Pilot Custom Urushi - Vermillion

NickUK

Hey guys,

Thought I’d start this thread for anyone wanting to ask any questions about this pen. Appreciate there isn’t too much info out on it, especially in a broad nib!

I’m going to do a written and video review of it, hopefully by the end of the week, so for now…. Enjoy the photos!

03F6DFFF-5555-45CB-BF5A-D531E17836DB.thumb.jpeg.a20308de2dcb5f366b451667247351f9.jpegDE1F6DE8-C185-4D0B-8545-AD0E188223B6.thumb.jpeg.35952bc4f3496b4cc2e79b169ac6eb7c.jpeg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickUK

• Mew

• Linger

• hairlame

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Linger said:

Would it be possible for you make a comparison with the 845? The #30 vs the #15 nib?

Alas, that’s one thing I can’t do!

I can compare it to…..

Montblanc 149, Pelikan M805, Pelikan M1000, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age…….

But I’ve not used any other Pilot or Sailor pens I’m afraid. 

Congratulations on the pen!  I would be interested in a comparison between the Custom Urushi and the Pelikan M1000, when you have a moment.  Thanks!

18 hours ago, hairlame said:

Congratulations on the pen!  I would be interested in a comparison between the Custom Urushi and the Pelikan M1000, when you have a moment.  Thanks!

This will be up your street then!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 1:01 PM, NickUK said:

This will be up your street then!

Thank you for posting this, I really appreciate the comparison!  Its a great looking pen! 

Thanks for the video review, would you be able to measure the thickness of the grip section at its narrowest point? Thanks.

10 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Thanks for the video review, would you be able to measure the thickness of the grip section at its narrowest point? Thanks.

You are looking at 3.95cm which is 1.56 inches.

It tapers in towards the nib, and then flares out so you don't slip down - Very comfortable!

I really like the two I own. The black with FM nib and blue with M nib. 
Nib is quite soft, Maybe as soft as Pelikan M1000. 

@Linger - regarding the comparison with #15 nib, I found the #15 nib to be rigid as compared to #30. Connecting it to another thread of mutual interest, I asked hakase maybe an year ago if they would use #30, they said maybe in a few years for anniversary if possible. 

495BC890-AD18-471A-AFB4-66C19C15104B.jpeg

D47C0DBE-0E4A-4CCC-A150-5A248FC9FC98.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Mew said:

That is the first time I've seen the blue in person (rather than the promo pic!)

What a stunner!

Have you got writing samples of them both? I was tempted with the medium, but went broad in the end.

Are the blue ones still available?

5 minutes ago, NickUK said:

That is the first time I've seen the blue in person (rather than the promo pic!)

What a stunner!

Have you got writing samples of them both? I was tempted with the medium, but went broad in the end.

Are the blue ones still available?

I haven’t inked the black in more than a year. Blue I just cleaned out a couple of weeks ago. Writing sample below.

Blue was sold out on pre-order itself back in November-December 2019.  

04C1FEE9-3656-49DD-A2A5-7B87FE6F6C56.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Mew said:

Blue was sold out on pre-order itself back in November-December 2019.  

I'm amazed there isn't more info, pics, or anything on it!

I'd love to see a video if you ever have the time.

Thanks for the writing sample, I have a feeling I'd have been happy with the Medium, but wanted to really optimise the smoothness, so went with the broad.

It's perhaps a tiny (tiny) bit thicker than my ideal, but much easier to grind it down than get a medium and feel it's too thin!

22 minutes ago, Gunkanes said:

Thank you so much NickUK! that will be my next pen exactly in B!

Glad I could help!

I'd love to see photos when you get it :D 

21 hours ago, Mew said:

Nib is quite soft, Maybe as soft as Pelikan M1000. 

@Linger - regarding the comparison with #15 nib, I found the #15 nib to be rigid as compared to #30. Connecting it to another thread of mutual interest, I asked hakase maybe an year ago if they would use #30, they said maybe in a few years for anniversary if possible. 

Thx Mew, it confirms what I expected - the difference between Pilot #15 and #30 could be sort of a similar difference between Pelikan M800 and M1000. Well, that means I should try it out some time.

And, indeed, it would be nice to see what Hakase might do to the #30 nib, from a pure writing experience perspective, and to the pen to house it, from a model/design/proportions perspective. Fingers crossed...

The blue version is nice bytheway. No very many nice blue pens out there in my opinion. Which is weird considering the extremely large variety of blue inks...

23 hours ago, NickUK said:

Sorry, just to confirm, that's the total girth of the thinnest section.

The birds eye view width is 1.2 cm

On 9/8/2021 at 1:55 AM, NickUK said:

Sorry, just to confirm, that's the total girth of the thinnest section.

The birds eye view width is 1.2 cm

Thanks, I was wondering. I didn't specify diameter in my question, I assumed that diameter was the usual measurement for pen girth. 

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful Pens. Excuse my ignorance...is that the 845 or the larger Urushi?

I love that Blue. Is that available in the US market?

David

On 9/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, NickUK said:

What? That can't be true.

4 hours ago, NeverTapOut said:

Beautiful Pens. Excuse my ignorance...is that the 845 or the larger Urushi?

I love that Blue. Is that available in the US market?

David

That blue one is an LE of Maruzen Nihonbashi from 2020 (I think). It is the larger one. I heard it was sold out in hours.