TACCIA 8-pen Kimono pen-rol

namrehsnoom

TACCIA 8-pen Kimono Pen Roll (Mosaic pattern)

TACCIA is a Japanese stationery company, that - as far as I know - is now part of the Nakabayashi group. They offer high-quality fountain pens, inks, pen-rolls, notebooks, etc. 

One of the products TACCIA produces are beautiful Kimono Pen Rolls, that are crafted with Nishijin Kinran, a traditional Japanese weaving technique that is in use since the 5th century. The patterns of these elegant Japanese pen wraps are inspired by the traditional Japanese Kimono robe. 

large.7717157_TACCIA-pen-roll-rolledtight.jpeg.196d3dbb59ea882b156eb8834b56cce7.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago, I bought the 8-pen version of this pen-roll in the Mosaic pattern, as a birthday present for myself. This TACCIA pen-roll fits two purposes: 1/ it’s a functional object designed to protect your pens, and 2/ it’s a thing of beauty with great aesthetics, that just gives you a lot of pleasure.

large.1483797267_TACCIA-pen-roll-penholders.jpeg.66175c23355922dbbde3e858b6bb9cd8.jpeg

large.1635109051_TACCIA-pen-roll-coveringopen.jpeg.b9e01a512b394db035ec6789dc0efd95.jpeg

large.906955766_TACCIA-pen-roll-pencoveringclosed.jpeg.484104114bf35731a58777acf2622c35.jpeg

Physically, it’s just an oversized pen-roll. The 8-pen version measures about 38 x 24 cm, and is made from tightly-woven thick polyester, fastened by a traditional rope and hook. Pens are kept in 8 suede slots, that can hold any size of pen (even really oversized ones). A suede cover flap keeps your pens in place, and protects the pens from one another when rolling up the pen-wrap. 

large.1557863670_TACCIA-pen-roll-nobdetail.jpeg.3ec1e8cc3235c858f033cb67b635ac8b.jpeg

large.1006989895_TACCIA-pen-roll-branding.jpeg.985137f8eb67d06d23bb708b40dd3227.jpeg

I typically use this pen-roll in one of two ways. Either I do a classic roll-up, where you end up with a more-or-less circular bundle of about 6 cm in diameter. Or I do a 3-fold wrap, where you end up with a flat slab of about 12 cm in width and 3 cm in height. I use both wrapping methods, depending on where I need to stow away my pens. In both cases you use the rope and hook to close up the pen-roll.

large.762774624_TACCIA-pen-roll-rolledloose.jpeg.447a98486e931423d8936310e7d5c5eb.jpeg

This traditional Kimono pen-roll radiates both beauty and quality. The traditional Mosaic pattern with its dark-silver and gold square design looks stunningly beautiful, and the weaving is top-notch. You just feel that you’re holding a high-quality object. I also appreciate the minimalistic branding - just a simple leather tag saying “TACCIA - Japan”. The decorative patterns extends to the inside of the pen-roll, which is a really nice touch that amplifies the aesthetics. A beautiful and well-executed design!

My fountain pens are precious to me, and with this TACCIA pen-roll they have a beautiful-looking and well-protected home while I’m carrying them with me. These pen-rolls are not cheap (about 100 EUR for the 8-pen version), but in my opinion still great value for money - both beautiful and functional. I love mine, and am glad I bought it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aysedasi

• Arcadian

• mizgeorge

• DvdRiet

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

I just ordered a four pen roll in wave pattern. This will be my first pen roll, and I am curious to see whether it wins me over from the Western style pen cases. 

- P. 

Oh, I missed this original post but I recently bought the very same pen roll. It is absolutely beautiful!! It's very big, though, as I presume it is made to protect the large urushi pens. I thought I would put my (tiny) vintage celluloids in there for breathable protection but it definitely dwarfs them! Needless to say, I didn't really look at the measurements before I bought it.

It is fantastically soft on the inside, with the pen sections gathered with a bit of elastic sewn inside - the ultimate protection from scratching any of your pens!

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.