Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

I am really reconsidering the Lamy Safari

CyberGigi

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Yet people STILL complain about the quality of the materials.

Maybe some people still have cracking issues with their pens.   😳?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Astronymus

• arcfide

• david-p

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe.  But I have one of the newer ones, after TWSBI changed the barrel material -- and if dropping the pen on the sidewalk didn't cause it to crack or break....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

13 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Maybe.  But I have one of the newer ones, after TWSBI changed the barrel material -- and if dropping the pen on the sidewalk didn't cause it to crack or break....

That proves that you got a good TWSBI pen!!!!  Great!

That does not prove all TWSBI pens are good. 

One case does not set the Norm.  
if people “still reporting cracking” had posted their experiences before you posted you positive experience by that logic would that mean that all TWSBIs still crack?

I assume the no one is lying.

That would tell me that your pen has performed perfectly and some other examples have cracked. 

If I had not read that TWSBI had changed the material due to the high number of complaints, I might agree with the complaints.  Given that mine is a newer material one, I'm actually surprised that people are still complaining about even the newer pens -- and merely provided a counter-example.  

I know that mine is newer because they changed the material before the Pink 580-AL came out.  But would I buy another one?  Dunno.  They are the limit of what is comfortable for me to write with, weight wise (especially when posted).  And I still think that the piston not extending all the way to the end of the feed is a design flaw (and I've heard that even the smaller pens -- the Eco and Eco T -- have the same type of issue).  

All I was saying is that mine (being a newer pen using the newer barrel material) did NOT break.  And I'm somewhat bemused by the fact that people are still whining about this happening when they don't seem to be doing that for the MB "precious resin" pens (for ten times the price of an 580-AL) NEARLY as much -- because early on in my sojourn here, "precious resin" seemed to be a euphemism for "will shatter if the pen falls on the floor"....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In another thread here, I discovered that the mango safari has a clip that is the same colour as the pen, and this makes its great size less of an aesthetic problem for me: indeed, I would say that it brings the aesthetics in balance with the functionality of this great design.

David