Which Diamine inks shade best?

Bo Bo Olson

I have a bottle of Tyrian Purple and like it very much.  It's not the usual sort of purple, being more of a dusty red violet.  Don't remember how much it shades, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• DiveDr

• Penguincollector

• Dione

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Tyrian Purple,,,,,,,dusty red violet

As far as I know Roman Purple was that, and not blueish purple of my crayon box...and the reddish violet was also crayon box. So Wiki is Wrong!!!!!

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

That doesn't surprise me one iota.  And is the reason that (for the organization I belong to) documentation for A&S competition entries that is ONLY from Wikipedia is sort of frowned on).  Because Wikipedia is ONLY as good as the last update to the entry (and there have been cases of stuff like people being reported as dead and they're then going "No I most certainly am NOT dead!")

Of course it's also why, when some little dweeb troll decided to spam my FB page awhile back -- after I called him out about how "No, you can't just make up your own definitions for words, like claiming to be vegan but then blathering about how good the ice cream at a local ice cream parlor is..." (the place DOES make vegan ice cream, but he didn't SAY that...) -- to the point where a friend of mine thought I'd been hacked, I made a joke to her that I was pretty sure little Mr. Troll wouldn't get but she CERTAINLY would about how "Oh, he's just trying to be the new Harry Q. Bovik".  And the dweeb was going, "I DON'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE HIM!"  [Of course you don't you little dumb(bleep) -- there IS no such person -- it's a fake name used to track people, mostly telemarketers, who were stealing a copyrighted mailing list -- to the point that "Dr. Bovik" had an "office" (and the person who "shared" said office would answer the phone by saying stuff like "No, I'm sorry, he's not in at the moment -- he's at his SKYDIVING lesson...")].

And now, I actually just wrote a filk while thinking about the incident and the little whiny derp (who first claimed he had thousands of followers as a musician -- he apparently ACTUALLY makes living as a tattoo artist) *then* whined about the mean middle aged lady [me] PICKING on him:

Troll troll troll your dope

Gently down the feed

Verily verily verily verily

No one buys your screed….

ETA: Oh, and little Mr. Dweeb ALSO claimed to be a "social anarchist" [not a "political" one -- WTAF?] (at which point I wanted to pat him on the head and say "There there, it will be all right...." in a patronizing manner...).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

14 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

social anarchist

Some one who never learned anything in kindergarten.

I've been living a sheltered life.........nothing has really every happened to me on computer.....but I'm glad to learn of our man in Havana Harry Q. Bovik.  

Before computer is a completely different book...............of course it's missing the many romances, weekly bar fights and the normal back shooting and dynamiting by the light of the moon.

It's going to be ghosted by Jack London.;)

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

9 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

It's going to be ghosted by Jack London.;)

LoL!

I used Artoz Finest 90g a good Swiss paper, CT and Oxford Optic 90 g.

The only of the four inks to be a shade monster or nearly so, was Diamine Silver Fox, but it was for me a pure gray. On all three papers very good shading.:notworthy1: Did well with a Geha 760 semi-flex OB. Semi-flex is a wet nib, a regular flex nib being drier could be even better.ebmeyTq.jpg

Of the three following inks, I was disappointing in lack or mildness of the shading. Printing gave me some shading. I was using M's.

Tyrian Purple...little to no shading on Artoz, little on CT, and  a bit more on Oxford Optic 90g. A nothing special Burgundy. I could have used a much too wet nib on it a M, stainless steel (which is as good as their grand gold nibs)maxi-semi-flex Osmia/F-C mdl 540...will have to try a normal regular flex in M.ndEYUCd.jpg

Tobacco Sunburst, as dry as mentioned, some shading on Artoz, Quite light on CT, some shading, noting consistent. Least dry and best on Oxford Optic. Seeing how I use Oxford Optic most...an OK ink. Was not a noticeable dry ink on Oxford.

A Pelikan 150, in M.

Second pen from the left is the medium small black 150, between the Italian Pelikan 151, and the older Pelikan 120.

It's a pen I don't think I've ever used. It's that pen I mentioned getting dirt cheap at a junk/antique shop, where I told the man to leave the nib dirty, I'd clean it but he was deaf to my plea and with a paper towel rubbed off most of the gold plate.:wallbash: But for E-20 I didn't complain. The nib writes well. vqtRZ3s.jpg

Ancient Copper.....sort of similar IMO to Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown, which has a reddish tinge.

Nothing much in shading in Artoz, a bit more shading in CT, where it wrote very smoothly. On Oxford Optic, a bit darker than CT, some more shading, but not a shade monster.

I traded a pound of coffee for this '60-70's Senator half a year ago. M regular flex, the first time I used it.  In case crud happens, it is one of my lesser pens. 7lozlMh.jpg

Printing gave each ink more shading than cursive.

Silver Fox is a very good shader; near if not a shading monster. That ink will be re-ordered. And tried in a M or B regular flex nib.

I was looking at inks over coffee, and I really like the shading of Diamine Prussian Blue. I know Mountain of Ink says it’s a low shader, but I don’t think it is, looking at writing samples.  I’m linking a review done with a broad Kaweco on Clairfontaine 90gsm. I have it on my list to order. 

Diamine Prussian Blue review

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery