EFNIR: Diamine Autumn Oak

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Autumn Oak

This is review #124 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: The color in the scan is too pale and a bit flat - the real color is darker and more interesting.  The zoom image is very close.  The screenshot is close to the right color, but looks flatter and less interesting than in real life.  Cleaning was quick and easy.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.DiamineAutumnOak.jpg.68f88cb1c409d6db8b9d7949c70ee54c.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.DiamineAutumnOakS.jpg.489a53ac1d3716cc8bfb02cb08d7a8a7.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.DiamineAutumnOakZ.jpg.283aa4c549b6317bbbf5a50d6fb2fab5.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.DiamineAutumnOakAP.jpg.54b0a94e034d32234e30f656559c51c4.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Diamine Amazing Amethyst.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Schaumburg_Swan

• MsRedpen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have this one, never got on with it. Sits on a shelf, waiting for a day when the right pen and paper come along. Or I get tired and toss it.

52 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

I have this one, never got on with it. Sits on a shelf, waiting for a day when the right pen and paper come along. Or I get tired and toss it.

:) Thanksgiving art?  A broad, juicy pen?  A stub, perhaps.

Thank you @LizEF as always! I really enjoy these EF reviews - not only do they give a different perspective on so many inks, but they regularly remind me of some I already have and want to use again.

This is one of those. I like Autumn Oak a lot. I've never understood why some people think it's too brown - I find it really vibrant and it shades beautifully. I think it does best in broader, wetter pens, and it's lovely with a dip nib. 

I was also reminded in the last couple of days of how much I like its brighter sibling - Pumpkin - so I suspect both of these will be getting an outing in the coming weeks :)

4 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you @LizEF as always!

:) You're welcome!

4 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I really enjoy these EF reviews - not only do they give a different perspective on so many inks, but they regularly remind me of some I already have and want to use again.

:D This realization is one of the primary ways I prevent myself from buying new pens and inks - I already have more than enough.  I just need to use them!

5 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

This is one of those. I like Autumn Oak a lot. I've never understood why some people think it's too brown - I find it really vibrant and it shades beautifully. I think it does best in broader, wetter pens, and it's lovely with a dip nib. 

Agreed all around.  Very nice color, will show off best in a fat, wet nib.

And, yeah, oranges will be coming into season soon - so to speak. ;)  Huh.  Maybe autumn should be coming in Quin & Makhabesh's world.  I'll have to ponder whether that makes any difference.

Wow Liz! Zoomed in photo is really accurate in colour!

My go to pen for Autumn oak is Pelikan White Tortoise with M, grind to CI. Complimenting colours and shading to the max!

Unsuccessful  chase for LE Edelstein Amber ended. 

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

34 minutes ago, MsRedpen said:

Wow Liz! Zoomed in photo is really accurate in colour!

:) That's nice to hear - it's so difficult and rare to get an image that works!

35 minutes ago, MsRedpen said:

My go to pen for Autumn oak is Pelikan White Tortoise with M, grind to CI. Complimenting colours and shading to the max!

:) Yes, Pelikan and their famous wetness seems like a good fit for this ink, and that particular model seems even better!

Hmmm.  I don't normally like orange inks.  But the warmth and brown-gold leaning of this one might make it be worth looking into.

Thanks for the review.  And, well, not.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

42 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Hmmm.  I don't normally like orange inks.  But the warmth and brown-gold leaning of this one might make it be worth looking into.

Thanks for the review.  And, well, not.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

:D You're welcome, and my apologies to your wallet. ;)

I have a sample of this....never would have occurred to me to put it in a pen with EF nib!  Must try.

Thanks again for the reviews.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I have a sample of this....never would have occurred to me to put it in a pen with EF nib!  Must try.

If you do try, let us know your thoughts. :)

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks again for the reviews.

You're welcome!

Hi,

very nice ink, but it dries sooo slow...

Thank You for the review.

Best

Jens

32 minutes ago, Schaumburg_Swan said:

very nice ink, but it dries sooo slow...

Hmm.  I know a lot of yellows take eternity to dry, but this was pretty fast at just over 4 seconds.  Maybe from a fat, wet nib it takes forever - I haven't tried that yet.

33 minutes ago, Schaumburg_Swan said:

Thank You for the review.

You're very welcome. :)

7 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Hmm.  I know a lot of yellows take eternity to dry, but this was pretty fast at just over 4 seconds.  Maybe from a fat, wet nib it takes forever - I haven't tried that yet.

You're very welcome. :)

Hi Liz,

4 seconds! That's fast.

Indeed it was a very wet nib, here the ink took over 10 minutes to dry...

Best wishes

Jens

6 minutes ago, Schaumburg_Swan said:

Hi Liz,

4 seconds! That's fast.

Indeed it was a very wet nib, here the ink took over 10 minutes to dry...

Best wishes

Jens

Wow!  Yeah, that's a long, long time! :D  Still faster than Noodler's Apache Sunset, which has yet to dry - for anyone, ever. ;)

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

Thanks

Welcome!

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

What happened to the:

Hmm.  I never thought about giving the goats wings.  I'll have to stuff that into the back of my brain and let it ruminate... :lticaptd:Meanwhile, the first "old goat" appears in episode 126 - the first episode of "The Old Goat Adventure".  As Robert Jordan would say, RAFO (Read And Find Out). :P 

If you find out before I do, let me know. ;)  I'm trying to decide if this adventure is:

1. a search & rescue (and if so, why a rescue is needed)
  2. a search for someone who can help (and if so, what we need help with)
  3. a search for [thing] (and if so, what [thing] is and why we need it)
  4. or a search & destroy (and if so, what evil is being done that we need to destroy; but this one would be a repeat of Marsell, so probably not).

22 minutes ago, yazeh said:

@LizEFIt could be a buddy movie, or Me, Makhabesh and the Holy goat... a comedy of errors......  :D

:lticaptd: I'm not sure my mind functions that way, but we'll see.  I already have the story up through 136 written - something of a pre-adventure - but the real adventure will have to begin shortly thereafter...

A snapshot/ snap/draw done by Makhabesh of his Sis and Quin in a social function presided by the holy goat. :D

I let you draw the conclusions ;)

605509375_Quintandwife2.jpg.4de8d2820d9f445c635bf1cb744cb9a8.jpg