you decided to take that path.

In the past decade or so, I have owned two Danitrios and several Sailors, and none have remained in my collection. In all cases I was disappointed with the nibs and the writing experience. I have owned a Nakaya for several years and I can’t imagine selling or trading it — very comfortable in the hand and the nib is superb. And now there is the Namiki — the minute I picked it up I thought “this is a keeper” and I quickly decided to buy it. It has some “heft” or “substance” that the Nakaya does not have which I find compelling. It quite simply is a joy to behold, to hold, and to write with. Both the Nakaya and the Namiki are perfect representative Japanese pens in my collection (which is highly dominated by Montblanc). 

@TollMine arrived today and is every bit as good as your comments (and others) led me to expect.  A beautiful pen.  Mine's got a B nib that so far is writing perfectly straight out of the box.